What's new

How do you feel... (1 Viewer)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Wow. I wonder if someone reminded the author of how that might be abusing store policies, they might decide it was not a good idea and they would not do it again?

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
Retail stores are not Rental agencies.

Loss is part of the buisness-it's factored into the numbers-but rental is not-and it's unethical.

Rogo

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
From that quotation, I'd have to agree with you, Chu. It definitely seems like an abuse of store policies and another method of obtaining gear should be found.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
This one's kinda sad, actually. On one hand we have the hope for a balanced and unbiased competent review, but with such a questionable (and obvious!)lapse in ethics (given that quote), you're then left with wondering what other lapses come easy @ Secrets? One thing's for sure - the "alledged perpeprator" never spent any time in retail, 'cause if they had they'd know they just took money out of someone's pocket (and food right out of the mouths of their little children - sniff!).

And the ends does not justify the means - we're not heading down that slippery slope, right? Bottom line here is still to go about your business with a "golden rule" approach. It takes a lifetime to build a bulletproof reputation but only a moment to put a big dent in the armor...

Drew_W

Screenwriter
A friend of mine who works at a local Best Buy told me about an older couple who buys new VCRs every 3 weeks, and returns the ones they bought 3 weeks earlier. They've gone through Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba...pretty much everything in the store.

I generally agree with the idea of the return policy. Even my local dealer (a little plug for Brack here) lets me take home gear from Saturday night to Tuesday morning and try it out in my system. They take an imprint of my CC, and "sell" me their demo.

When we get into big box stores though, the ones with actual return policies, they're there for a reason. Last I checked, it didn't say "if you're done with the product" or "if you don't need it anymore" ...return it within 30 days. On the other hand, high rate of returns = more open box/refurb products on the market = lower prices right off the bat for people like me. :)

No comment about the ethics of buying something, and returning it, only to buy it again for open box discount (heard about this happen once on a big screen TV, which usually comes back to the store as OB, and they price aggressively since they don't have the room on the floor for a huge OB TV).

I work at Kay jewelers and we have a 90 day return and exchange policy. IMO, that's too long to return something, exchanges are fine though because the money stays in the store. I just had a guy come in three days before the 90 day period was over and say "my wife don't like this necklace". So I asked him, 'can we help you find the right one?'. Of course, she got another one much earlier from somewhere else, and the guy waited forever to return the original. I really wished he had come in several days after the return period so I could tell him "so sorry, we can't do anything for you." The difference here is that comes off of my personal sales for the current month. At BB and CC, that isn't the case, because they aren't on commission. I know that sometimes things don't work out, like engagements. We had a split sale of $5,000 and several of us took a $1700 hit a piece, but I wasn't bitter, becasue no one did it on purpose. I'm sure the customer would rather his engagement work out than have to return the ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks