What's new

High Definition DVD: What is Holding You Back? (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
1. Cost. I'm looking to upgrade my home theatre one component at a time at this point, so I will probably buy a projector before I buy into any HD format.
2. Format war.
3. Retailers are so clueless about the formats. Wal*Mart is selling HD DVDs, but is there an HD-A1 or HD-XA1 anywhere in sight in the store?
4. I'm not an early adopter. I'd like to see the bugs get worked out before I plunk down a pile of cash on an HD format. I didn't buy my first DVD player until 2000.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Nothing... I plan on enjoying the HD movies no matter what format.... I won't wait 1 to 2 years...

Will d s

Stunt Coordinator
As soon as the war is over I will be running out to buy. Until then I just rent more dvd's instead of buying so that I won't be buying as many things twice.

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Some good comments here.

I was an early adaptor of DVD (1998) and of an HD set (2001). As such, I only have one set of HD component inputs on my set, and no HDMI. So, I'm already running into a legacy connectivity issue, but that's not really a fault of the formats.

Price: $1k for a BD player is a lot of money, I don't care where you're from. Plus, I feel the first gen players are limited either in output resolution (current HD-DVD models) and lack of supported audio formats (DD TrueHD, etc, etc.) and lack of finalization on HDMI supported audio capabilities.

SD performance: although most are happy with the Tosh HD-DVD, I still feel it's compromised vs. my current player Denon 3910 which would be used to watch 99.9% of prerecorded optical disc content currently available. Not to mention I love having a universal audio player for SACD/DVD-A. Non of the new hi-rez DVD formats seem to be jumping initially for these features.

So, give me a great SD player, with SACD/DVD-A, full HDMI 1.3 support, and try to bring it in for $600-1000, and then maybe I'll bite on BD or HD-DVD. A company like Denon might just do it in a year or so. I'll have to watch this one out on the sidelines until then.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
My only problem isn't necessarily just the format war. Rather, it's the fact that neither format has support from every studio. So I guess what I'm saying is that I'd definately jump at buying a BR player if Universal would sign on. I'd have a lot more confidence in BR then, despite the fact that the format war would still be going on.

Derek Martz

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek Martz
1. Format war
2. Lack of new features other than HD.
3. Happy with the quality of picture I get out of vanilla dvd.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The main things holding me back:

1. The format war, first and foremost.
2. The price.
3. The availability of software.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
The entire change of the marketplace is what's holding me back. When I started collecting DVDs it was the biggest thing ever, almost 10 years later I'm a little burnt out. I was up to near 500 DVDs at one point, but have since sold down to 240 now.

Tivo and downloading have changed my viewing habits. With the amount of things I record or download, why pay $15 for a DVD when I could download it for a couple bucks or Tivo it. I don't have the time or money to commit to another DVD format.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Judging by most posters here, it sounds to me like HD-DVD and BLU-RAY are both heading down the Laserdisc path. My reasoning is simple...If posters on the HTF forum (big videophiles compared to the average man on the street) feel divided about jumping on the high definition bandwagon, how's the average man on the street going to feel? How many consumers will hear about this new HD-DVD/Blu-Ray format and think that because they already own a high definition TV and a regular DVD player, that they already have HD-DVD/Blu-Ray on their home theater systems? Most people aren't technical minded, they need to have their information spoon fed, and I seriously doubt the average Wal-Mart employee will know how to explain HD-DVD/Blu-Ray to the consumers, when they probably don't understand it themselves. While I do believe HD-DVD/Blu-Ray will be available for the longterm, I think the titles we've all collected on regular DVD may take a VERY long time (if ever!) to make it to the high definition formats. Anyone remember when S-VHS came out with the promise that S-VHS recorders were backwards compatible with regular VHS? Exactly how many S-VHS titles were available compared to regular VHS titles? Today there are alot of S-VHS recorders being sold at giveaway prices, and S-VHS titles are still nowhere to be found. I'm not saying the same WILL happen with the high definition DVD formats, but the way it's looking so far, it's a possibilty!

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently I am one of the few people who don't have a problem with the current price of software, and the Toshiba HD player seems like a fair price also. I am also willing to uprgade my TV to get HDMI inputs, because I realize the only reason the studios are giving us HD is to fix the broken copy protection of DVDs. I will not pay over $500 for a player though, and will never buy hybrid discs.
I am waiting on a few things:

1. All discs to be the same quality as current HD DVD releases (Hear me Sony?)
2. A format with 100% studio support
3. Ability to decode or output the new losless audio formats into at least 5.1
4. Some titles that I think are worth repurchasing in HD
5. Day and Date releases of all new titles

Give me these things and I will not buy any more SD DVDs.

I will never re-buy things like comedies or lower budget films in HD however, the only re-buys will be a handful of big budget effects films such as Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Sin City, Narnia, and a few titles with poor transfers such as the Kill Bills.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
1. Current DVDs are good enough.
2. My collecting mentality has pretty much evaporated. I just have to look at the hundreds of films I've accumulated over the past thirty years to realize how many of them I have no interest in ever seeing again. A relatively modest increase in image quality (or even a major one, to be honest) won't make those films any more appealing.
3. Cost>benefit ratio: It'll cost too much, both in financial terms as well as the mental effort and time to educate myself in the technical complexities in order to make educated decisions. Benefit? see above; the numbers are bad.

Eventually my present video equipment will finally die, and if I outlive it and my only choice remains HD, the choice will then have been made for me. Until then, it's a non-issue for me.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Add me to that list too, StephenP. As a LD collector I recall the days in the early 90's when I thought getting some of the Criterion Boxed Sets which listed for $125 for under $100 (for a single title!) from Ken Crane's was a steal. I still have most, if not all of my 1900+ LDs and, thanks to some upscaling wizardry by my DVDO iScan VP30, still view some discs on occasion. (Unlike some others, I don't consider my collection valueless since it never was my intention to sell it off.) But what LD lacked, and DVD added to the mix was menu navigation and significant extras. It was a far cry from LD Chapter Indexes - and don't get me started about side changes. When DVD appeared there was no turning back (outside of a couple of DTS sound issues).

Yes, spending between $20-$30 for an HD title (street prices, not list) rather than the customary $10-$20 for the SD versions is a big jump for those who have started movie collecting more recently. And I'm not trying to downplay the budgetary constraints that a lot of people are under. I fully understand and respect that. However, in today's dollars the asking price for HD discs is not really out of line with what the price was for SD discs in 1997. And when you factor in the cost of going to the movies today and then, the prices are really not outrageous at all. What is outrageous is the creation of a format war and all the divisiveness and derisiveness that it promulgates. Boo! Hiss! on that aspect.

As I mentioned before, as soon as more titles that I want are available in the HD format - especially when the dual format (HD & SD version in the same package) titles appear in greater quantity - I'll start buying titles. That way I still have a workable disc if one of the formats fails. Paying a little extra for an HD/SD hybrid over the SD version doesn't bother me since there is a very good chance of added value.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: Agreed.

Just for the record, I have a TV with HDMI and I don't have any monetary constraints. I could easily afford a player and many titles, but I'm still not going to.

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
Reason for waiting?

1 Format war (I went through this with SACD/DVD-A)
2 Lack of "must have" software
3 Knowledge that equipment will only get better while price comes down
4 I don't buy many movies, I rent a lot of movies. I want to see HD come to rental stores.
5 I do buy a lot of music/concert DVDs and would love to see/hear HD video/sound for these titles.
6 I want a universal player that handles HD-DVD, BD, DVD, DVD-R, CD, CD-R, SACD, DVD-A (and good/excellent build quality) No KIDDING!

* side note- a selection of adult titles could do a lot to advance either format, anyone that doesn't think this doesn't pay attention to the profits made by the industry.

I look forward to HD but will hold off from purchasing anything until these issues are solved.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Everything holding me back has already been stated:

1. Format War - Call me when its over.

2. Pricing - I usually wait until the purchase price no longer seems extravagant.

3. New Technology - Waiting a year or two (or three, ad I did with DVD) until the kinks are worked out.

4. I REALLY like what I have now! Progressive scan, DVI with digital audio, multi-region. The player also handles DVD-Audio and SACD, but I've haven't tried them yet. And its built like a tank! :)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have been trying to do alot of research on both formats even though I was very biased in the beginning towards Blu-ray. I felt that Blu-ray offered more and that its superior storage meant more flexibility and a format that would have a longer shelf life. After seeing HD-DVD in action I thought to myself hell HD-DVD looks really nice. I was close to pulling the trigger when I started hearing all the issues with the Toshiba HD-DVD player. The fact that the player did not output 1080p did not help. I want the best performing format that will give me the best possible picture.

1. Price - Even though the Blu-ray player are costing $1k - $1,500 and I don't make alot of money. I was still ready to bite the bullet and spend $1k on a first gen machine. I will admit that $500 for a HD player did look very tempting, and it still does. I however can't justify spending $1k on a Samsung!

2. Format War - I will admit that the format war does concern me. I don't really like the idea of spending $1k and end up having the format that looses the war. I remember VHS vs Beta and the best format did not win back then. I though Beta was better but VHS had better priced players and alot more titles available. So I ended up buying the VHS platform and still own a VHS recorder/player. I feel that the format war has had its positive and negative influence on this war.

3. Bugs - I really dont want to deal with a player that has bugs that affect the performance and playback of any media that is placed into the player.

4. MPEG2 Video - I may still end up waiting if Blu-ray is going to use MPEG2 instead of MPEG4 video. HD-DVD is using VC1 and I feel that it looks alot better than what I saw with the MPEG2 demo of House Of Flying Daggers on Blu-ray.

I own a HDTV now and have plans on buying a 1080p projector in a few years. I stayed away from HD-DVD because of a buggy player and because I didn't feel that the format could stay as viable in the market place as long as Blu-ray would. Sony and Pioneer keeps delaying there players for reasons unknown. While I would rather spend $500 on a player and am still willing to spend $1k. I am just not ready to spend $1k on a Samsung. I might spend $500 on a Samsung but not $1k, IMHO Samsung does not strike me as being in the same arena as companies like Sony, Pioneer, Denon or Yamaha. Its good that Blu-ray is out but there shoty roll out was not better than Toshiba's rush to market was. I would love to have a HD format in my house now but I feel its better to wait it out and get the format I feel is better. I really do not want to buy any MPEG2 discs so I will most likely end up waiting for MPEG 4 discs to be on retailers shelves before buying any software titles for Blu-ray.

Sony needs to get there act together because on way or another I will have an HD format in my HT by Jan 07!

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
As many others have pointed out, the format war is a major issue why I don't migrate to HD soon. Another point is my personal financial situation, but that's got nothing to do with studios - it is of course expected that new technology will start at rather high prices and drop drastically afterwars...

I expect to get into the HD market when either: 1) There is only one format, og 2) You can get a player at a reasonable price that plays ALL formats.

JoSAN

Second Unit
Real Name
Home Theater Forum
1) It wasn't that long ago that I sold all my VHS tapes to replace with DVDs. I don't fancy doing the same thing again and so soon.

2) I think the clarity of DVD is good as it is. Maybe even too good in some cases where the movie starts looking less like film and more artificial. Is ultra-clarity the way filmmakers had wanted their product to look? Just because you can do it doesn't mean it's necessary.

3) I've had to exchange countless discs due to defects and it pisses me off. High Definition DVD and Blue-Ray are all based on the same technology: glued together bits of metal and plastic. The cheaper and lighter the discs are made the lower the quality of the discs. I'm sick of delamination, pixellation, scratches, etc, etc, ad nauseum. Until a new, break-through in format comes along - like small 1-inch cubes with all the information kept safe from contact inside and which uses no adhesives - I don't see any reason to rush out and replace everything I own just to buy into the same kind of production values.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks