What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-ray Review: Logan's Run (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
aaah Jenny Agutter, the best visual effect in Logan's Run. Rick, you should check out Jenny in all her glory in the Australian film Walkabout. Worth a go-ogle.

Logan's Run, classic 70's sci-fi, I saw it at the cinema. I loved the matte paintings but the special effects were subpar even for that time. They won that years Oscars though, a joint award with the King Kong remake. Jerry Goldsmith's score was ace, I have the CD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman Missed that completely. It's amazing the impact such things can have on hormonal adolescent males!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Glad to hear Billy's comments on the transfer, I'm hoping my copy arrives tomorrow. I'm also hoping that a lot of the distracting artifacts from the DVD are absent, especially the stair climbing sequence where the matte painting was moving. The effects were always cheesy, that's part of the charm of this era of film.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
The problem I have now with this discovery is I do not know at which point Logan has a change of heart. For all I know, he could be still loyal to the Sandmen even when they return to the city after encountering the old man. Well, I suppose there is the fight with Francis. It *is* clear once he and Jessica swim back inside the dome and try to inform the others that they can be free.

The line is kinda blurry now.

Originally Posted by Don Giro

Jeff: it has nothing to do with HD, the scene where Logan summons the Sandmen has always been a "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" moment. I was just more aware of it over the years because I had read the Marvel Comics adaptation SO many times...

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Robertson

The problem I have now with this discovery is I do not know at which point Logan has a change of heart. For all I know, he could be still loyal to the Sandmen even when they return to the city after encountering the old man. Well, I suppose there is the fight with Francis. It *is* clear once he and Jessica swim back inside the dome and try to inform the others that they can be free.

The line is kinda blurry now.
I watched this disc last night. I think it was only my second viewing of the film. I can't really remember my first. I guess it must not made much of a first impression upon me other than being a bit hokey. This time around it was still hokey, but enjoyable nevertheless. I thought the disc had a film-like presentation even though the audio seemed a bit shrill to me.

As for your realization above, I did catch Logan summoning the Sandmen in this viewing. I assumed he had a change of heart right after he killed another Sandman just before his fight with Franics, which is a pretty quick change of heart anyway you slice it. Perhaps Logan just felt sorry for the Runners. Farah Fawcett's performance in the scene immediately after the Sandmen summoning is enough to make anyone feel pity. :D

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
See, I've always believed that Logan summoned the Sandmen as a fearful act of self-preservation, not out of any kind of loyalty to "the job." I'd say that his "change of heart" was complete when he discovered that ALL the missing Runners were killed by Box...

When he and Jessica see that their lifeclocks have turned clear, they both realize that they are free from the constraints of the City. Logan's DONE with being a Sandman.

Then, of course, they go back to The City and Michael York performs my second all-time favorite Great Moment in Bad Acting ("You don't HAVE to die at 30! You can live! LIVE!").

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
LIVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEE!

Love it.

Originally Posted by Don Giro

Then, of course, they go back to The City and Michael York performs my second all-time favorite Great Moment in Bad Acting ("You don't HAVE to die at 30! You can live! LIVE!").

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Capricorn 15's. Born 2244. Enter the Carousel. This is the time of renewal.

How many here have spotted the guy doing the Vulcan salute at the end of the film, before the credits?

Yep Star Trek is still popular, even in the 23rd century.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Steve Christou ">[/url]

[b]Capricorn 15's. Born 2244. Enter the Carousel. This is the time of renewal. [/b]

How many here have spotted the guy doing the Vulcan salute at the end of the film, before the credits?

Yep Star Trek is still popular, even in the 23rd century.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by RickER /forum/thread/294780/htf-blu-ray-review-logan-s-run#post_3627685

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just viewed this last night, and am pretty happy with the image quality, even though it does seem a bit softer than I had hoped for. I didn't notice the same artifacts that are on the DVD, however the increased resolution did make me notice a few things I hadn't before, like Jessica wearing leotards. :)

One other '70s film that really needs a new release is Outland, as the DVD used the old LD transfer which wasn't great to begin with.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I picked this one up as a blind-buy to get over the $25 marker for Super Saver Shipping on Amazon. The minature work with the city exteriors doesn't hold up at all in 1080P, but

the matte paintings at the end of D.C. are very well done. Tremendously effective work, that left the most dated qualities of the rest of the film behind.

Having just recently watched Walkabout on Blu, it was a suprise to see Jenny Agutter pop up again so soon.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

I picked this one up as a blind-buy to get over the $25 marker for Super Saver Shipping on Amazon. The minature work with the city exteriors doesn't hold up at all in 1080P, but

the matte paintings at the end of D.C. are very well done. Tremendously effective work, that left the most dated qualities of the rest of the film behind.

Having just recently watched Walkabout on Blu, it was a suprise to see Jenny Agutter pop up again so soon.

As I remember the minatures did not hold up on 35mm, but the rest of the story made up for that.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Apparently, most posters here didn't read Nolan's novel. It's always a problem to explain situations in a movie according to the supposed equivalents in the original novel (see Blade Runner), so I won't do it.

I happened to have read the novel before I saw the movie (and I did like the movie a lot, the cheesy effects were somehow acceptable back then).

Those who want to know about the differences between the script and the novel, and how (many of) those came into existence, here's a (dated) Logan's Run tribute page, still up, never finished, but still pretty informative. I don't know anything about the author of that site though.

Cees

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I read the book back in the day. Still have it. Never read the other 2 or 3...that came after it.

Wasnt last day 20 in the book?

Michael York was pushing it with "looking" 30. For the life of me, i couldnt think of any good male actors in the 70s, that were young 20s, who could carry a film.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RickER

Wasnt last day 20 in the book?

21, IIRC. The color of the hand crystal changed three times, one color for the first seven years, green for the second seven years, red for the last seven years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks