What's new

Hell Just Froze Over.... (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
It is working now. It looks like the titles are $14.95 with $4.95 shipping each, $2 each additional title. You pay via Paypal.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Full list:

Comedy/Romance
Baby It's You
Almost An Angel
French Postcards
The One And Only
Jekyll & Hyde Together Again
Some Kind Of Hero
The Whoopee Boys
Girl On The Bridge
Papa's Delicate Condition
Partners
Serial

Drama/Action
Framed (coming soon)
Houdini
Blue City
Hurricane
Villa Rides
Desperate Characters
King Of The Gypsies
Daniel
Hitler - The Last Ten Days
Man, Woman And Child
Mandingo

Sci-Fi/Horror
The Sender (coming soon)
The Skull
The Deadly Bees (coming soon)
Student Bodies
Phase IV (coming soon)
The Man Who Could Cheat Death (coming soon)
The Possession Of Joel Delaney
ZPG

Family/Misc
The Optimists
Money From Home
The Pied Piper
Those Daring Young Men In Their Jaunty Jalopies
Won Ton Ton The Dog Who Saved Hollywood
The Busy Body
Rhubarb

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Shipping is a bit pricey (I'm spoiled by Amazon prime) but just ordered The Skull for now.

As soon as The Man Who Could Cheat Death and Phase IV are available on the site I'll order those as well.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great News on The Pied Piper...I have been dying to see that for years!!!!

SeanC

Agent
I'm a little disappointed since they said they were going to be priced under $10, but I never thought I'd see Student Bodies, The Whoopee Boys or Jeykll & Hyde...Together Again on DVD, so I'll be getting them anyways!

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
I never thought I'd see a DVD release of WON TON TON, THE DOG WHO SAVED HOLLYWOOD. I'm probably the only one buying a copy. :)

SeanC

Agent
Ha! I'll definitely be getting a copy of that too, but I'll probably wait until it comes out in stores. Can't get them all now! :)

walter o

Supporting Actor
actually I remember the film too (have an old vhs of it, I taped off HBO). The film has a huge list of cameos of stars from the Golden age!

Also suprised on PIED PIPER! Was hoping for Criterion to look into this, a great film!

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Thrilled to see Baby It's You and French Postcards on the list. I'm concerned, however, that the original soundtracks will not be restored for these DVDs, especially since they are not actually being released by Paramount. Still, I will hold out hope until the discs actually materialize.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the opening credit tune of FRENCH POSTCARDS (French version of DO YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC) was replaced on the home video one. They ran it on Cinemax couple of years ago with the tune back in, so hopefully, Paramount cleared it.

William Miller

Second Unit
Money From Home! Great.

As most of you know, for mysterious reasons, Money From Home and Three Ring Circus were not in the Martin & Lewis DVD sets that Paramount released.

Some speculated that Money From Home was caught in the Damon Runyon problem. No one knew what the Three Ring Circus problem could be.

It was strange because both films were shown several times on TCM in the past few years.

But now, Money From Home has been announced as one of the new Paramount - Legend titles.

It doesn't make any sense. (But I am happy)

SeanC

Agent

Ken, on the main page, theres a box right in the middle that shows the Paramount DVDs. Just click on it and it takes you right to the page!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Maybe they are planning on releasing it on two DVD's with one dvd as the flat version and one in field-sequential 3-D? Yeah right. That will never happen.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Yes, when the films have played on cable the soundtracks have, thankfully, been intact.

In addition to the opening tune, French Postcards was also missing Nicolette Larson's "Lotta Love," Linda Ronstadt's "Just One Look," and at least a few others. There was a club scene which featured some French pop songs from the period that were altered for home video. I will have to take out my DVR from Cinemax and Paramount VHS to compare. On the video, the end credits were even redone, and made very cheap looking, to reflect the music changes.

As for Baby It's You, several songs were replaced with K-Tel-sounding versions. I can particularly remember that the soundtrack utilizes one of these cheap recordings of "Baby It's You." Sounded terrible. I don't have a copy from cable to compare and my only other version of the film is the Paramount laserdisc, but this is in storage. I believe the end credits are affected in the same way as French Postcards.

Sayles talks about Paramount's failure to secure the home video rights to all of the music and the film's delayed home video release in the book Sayles on Sayles:
"So there was no video available of Baby It's You for almost six or seven years. Anybody who wanted to see it on tape had to know somebody who had taped it off of Showtime. And by the time it came back, certain songs had gotten much more expensive."

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
FRENCH POSTCARDS was also unusual in that the film initially was one of a few Paramount titles that were exclusive to Fotomat, when they had a video-rental program. Moreover, I'm willing to bet that those VHS tapes did have the music intact, much like the early MCA releases of SLAP SHOT and NIGHT HAWKS, and it was only when Paramount released their own tape that they rescored the songs.
AMERICAN HOT WAX and FRATERNITY ROW were two other Paramount titles that Fotomat offered which never received any other VHS release, though HOT WAX did get issued in the defunct CED Videodisc format.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Thanks for the information, Mark. You have mentioned these Fotomat releases in other posts in the past. Have you ever seen one of these Fotomat tapes in person? I'd love to know what the artwork looked like and if it was anything similar to the old Magnetic Video design. I knew of the American Hot Wax Fotomat VHS and later CED release, but not about Fraternity Row. Very interesting.

Video Oyster used to list the American Hot Wax Fotomat tape in the ultra-rare, expensive section of the catalog. I don't remember if they ever offered any of the other Fotomat tapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks