What's new

Headphones for my TV (1 Viewer)

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
I initially thought of getting wireless headphones for my TV but thought to go the route of just using my regular wired headphones with an extension cord. The problem is that I am not getting a loud enough signal as I would like through the headphones. I have a Sony KV-36XBR800, and attached a Y adapter to the "Monitor Out" outputs in the rear which convert to a 1/4" stereo phono plug. THe adapter itself is about 6 or so inches long and even with my headphones plugged directly into the adapter, the sound level is just adequate - and that is with the TV volume turned way up. (I set the controls to variable level output to allow me to change the volume with my TV remote.)

Must I feed this output through an amplifier in order to get a louder signal? I'd like to avoid having to turn on my receiver/amp just to listen to the TV through my headphones during the late night. If this is the case, then I'd just plug the headphones into the receiver/amp that is receiving the line output in the first place. BUT, I'd like to avoid that and just have my headphones and my TV during the wee hours. Is there a better solution - or were wireless headphones the way to go as I think they amplify the line level signals. Thanks.

Len Cheong

Second Unit
The new breed of wireless headphones are the 2.4 Ghz ones. Amphony makes one that allows you to use the coaxial/optical out of your equipment. It also has analog inputs. Since it converts the signal to the digital realm, you get cd quality sound. I was skeptical at first but I bought my first pair and they were amazingly hiss-free. They even sounded better than my wired Sony headphones which cost $200.

I thought of getting Sennheisers but they were not free of hiss. They also use a proprietary battery as opposed to the double AAs the Amphony uses.

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
you could just get a little headphone amp and keep it running if you need to boost the signal

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses. I haven't seen any of the 2.4Ghz wireless ones, which I wouldn't mind taking a look at. Any particular ones come to mind?

I was wondering if they had headphone amps - but I didn't even know where to look for them. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
not sure.. i think most people build thier own headphone amps but they're not uncommon amongst high quality headphone users.

i'm sure someone else will be able to shed some light.

Len Cheong

Second Unit
The Amphony 2000 has a 2 levels of volume control. One on the base and another on the headphone unit. Make sure you check your unit before you buy it. I had 2 defective ones before I settled on a 3rd working perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks