What's new

How I Met Your Mother - season 7 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
We get 2 episodes of "How I Met Your Mother" to start its 7th season on CBS at the 8 p.m. EDT timeslot.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That was a very solid hour for "HIMYM". It reminded me of the early seasons more than the last couple seasons have. I think Nora's lovely, so I loved all of that stuff, and Barney and Robin's dance was legen -- wait for it... -- dary.
Mainly, it was a relief that the characters were likable again. Still wish this were the last season. It's fairly obvious that Bays & Thomas are content to drag this one out for as long as CBS is willing to renew it. If ever there was a show that should have settled on a target number of seasons from the beginning, it's this one. If Ted's daughter is 16 in 2030, that means she has to be born in 2014, which means she has to be conceived in 2013. So realistically, the show can only go two seasons past this one, and that's practically if Ted knocks up the mother the same day he meets her.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I like the idea of Robin and Barney together, but I don't like the jerking around. I too wish they had settled on a predetermined length, but if they can keep things up I'll be sticking around to watch.

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida
So did anyone else notice how prominent the color purple was in the first two episodes. Many of the characters and extras wore various shades of purple. At the ball at the end, the floral arrangements were purple as well.
Finally, the surprise character at the end was also wearing purple.
I don't remember what the significance of that color is to the series, but I guess all the purple was leading up to who Ted would see at the end.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I disagree about this series "needing" an end date. You guys are absolutely right about the age-math and when Ted should meet the mother, but for me it's still a half hour sitcom. As long as it's funny, keep it on the air. I'm in no hurry. I hope when they do end it they do it with a good resolution, and that would be much easier if it were planned, but if they give me solid seasons in between, I can look past the strained credibility.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Of all the potential mothers introduced at moments when the show's renewal chances were up in the air, Victoria was by far my favorite. Six years later, Josh Radnor and Ashley Williams still have the kind of chemistry that keeps me glued to the screen.
I like that they're getting into the Ted-Robin-Barney dynamic. It's an obstacle to finding the mother that the show hasn't mined yet, and it holds the prospect of real growth for Ted, something we haven't seen in quite a while.
These three episode have been the strongest start to a season since season three, maybe even season two.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I agree exploring the Ted-Robin-Barney issue in more depth is a good direction, but there's been some speculation about what that all entails. At the very least, I think Robin is a platonic crutch for Ted and probably vice versa. Does that mean the three have to separate for a time to figure things out for themselves? In the real world, that is usually the case, but I'm not sure how that will work in a show that runs best when all five characters are interacting. I didn't really care for the periods when Robin was off in Japan or Marshall was away at his family's for an extended period...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I admit it's kind of clever to have the group psycho-analyzed by Robin's ex-shrink, though this seems to be somewhat of a theme this season with sitcoms performing evaluations of their characters and their relationships to each other (e.g. Community). As usual my concern is that the exercise robs the show of its humor and becomes a buzz kill. After all, it's because of the characters' weirdness that we watch the show. If we're told they have problems, that takes a lot of the fun out of it. Again, I cite the Seinfeld finale.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Cameron Yee said:
I think that may have been your shortest post ever Adam. :D
I'm not exactly known for brevity, you've got that right.:) Really hectic around here at the moment, but I couldn't let Barney's "I can still turn this around" after the jumper go unacknowledged.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Really enjoyed the episode last night. The time lapse recap of Ted and Marshall's "Quest for Nachos" was hilarious - especially the creepy cowboy revelation.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The time lapse was especially funny because I was frankly pretty bored with the whole "dazed and confused" story. The payoff just made all the tedium worth it.

Poor Barney. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Charlton /t/314919/how-i-met-your-mother-season-7-thread#post_3870662
Really enjoyed the episode last night. The time lapse recap of Ted and Marshall's "Quest for Nachos" was hilarious - especially the creepy cowboy revelation.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Jason Charlton said:
Really enjoyed the episode last night.  The time lapse recap of Ted and Marshall's "Quest for Nachos" was hilarious - especially the creepy cowboy revelation.
Love that part. It's a sign, dude!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The final beat of tonight's episode was something the show's needed for a long time, even if I didn't realize it: a genuine surprise, a development that means the show isn't simply spinning its wheels. The characters have been pretty static for a long time, and that development promises to shake up Robin's character and almost certainly Barney's as well. We know Ted's conclusion is off on the horizon somewhere. At least the other characters can move forward.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Turns out that was Jai Rodriguez from Queer Eye For the Straight Guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks