What's new

How I Met Your Mother - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
HIMYM gets a 2 Season pickup.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/cbs-renews-how-i-met-your-mother-for-2-more-seasons/

Be prepared to not find out who the mother of Ted's kids is for another 2 years. CBS and How I Met Your Mother producer 20th Century Fox Television have closed a deal to pick up the relationship comedy from Carter Bays and Craig Thomas for 2 additional seasons, through May 2013. I think this is the earliest HIMYM has been renewed; the underrated series usually gets the nod just before CBS' annual upfront.

With the show continuing to grow in its sixth season and the future of CBS comedy tentpole Two and a Half Men uncertain, I hear 20th TV got nice coin for HIMYM: a new license fee of about $3.3 million per episode. The cast - Josh Radnor, Jason Segel, Cobbie Smulders, Neil Patrick Harris and Alyson Hannigan - are all set to return.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good news. Hopefully, though, the eighth season will be it, and they decide on that upfront. This is a show that would definitely benefit from knowing how many half hours they have until the end.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It was nice to see Ted's house again, and the progress he's made on it since it was an everything-infested disaster. NPH and Lithgow acted the shit out of their scenes together. So Barney's got a half-sister, and another half-brother.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps my favorite left field theory I've heard so far about the mother:

Jerome Sr.'s college-age daughter is the Mother, and Barney really is Uncle Barney.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The best scene, for me, revolved around the basketball hoop at the end. But then, I'm also a sucker for dramatic and emotional scenes like that. It was real and honest, without a hint of pretension.

More like that, please.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Originally Posted by Jason_V

The best scene, for me, revolved around the basketball hoop at the end. But then, I'm also a sucker for dramatic and emotional scenes like that. It was real and honest, without a hint of pretension.

More like that, please.

I felt just the opposite. If every kid should have a basketball hoop, why are you stealing a young boy's hoop? You're not a kid anymore and can afford to buy your own. Another selfish moment from Barney.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You do realize that the basketball hoop was a metaphor, right?

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

You do realize that the basketball hoop was a metaphor, right?

Yes, of course he's upset about not having a dad during his childhood, but he still selfishly stole another boy's hoop.

Of course, Barney is the epitome of selfishness on HIMYM.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Joe Bernardi

Yes, of course he's upset about not having a dad during his childhood, but he still selfishly stole another boy's hoop.

Of course, Barney is the epitome of selfishness on HIMYM.

Well, another valid viewpoint is that it should have been his to begin with, so he was simply "taking it back." I actually think that was the intent of the scene and the emotion of it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Joe Bernardi
I felt just the opposite. If every kid should have a basketball hoop, why are you stealing a young boy's hoop? You're not a kid anymore and can afford to buy your own. Another selfish moment from Barney.

Yes, he can afford to buy his own, but that's not the point. Barney felt-and rightly so-he was left out in the cold by not having a father and all the things having one would entail. Including the basketball hoop. See, we can probably trace Barney's attitude and lifestyle now right back to not having that father in his life. If he did have John Lithgow around, he would not have had to cover his feelings of abandonment with material things, outlandish sexual behavior and all that other jazz. In essence, we'd have a brand new Barney. The selfishness goes right back to Dad. Dad left and Barney has good reason not to be selfish. It's gotten him what he thinks he wants up until this point.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
^ Showcased by him immediately giving the hoop to Ted for his dream house. Barney didn't want or need a basketball hoop. It was the act of taking it that mattered to him, a means of venting emotions that he didn't quite know how to grapple with.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was grumbling about MIMYM earlier this season, and probably last season. But this last bunchy of episodes has been really good! The latest one was classic HIMYM, with the goofy selection of alcoholic beverages, and invented flashbacks to how everyone behaves (Ted's awesome beat-boxing from Bourbon was the best).

My one anxiety is that we know Ted's girlfriend will concoct emotional stories to get her way. I'm worried that her story about growing up in the Poseidon Building (whatever that place is called) is cock-and-bull to get Ted on her side. Hopefully not. But this relationship is destined to fail, so that might be the specific cause.

Was glad to see the cockamouse again :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DaveF

My one anxiety is that we know Ted's girlfriend will concoct emotional stories to get her way. I'm worried that her story about growing up in the Poseidon Building (whatever that place is called) is cock-and-bull to get Ted on her side.

I assumed this was the case. The whole thing is quite toxic.

Apparently parts of the last two episodes were filmed under lock and key, so I'm guessing we'll get some big hints as to where things are going.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by mattCR

I assumed this was the case. The whole thing is quite toxic.

Apparently parts of the last two episodes were filmed under lock and key, so I'm guessing we'll get some big hints as to where things are going.
Glad I'm not the only one :)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Great season finale.

- Lily's velociraptor vomiting, and the real reason for it

- Marshall's interview

- probably the best special effect shot ever in a sitcom (ok, it stunk. But for a sitcom...)

- the mother reveal fake-out

- the ending reveal of Barney as the groom at the future wedding.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My favorite part is that it sets up season seven to be more substantial than seasons five and six were: Barney has to evolve to become the kind of man who would stand at the altar; whether he goes through with the wedding or not, we now know that he at least made it to the church on time. Marshall and Lily have to become people who can be parents. That means not getting drunk every night at the local bar, which is probably why the show's put it off so long, but it means exploring fresh territory with Lily in particular, whose gotten a bit stale as a character. And whether it's Nora or Robin who ultimately walks down that aisle, the love triangle is set up in a way that Robin's going to have to confront the type of person she wants to be. Ted's hapless enough that his relationships never really last. She has the security of knowing he's there on the back burner if she ever wants him. But Nora's great with Barney, and Robin knows it. If she wants Barney for herself, she's going to have to make a move -- a move that risks ruining a great thing between Barney and Nora.

Everyone pretty much knows that season eight is going to be the last season, so that gives them 44-48 episodes to wrap everything up. I'm hoping the last two seasons are as serialized and tightly plotted as the first two seasons.

...and the demolition of the Arcadian has to be the single most expensive special effect in the history of "How I Met Your Mother".

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A decent closer; though I'm not feelin well tonight so maybe it was better than I thought. Partly, I guessed from the get go that Lily was pregnant so it took out the anxiety from Marshall's vomit countdown. Didn't like lily as raptor; it didn't sound right to me. It came across like they let the intern do sound effects for those scenes. I liked Ted freaking over the bulbs. I loved lily being pregnant. I loved marshals emotional collapse at the end. It was earned. The "mother" fakeout was great. Glad to see Zoe gone. At the end, she remained wholly self-centered and a lousy person. Not enthused about Robin being wistful for Barney. Don't want to revisit those two as a couple. The season had a great latter half. I'm looking forward to next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks