What's new

How I Met Your Mother - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Originally Posted by mattCR

Well that episode answered a question I've had for a while: how does he keep all these stories straight? Good to see them play with the kids in the future and his "I have no idea where I'm going, that isn't right.." and mixing up dates and events. I thought that was a cute gag and well played. The Mermaid Theory... good stuff, I will have to remember that one.

They've done that sort of thing before, like when he misremembered when the goat incident happened. It does make it easier to let inconsistencies slide.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
By the end of the episode I was looking forward to seeing Coby Smulders in full-on mermaid form only to have my hopes dashed...

Maybe it was the alcohol kicking in last night, but the happy/evil Captain picture had me chuckling pretty good, too. My how Kyle MacLachlan has aged!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Cute episode. I liked the Captain story a lot. The happy/crazy photo was great, and the followon gag with the shadow killed me. The mermaid was ok. I wasnt particularly amused by the Lily / Barney story, but it wasnt terrible.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
"The Captain can get a little murdery when he's nervous."

I liked how Ted kept misremembering scenes with Barney & Lily where he wasn't even there in the first place.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Well, last night's episode had a bummer of an ending. I'm not sure why it was really necessary.

The whole countdown from 50 gimmic was a bit distracting, too.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Remember at the start of the season, they were wearing dark suits at some sort of event (before Ted said he had to roll it back a bit). I assume it was the funeral, and the rest of the season is working toward that event.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

Remember at the start of the season, they were wearing dark suits at some sort of event (before Ted said he had to roll it back a bit). I assume it was the funeral, and the rest of the season is working toward that event.

wasn't that the lesbian wedding of his future wife's roomate?

and i agree it was a downer, but i like the fact that the show will go to those places and not always be a gimmick of the week, the stuff with barny and doppleganger was classic mother but change can be good

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Greg Kettell

At the very end, I noticed oddly prominent numbers, and caught 7,6,, 3,2,1. Was there a # theme the entire show? Did it tie into something?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by DaveF

At the very end, I noticed oddly prominent numbers, and caught 7,6,, 3,2,1. Was there a # theme the entire show? Did it tie into something?

[/QUOTE]

It was counting down to the reveal at the end (Lily's cab was 0001).

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i didn't notice it at all and i'm glad i didn't, i watched it the second time around, knowing, and it was horribly distracting.

kinda reminds me of the Community episode earlier this season where Abed had an entire silent subpolt taking place in the main characters' backgrounds.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I picked up How I Met Your Mother: Season One for ten bucks at Walmart on Black Friday, and since have watched four or five episodes most nights carrying me right through to tonight, when I caught up to last Monday's episode.

What a ride! The first three seasons did a great job of telling Ted's story as one long continuous whole in a way that's really rare for a multi-camera sitcom. I enjoyed seasons four and five, too, but they became a little bit too episodic, and a little bit too enamored with Barney Stinson. This season has really righted the ship so far, with the focus back on the overarching story. It's also nice to have Lily be likable again.

Was there any reason for the countdown? I caught onto it around the "44 beers on tap" sign. At first I thought it was a countdown of the number of days Marshall and Lily had been trying to conceive, but then it ended with the biggest shocker since Stella left Ted at the altar (actually, more shocking since we know we won't meet Ted's wife until the end). Having been spoiled by the headline on an article on a website, every time Marshall blew off his dad's calls, I was waiting for him to regret it the rest of his life. Fortunately, the show gave him the kind of final time with his dad that we'd all like to have, in an episode that was a great showcase of the Marvin Eriksen Sr. character.

And one thing this show does well is take the time to play out these emotional revelations. I'm sure we'll be feeling the repercussions of this for many episodes to come.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wow. Just. wow.

The climax of this last episode was one of the most real, gut-wrenching moments in TV I've seen. I was pleading with it to reach the moment when the voice message revealed the last few actual words from Marshall's father. THey had to be there--*had* to be there.

Even now, as I think to that scene, my eyes are wet.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Great episode, with Ted and Barney's cell phone videos as the only false note. I read an interview on TV Line with Carter Bays, where he said the whole sixth season was designed "as the 'before' and 'after' – the first 12 episodes of the season were setting up the situation, and now it will all unfold."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a big fan of stunt casting, but if you're going to do it, do it the way "How I Met Your Mother" does it. Either the celebrities are there as themselves to pay off a punchline, or they're treated like any other guest star. If you didn't know who Katy Perry was, you would easily assume that Honey was just the latest in a long string of anonymous not-mothers that Ted's gone on a date with.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Call me a sap, but I really enjoyed the episode, the whole thing with the phone notwithstanding. I'm a newbie to the show this year, but after seeing Ted struggle with finding and keeping a woman through reruns, the ending made me happy.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

I'm not a big fan of stunt casting, but if you're going to do it, do it the way "How I Met Your Mother" does it. Either the celebrities are there as themselves to pay off a punchline, or they're treated like any other guest star. If you didn't know who Katy Perry was, you would easily assume that Honey was just the latest in a long string of anonymous not-mothers that Ted's gone on a date with.

Yeah, they really did a good job with the casting. It's good that she played hte part so well. I think if you're going to use guest cast, you do it like this.. where it's not a big deal. My friend at work didn't know who Katy Perry was, and thought whoever tehy cast was good as a ditz

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
As I said to my wife, "what's the point? They're just going to have to break up later". I don't know why anyone should care about any girlfriend of Ted's at this point on an emotional level since they all have expiration dates.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Human nature, I guess. Why do we care about a movie so deeply when we know the characters aren't real? Why do we argue passionately about things like LOST when we know they're going to end? Why bother forming relationships in the real world when people die, move away, have a falling out or otherwise lose contact? It's the journey, not so much the final "stop." Every girlfriend Ted gets, for example, teaches him and the audience something. Same goes for people we encounter in the real world. If you take one lesson away from every meaningful relationship you have, you will end up better than when you started.

Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

As I said to my wife, "what's the point? They're just going to have to break up later". I don't know why anyone should care about any girlfriend of Ted's at this point on an emotional level since they all have expiration dates.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I'm not talking about a general suspension of belief. What I'm referring to specifically on HIMYM is that the writer/producers are trying to make it seem like it's so great that these characters finally hooked up when we know they're just going to pull that rug out from under us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks