What's new

Help required for a 7.1 HTIB (1 Viewer)

gri1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gururaj
OK.. since i ordered ..i have some folks telling me to properly test the AV receiver ( 1122k ) Any idea what i can do once i receiver the Pioneer Receiver to make sure its working somewhat correctly?
I know the actual test would be only when i connect them to a good 5.1 speaker system but can i do something in an incremental way ?

gri1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gururaj
What folks are complaining about is the HDMI board going off? i Hope that does not happen though... i

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I think you'd figure that one out within 20 minutes out of the box.
It does have a warranty on it, provided you bought it from an authorized source.

gri1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gururaj
Ok , also is it true that Pioneer AV receivers are not as good as the Denons and Onkyos? i mean my intention is to have a good clear crisp surround sound system at my place.
My purchase was clearly driven from the features and it being the latest from Pioneer. I am buying the Pioneer from Amazon though....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Denon and Onkyo aren't what they were 5 years ago either. Today's AVR have an "intended lifespan" of 3-4 years.
5-15 years ago, the "avg. price paid" for an AVR was $900. Today, $450 rules the roost.
Integra is the only brand that hasn't gone downhill. Integra is not a clone of Onkyo like everybody seems to think it is.
Would I buy the 1122 over an Onkyo 717? Nope.
Would I buy the 1122 over the Denon 1913? Nope. (by the way, there is no way I'd buy the 1913, I'd buy at least the 2313 and even then, it still doesn't have pre-outs)
But that is just me. I won't, ever, buy an AVR without pre-outs. The fact pre-in is disappearing means I won't buy an AVR newer than 2012, unless I absolutely have to. But I buy AVR that had original MSRP of $900+.
You buy your AVR based on YOUR NEEDS. Your needs are not my needs.
I still listen to LP.
I still have a cassette deck in 2 of my 3 theatres.
I still have VHS.
I have an RCA VideoDisc. (there are still around 15 movies on VideoDisc that haven't even made it to DVD, let alone LD)
And yes, all three of my theatres have BD and HD Directv. One has an entertainment PC. I still listen to CD. I rarely ever listen to "internet radio"...unless it is "fill-in" for a party.

gri1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gururaj
Thanks for the candid reply.....my main purpose is really to setup a good surround at my place...with winter coming and staying indoor it would be a great deal for me to play the best of the blue ray films..i have a great plasma TV , a 50 inch one and the picture quality is pretty goood...i did finalize on the Marting logan speakers but i just dont want the receiver to be a bummer in the whole picture...
the specs look great but since this is the first time i would be buying an AV i want to make sure i select the most reliable one...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"since this is the first time i would be buying an AV i want to make sure i select the most reliable one..."
You know what is considered "disastrous" failure rate?
10%. Guess what most manufacturers strive for???
5%.
Even the "legendary reliability turds"...
Onkyo 606+(meaning 706, 806 etc) HDMI failures never reached more than 15%. That means 85% of the 606+ NEVER had problems.
Denon XX08/X88 networking AVR. Denon really screwed the pooch on that model year. What was their failure rate of the "networked" models?
12%.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Now there is a recall on the X08 model Onkyo(there is a "my God the sky is falling" thread over at AVS) about a flat wire that has "too much goo" on it.
The "goo"?
Electrical goo meant to keep the heatsink from messing with the face plate( you know the part of the AVR you actually touch...once installed)...
What happens when, on some of them, there is "too much goo"? The face plate wiring overheats(exactly what the goo was supposed to keep from happening) and the unit becomes "non-responsive" even by the remote.
The remedies?
1. Mail your AVR off to Onkyo for $40-ish in shipping. Since it is a "recall", this issue is covered forever. Should only happen once.
2. Find a local fix-it place yourself and pay the "bench fee" and have your AVR back that day.
3. If you have a reasonable working knowledge of electrical(as in what you'd learn in high school shop class...if your shop class covered electrical) you could buy the replacement flatwire(if yours burnt up) for $3.50...including the mailing cost. Buy a $2.50 can of "electrical goo", of which you'd use about 85 cents of it.
So, pay $40 for a "free fix".
Or pay $75-$100 at a local fix it so you don't have to wait 2-3 weeks in the mail there. The week it sits there, and 2-3 weeks back...
Or, fix it yourself in 30 minutes and $6.00.
And that is the "worst issue in all AVR" in 15 years.
That flatwire/goo issue, according to Onkyo, affected less than 30%. 30% is an extremely high number. But it still means, that of every 10 AVR sold...7 will never have the problem.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Gurguraj, I think the 1122 is a fne choice. Pioneer isn't what it used to be, but neither is Denon, Marantz or H/K. But none of them, including Onkyo, are out-and-out lemons. Integra is out of your price range for a new one with a warranty. The Onkyo 717 is a fine receiver and if you could have found one for a comparable price it would have been a good choice too. I really like Pioneer/Elites for HT because they have certain features that lend themselves to the HT experience like Dialog Enchancement and 6 MCACC presets. They also have good setup menu's, ease of operation (when you become familiar with it) and a very good remote control.
In reality, you could have bought any name brand receiver and it would have worked well for you. There are some differences but mostly a matter of splitting hairs. They will all do what they were designed to do. Help you enjoy that movie on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Once you properly setup the Pioneer (or any other receiver) and learn how it works you'll be happy with it. I have a 4 year old Elite 23-txh which is on par with the 1122 and it's been a workhorse for me and has never let me down. I also have a marantz 6005 and a 5005. Again, fine receivers but nothing like the 7002 I had a couple of years ago. I've also had 16-20 different receivers over the last 5-6 years, all except Sherwood (by design) and Yamaha (need to get one some day). Never had a problem with any of them. To really take a step up in performance you would need to look at the boutique brands like NAD, Arcam, Anthem and Rotel. I'd put Integra (the higher end models) in the same group.
As for longevity, you can help yourself by plugging everything into a good surge protector and making sure everything is in the Off position, including the protector, when making connections. This is particularly important with powered subwoofers and displays.
You will have questions with setup and calibration so I'm sure we'll be hearing from you soon :) .

gri1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gururaj
Thanks a lot guys!! Absolutely i would have questions ( lots of them :) ) once i start connecting the Pioneer 1122k and the Martin logan speakers!!! Should be delivered before this weekend and hopefully i spend the weekend in configuring and collaborating....
any suggestions for the wires? ( AV to Speakers? )

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
lamp cord/Romex
http://www.lowes.com/pd_70123-295-28827469_0__?productId=1193437&Ntt=14g+wire&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3D14g%2Bwire&facetInfo=
http://www.lowes.com/pd_388552-226-252-1201B_0__?productId=3638542&Ntt=14+awg+lamp
http://www.lowes.com/pd_388595-226-252-1208G3_0__?productId=3638556&Ntt=14+awg+lamp

gri1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gururaj
Got it! , ordered the Martin Logan MLT 2 from Amazon , unfortunately it would come in by Monday next week .....so i think i cant play around much with my 1122k Receiver( scheduled to come tomorrow )

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Goodwill I frequent had a pair of Coral and Utah sitting next to each other. The Coral were $15. The Utah were $25.
Both hooked up to some "smash rack" playing along.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I frequent the Goodwill for two reasons...
It is in a "rich" part of the county I live in, and there is a Christian re-sale shop about a block away. Both stores get mad donations.
Picked up a brand new in box Recoton Phono amp for $1.75. Sold it on Fleabay for $25.
Bought some outdoor solar landscape lights that needed a set of fresh re-chargeables...$2.
The Christian store won't take(if donated during hours) knock-offs. Landed some Burberry in there one day for $5 per shirt...3 shirts.

gri1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gururaj
wow! I checked mine..went to two Goodwill stores in Omaha ...and all i could find is a Tower speaker with cracks all over it ...was for something 6$ or something..but i hardly think it is in shape to be connected... will check the other "Thrift" stores and see...else il wait for monday to do the actual setup...

gri1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gururaj
i ordered a set of Banana plugs as well....
the 16" gauge wires which were there in Lowes would be compatible with these right?
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Deadbolt-Banana-Fast-Lock-Technology/product-reviews/B006U3O566/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

gri1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gururaj
i ordered a set of Banana plugs as well....
the 16" gauge wires which were there in Lowes would be compatible with these right?
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Deadbolt-Banana-Fast-Lock-Technology/product-reviews/B006U3O566/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks