What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Great Video Game Moments (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Gotta add now, the "Roadie run" in Gears of War. I had to see that "embedded journalist" angle for myself. Too cool!

And the rest of the game too. Co-op campaign ruled!

Gonna play me some multiplayer tonight.

Tag: Markusschmarkus

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
This has been a day full of great video game moments for me. :D

- The sense of relief after finally getting my Wii, the first console I have ever bought at launch.

- Turning on the Wii for the first time with the Wiimote... Even the menu is awesome!

- Creating my Mii. I tried to make mine look like Zelda, but the end result was a very plain looking princess.

- Playing Wii Sports Tennis and Bowling for the first time. Even simple games like these feel so immersive with the Wiimote.

This is the most fun I've had playing games in a long, long time. And I haven't even played my copy of Twilight Princess yet!

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
I agree with many of those above...

1. Doom 2- Trapped in some kind of building with a ridiculous number of critters surrounding me, and getting them to fight amongst themselves before BFGing them to death.

2. Bards Tale 2- No hints, no linear paths, figure it out yourself.

3. Ultima IV- Hidden reagents, first real conversations in a game, stealing Pirate's ships, finding hidden doors with my own skill.

4. Final Fantasy II(US)- The final battle sequence.

5. Final Fantasy 7- The game was great, but I loved the hidden items and the Limit Breaks were by far the best addition to the game series.

6. Fallout/Fallout 2- From the begining to the end, these games rocked like no others.

7. Dragon's Lair- "It's a cartoon and a game!" To this day I still love the game, and have never beaten it.

8. Star Wars KotOR- Engaging story line and plenty to do, Japanese RPG done American style :)

9. Tie Fighter- Every mission was a challenge and the hidden objectives made it more than just a flight sim.

10. System Shock 2- Engaging story line, and the ghosts added to the atmosphere. What really happened here? You'll spend hours trying to find out!

11. Thief/Thief 2- A game where killing people isn't the point, spoiled only by the addition of the undead.

12. No One Lives Forever series- They took a run of the mill shooter, and made it an incredibly entertaining and varied experience.

13. X-com- Nothing beats being down to your last guy, trying to hunt down the alien before it hunts you down.

14. Master's of Orion 2- 4x space strategy done right, and never done as well since.

15. Crusader- Fully destructible environments and the best 3rd person shooter control scheme ever. I spent hours just shooting up entire rooms just to break *everything*.

16. Curse of Monkey Island- I spent hours clicking on everything in sight just to hear what he'd come up with next. Adventure gaming might be dead, but I'd wager this would still sell 1,000,000 units.

17. Seven Cities of Gold- I spent hours walking down rivers and going through indian villages just to find everything, I really need to play this again.

18. Archon- You haven't played chess until you've got your friend trying to kill you.

19. Pirates- Sailing down the coast sacking Spanish town after Spanish town, I lost many an hour playing this game.

20. Half-life- No experience has come close to that circular room with the giant claw trying to kill me.

I'll stop there, but Heroes of Might and Magic, Might and Magic 6/7, Diablo, Diablo 2, Panzer General, and Sanitarium rank way up there as well.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Here's a few I haven't seen:

* The first time I played Sierra-On-Line's "Phantasmagoria" and thought: wow, multimedia gaming may go somewhere. 7 CDs of full-motion video and acting. Yeah, it was on rails, but interesting. That genre is totally dead now ;(

* Civilization IV's menu music. There are times I don't play the game just turn it on to listen to the menu music. GREAT stuff.

* Gabriel Knight (I) - The moment where you confront the voodoo woman. Woof!

* All of the Cinemagic games on the Apple IIGS - Defender of the Crown, King of Chicago, Three Stooges. Here on the GS, we had 65k colors, wavetable sound, playing kick-ass games.. when I see the PC ports, even in abandonware, they are all CGA terrible graphics and don't remind me of how good these games really were. They were an experience.

* Thexder for the IIGS - Sierra-On-Line's game for the IIGS was fast paced, hard to think about, and really kept me guessing as to what was going to happen.

* The Dig - LucasArt's adventure game. Maybe the best writing in any adventure game I've ever played as far as dialog goes. The characters and storyline was really involving, and the puzzles were innovative and made sense with the story instead of being out of left field. Some beautiful cinematics in this one as well.

* Beneath a Steel Sky - one of those adventure games that was seriously creepy. Find the CD version if you can, the vocal work on it is very good.

* Civilization I. How I managed to get decent grades in college that year is still beyond me. There are times where a lot of people in our dorm simply didn't sleep trying to beat Civilization at different settings & modes.

* Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max Hit the Road - two of the funniest titles ever put out. Period.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Owe I have a few...

Playstation 1, FF7 Cloud flying threw the Portal In space, and comming out and fighting Sephiroth.....

Kung Fu Nintendo... Finally beating the main boss on level 5 for the first time... Damn that sucker was easy... The Magician was harder on level 2 :)

Beating Mother Brain in the First Metroid Game...

PitFall Atari 2600 Swinging over the Water on the Vines...

E.T Atari 2600... Getting picked up by the Spaceship at the end...

Residengt Evil, Dog threw the Window...

Wing Commander with Mark Hammil Game in General was awesome!!!

King Quest V PC Fighting the main boss at the end of the game, in that room...... casting spells.... Roberat Williams games were amazing!!!

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, does anyone remember the Hill People from Asheron's Call?

They were a faction on the PvP server. They always did PvP while naked and wielding newbie weapons (the one you got when you make a new character), and they all roleplayed blithering idiots while doing so. Funniest PvP faction ever.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I just skimmed this thread but it made me think of a few, and a few to echo.

The Legend of Zelda: Final Ganon Fight. I remember how nervous I was.

Metroid: The Mother Brain, ditto like above, and that long climb up the corridor after you kill her. Ugh!

Tomb Raider: That Damn T-Rex. Holy Crap!

Everquest: The first time I was in a Nagafen Raid

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time: The first time you jam the sword into the alter and time travel. (and actually just the whole game was the last great console game Ive ever played.)

Final Fantasy III: Opera Sequence

Final Fantasy II: The 20 minute ending

Cosmic Fantasy 2: Laura's Death (There's an obscure title for you)

Punch-Out: Trying to beat, or even last a right against Tyson.

Street Figher II: When it was released for the Super Nintendo, what a big deal it was to have that game at HOME. I'll never forget that.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
My most recent moment...

Finally beating Castlevania, even though it took many tries to beat Dracula. Before that, it was finally getting past that part with the armoured knights and Medusa heads, which is almost impossible to pass without the holy water. Needless to say, it caused me to go on a rage like the Angry Nintendo Nerd.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Here's a few of mine:

Playing Pong for the first time against my brother back in the 70's
Four player Warlords on the 2600 for the first time (still a heck of a lot of fun)
Playing Donkey Kong on the Colecovision for the first time and thinking it was arcade perfect
Super Mario Brothers on the NES
The first time I played the original Doom
The first time I saw Mario 64
Playing Wii Sports for the first time

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I gotta vouch for something someone said awhile back in the thread that almost pretty much prompted me to buy the game. The Master Sword Sequence in The Wind Waker was indeed wonderfully done.

Having never owned a CG, I had not played any of it's great games, so when I got a Wii, I had to get some CG games for the first time. That included The Wind Waker. I got so into it I stopped playing Twilight Princess so I could finish WW before I finished TP.

Speaking of TP, I love the moment where you open the door to the Temple of Time and see it in the past through the door. That was definately a moment for me.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I have to say I really enjoyed Twilight Princess but I have to say that I don't think it lived up to the hype. I felt that Wind Waker had a much more cohesive/interesting storyline with an imaginative visual appeal.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Some more great moments...

- These days, just going to an arcade, which are becoming increasing rare, as more are shutting down (I'm sorry, but Dave & Busters just doesn't cut it)

- Beating Castlevania on NES, without using a continue. I lost 4 lives when fighting Dracula's first form.

- Playing the original NES after getting it repaired. It was sat dormant for about 15 years, because my father took it away and hid it from me all those years, thinking that he threw it away. Found it recently when cleaning out his things.

- Performing my first fatality in the Mortal Kombat series (Kitana's Fan Swipe in MK2) at the arcades

- Kicking butt at times, in Street Fighter II

- Beating Double Dragon for the first time, at the arcades

- Getting past the 1st round in My Hero (which pretty much started my arcade craze)

- Playing Super Mario Bros on the NES

- Playing on the Atari (my earliest memory of video games). I can remember playing Pac-Man, Missile Command, and Donkey Kong.

And the worst moment...

- Seeing that dreaded 2-word phrase, which I hated so much more at the arcades.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Here's a fairly obscure one that stays in my memory:

In the '80s Activision published "Portal." Written by Rob Swigart, it was essentially a text adventure build into a graphical interface in which you communicated with a computer that seems to have discovered it is the only sentient presence on Earth.

After several hours of gameplay, the ending was remarkably poignant and moving (qualities you don't generally associate with a videogame). It remains one of the few times I've played a game that had the power to inspire you the way an excellent movie script might.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator

I'd agree, but I loved the Master Sword moment in A link to the Past when you walk into that misty room to get it.

The non stop boss battles at the end of Contra III also comes to mind...most notably the Boss Brain

Paul__A

Grip
Been playing games for a good part of my life, no intentions of stopping. My favorite moments:

Super Mario Bros. - First time I did the 99 lives trick in level 3-1.

Street Fighter 2 - first time I threw a fireball. It missed.

Contra - Every level. Never fought against huge bosses in a game before.

Tetris - Nothing like hitting 4 lines at once.

Unreal Tournament - First time I got "God-like" in multiplayer. Didn't know it existed, died while cheering (ending the streak).

Goldeneye - Proxy mines in the complex.

Sonic the Hedgehog - The first time I collected 100 rings, and the Sonic theme played.

Psychonauts - Gogglor.

Morrowind - Never have had such a strong feeling of freedom in a game.

Halo - Whacking someone in the back of the head is fun.

Alowe

Agent
Real Name
Andrew
First time our Atari turned on and Pac-Man displayed on our TV. My father and I were sitting on the floor Indian style and played for what seemed like an eternity. We still talk about it today and still game together on my 360. I am 34 now and he is 60. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks