What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Dumb and Dumber (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Dumb and Dumber
Unrated: More Dumber Than Evur!

Release Date: Available now (original release date December 9, 2008)
Studio: New Line Cinema
Packaging/Materials: Single-disc Blu-Ray case
Year: 1994
Rating: NR
Running Time: 1h52m
MSRP: $28.99

MAIN FEATURESPECIAL FEATURES
Video1080p high definition 16x9 1.85:1May be in standard definition
AudioDolby TrueHD: English 5.1; Dolby Digital: English 5.1, German 5.1Audio standards my vary
SubtitlesEnglish and GermanGerman (on select bonus material)

The Feature: 3/5
Everything is dumb about Harry and Lloyd (Jeff Daniels and Jim Carrey), especially their luck. It's allowed Lloyd to meet the beautiful Mary Swanson (Lauren Holly), though when he mistakenly acquires the briefcase full of ransom money meant to save her husband, dumb luck will ultimately help Harry and Lloyd survive the thugs sent to hunt them down. That is, if Harry and Lloyd aren't done in by their own sheer stupidity.

Directed by the Farrelly Brothers, "Dumb and Dumber" is nothing if not truth in advertising. While the title certainly describes its main characters, it also applies to the film's narrative track. Just when you think things can't get any more ridiculous, they do. It makes for some genuine hilarity at times, but ultimately there's a bit more miss than hit (though the film certainly did well enough to move Carrey along towards greater comedic stardom). What ultimately surprises is Daniels, who wasn't known for comedy at the time, but who certainly rose (or sank) to the occasion, more than holding his own alongside the comedic whirlwind that is Carrey. While "Dumb and Dumber" is not a great film, it fulfills its mission, even though it means some pretty lowbrow antics.

"Dumb and Dumber" on Blu-Ray features the unrated cut of the film, which includes six minutes of material not shown in theaters.

Video Quality: 3/5
Though labeled as 1.85:1 the generally blemish-free image fills the entirety of my 16x9 display. The picture's black levels are stable and inky, though there are moments of black crush obscuring shadow detail. Flesh tones appear accurate overall, though colors in general seem a tad muted and drab. Close ups have more apparent detail than wide shots, suggesting there's some filtering or noise reduction in play, and some scenes have some noticeable halos along high contrast edges. Fine object detail is consequently lacking and some shots can look relatively soft, making for average video quality all around.

Audio Quality: 3/5
The Dolby TrueHD audio track is primarily front-focused with nominal activity in the surrounds for some atmospheric effects and light music cues. Things sound a touch edgy in the upper frequencies and the front soundstage is pretty rigidly configured, but dialogue is consistently clear and intelligible. LFE is non-existent.

Special Features: 2.5/5
The Blu-Ray release includes all the extras from the 2006 DVD edition.

"Still Dumb After All These Years" (18m35s): Recollections from cast and crew on the casting and production, though Carrey is noticeably absent along with the directors.

Trailers: Three theatrical previews and one TV spot totaling almost seven minutes. The two "Dumb" and "Dumber" trailers are interesting examples of how a little editing and narration can change the story.

Additional Scenes (33m55s): Twelve scenes, most of which were deleted for good reason. Some include interviews of the actors reflecting on the filming.

Extras (7m45s): Actors look back on the filming of four popular scenes, including Daniels's moment on the toilet, Carrey's kung fu fight, the gas station fire stunt, and the creation of the most annoying sound in the world. Again Carrey is a no-show in the interviews.

Recap

The Feature: 3/5
Video Quality: 3/5
Audio Quality: 3/5
Special Features: 2.5/5
Overall Score (not an average): 3/5

A nonsensical comedy with a perfectly descriptive title gets average treatment across the board.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review, Cameron. Due to a dearth of reviews, I reluctantly sat on this BR for a while hoping that someone would review it. Good job as this is one of the only reviews out there. I had read some comments on other sites about the picture quality so when I finally unwrapped it the other day, I was nervous about how the film was treated on Blu-ray as it's one of my favorite comedies. Despite some of the negative things I read, the picture quality is really not that bad. I think the 3/5 rating is fair in this instance. I also agree that the close ups look better than the wider shots, but can't really comment on the use of DNR on this title. As some more reviews trickle out, I'm curious to see if they identify on whether or not DNR was applied.

Also, aside from the hot tub and trucker stop scenes, I really didn't recognize any additional material that stood out to me. I find it somewhat ridiculous that people wouldn't pick up this title based on it's "Uncut" moniker but it would have been nice to have both so the viewer could make the decision. For me, neither of the aforementioned scenes really added nor subtracted from the theatrical cut nor changed the "feel" of the film (as some have suggested), so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

Lastly, the film did not fill up my 16x9 display, so I'm not quite sure what's going on with your display.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
New Line was hands down the worst studio when it came to DNR on Blu-ray; I'm glad Warner has taken control of their Blu-ray releases.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think you and I have run into this before. Warner titles usually are 1.78 when listed as 1.85, but I don't think New Line has been known to do this. I'll double check things when I get the chance.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I looked at the title on a front projection setup and it was also missing the sliver of black bars. I threw in Run Lola Run for comparison and it had the black bars.

What type of display are you using Ron?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Very strange indeed. If it were the days of the tube we could chalk it up to overscan...

HDGeorge

Auditioning
Real Name
George Miller
Unless I can buy it cheap, I'll be sticking with my SD DVD.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I'm nearly positive this title filled up my 16x9 display, and I know that I had my display set to Dot by Dot as well. I'll try and double check tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks