What's new

Great Video Game Moments (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
hmm... there's actually not alot of 'moments', but i'd have to say:

1) the first level of the DOOM-ALIENS TC MOD - walking through the station with that motion detector, all dark, jumping at every little thing that crawls by. THAT ROCKED :) i was playing it with my friend, and this one moment we both jumped at the same time - pretty funny actually :laugh:

2) the first time death-matching on xbox live. it was either ghost recon or RS3. i usually don't like dm'ing because it gets really repetitive really fast, but for the first couple of hours i ever did it, my heart was racing. nothing like solo playing.

3) the trench in X-WING. just for the sheer coolness of it.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
- Tie-Fighter: HUGE space battles with incredible scale (at the time)
- Opening sequence of Half-Life
- Splinter Cell: sneaking up on that 1st guy (a close second would be SC: Chaos Theory where you can yank a guy off a tower)
- Adding the voice module to my TI 99-4/A (Wow! the computer is talking!)
- Doom 3, walking into the bathroom. The sudden audio/flames scared the crap out of me...

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
The First Time playing TMNT Arcade with my brother and Cousins, first 4-player mayhem!!

The Legend of Zelda:Link to the Past- Getting the Master Sword

Lesuire Suit Larry- Buying Condoms at the store

Final Fantasy IV- Started my love with FF games

Final Fantasy VI- Opera Scene

Chrono Trigger- Losing Crono then getting him back

Doom- Blasting a zombie with a shotgun for the first time

Alone of the Dark- The ORIGNAL survivor horror!!

Resident Evil- The Dog crashing through the window

Tetris- The little game that is truly addicting

Final Fantasy X- Ending

Star Wars: KotOR- the game that the new movies SHOULD have been

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
Galaga - learning how to cheat on the arcade version. The first time beating it in cheat mode, then the first time beating it without cheating.

Donky Cong Jr. - Beating it for the first time.

Pac-man - When I was like 10 watching someone play that game for literally hours and never die once.

Going into my first mega video arcade with a ten spot and thinking i was in heaven.

Beating Sonic 2 for the first time.

Head shots with the sniper riffle playing Enemy Territory online.

Beating Dragon's Lair for the first time.

Playing NFL2k on-line for the first time. And for the first time being truly able to out coach your opponent.

Doom - playing it for the first time. To this day FPS are still my favorite type of game.

And just one more. Its not a video game but still. Playing South Park Pin-ball with friends and having the game curse you while playing. "Kick-ass" What fun.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator

I remember finding the "enchanted dot" as we called it. I don't remember finding anyone's signature though. Where was that?

I never really got into video games past Atari 2600 and original NES. My favorite moments include finding all 32 treasures on Pitfall, turning over Pac-man, beating both nes Zelda games. And with the help of the internet, finding the Warrior's Sword on Swordquest Earthworld.

My favorites were NES's Star Tropics & Star Topics 2: Zoda's Revenge. I loved playing those and figuring out the puzzles within the games. Also liked how the last level of ST2 was a redo of the first level on ST1, but with the music and graphics of ST2. Also liked the pull back endings before the credits of the 2 games after you had beaten them.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Hmmm, well opening up a Christmas present at seven years old, and finding an Atari 2600 was pretty sweet.

Getting to the negative wolrd on Super Mario Brothers. also

Jumping over the flag on Super Mario Brothers, only to find out there was nowhere to go.

First Time I saw a Fatality on Mortal Kombat, I was dumb struck.

most of the good ones have already been posted, but just about any part of the Final Fantasy Series were beyond belief good.

tyler payne

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Finally beating the computer in Archon II: Adept

Winning in Ultima IV

and [showing my age] I will never forget when my older brother's friend brought over this computer thing and we stayed up all night playing Star Trek Basic Game circa 1980ish.
I couldnt even tell you what machine we were playing on (it was all one device, kinda like the Trash-of-the 80s).

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
If you have an emulator (stella for example) or the atari collection on a console it is still there, here is how to do so (From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_AdventureWikipedia):

A secret room can be revealed by bringing an invisible magic dot from the upper regions of the black castle to the far right side of the corridor located just below the Yellow Castle. Bringing the magic dot to this area when there are two other objects also in the location removes a wall at the end of the hallway and allows you to enter the room. In order to get the "Magic Dot" you need to bring the purple bridge into the black castle with you. The secret room has the words written in it: "Created by Warren Robinett."

Anybody ever seen the "Adventure" mod for Quake 3 over at The Atari Times? It's pretty damn cool!

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
well since most of the good ones have been posted, i'll share some of the ones i thought to be best.

PS2 - ATV Offroad Fury
1st time making a jump of 400 feet and the physics were actually correct.
NES - Super Mario Bros.
1st time getting the unlimited lives from a turtle shell on LVL 3-1
NES - Jackel
Just a great game all around
Sega - Cyborg Justice
Ripping someones arm off and putting it on my own body to use against them

Just a few

Bill

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Not sure which level it was exactly, but the one in COD 2 on XBOX 360 when you have to charge that huge hill. The beginning of that sequence, as you follow your charging battalion up the hill is amazing.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
All of Chrono Trigger, each time I've played it. Nothing compares to the impact that game had.

getting the magic book in the first legend of zelda when I hadn't yet beat dungeon four, it was incredibly hard and difficult. can't remember why I did it other than that I found the dungeon by accident.

finally beating Ganon in the first legend of zelda a year ago when I played it on the gamecube.

going backwards in a stage the first time in super mario 2

beating someone for the first time in battlemode in super mario kart

finally landing the jump in 8-1 in super mario 1 and finishing the stage. the big one with the single width spot to land on.

Beating the second level of teenage mutant ninja turtles - out of curiosity has anyone ever beaten the third stage? I couldnt' do it even with a game genie.

Beating Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers - the first game I beat before my older brother.

Learning vocabularly words (this was first grade) like 'gold' from Dragon Warrior.

Beating Dragon Warrior when my brother got his ass kicked by the boss at the end.

The first time I found a secret in Donkey Kong Country/Rambi in DKC.

Getting floating to work for a long time in super mario world rather than crash diving as soon as I got up flying.

Defeating all the star worlds only to find the super star road in super mario world.

Finishing Mega Man 2 on gameboy

Playing Mega man 3 and having someone else hold right on controller two and being able to superjump out of pits but the music had stopped. soo eerie, great way to get past the magnet man stage

Chrono Trigger in more depth
- Coming back from 600 AD the first time until you end up in the future for the first time to going to the end of time and getting magic. Pure perfection. Marle, trial, escape, the future, seeing the apocalypse, vowing to stop it, heal-thy, rescuing and fixing robo, jumping forward to the future, gaspar and spekkio.
- magus' castle entering until the music starts. I've never been so incredibly scared by a game as the emptiness and silence of the castle, I was literally inching so slowly from Room to room.
-magus' castle descending to battle magus and the battle with magus, holy shit.
-ocean palace and losing Chrono
-Janus and Schala and the Pendent and the Prophet - WOW!
-Watching someone beat Lavos, what an incredibly epic battle
-beating Lavos myself, one of the most intense battles ever, wow.

-kefka battle in final fantasy 3, shadow dreams in ff3, ghost train in ff3.

first time I triple jumped in mario 64. back flip in mario 64

zelda ocarina of time transitioning from child link to adult link.
riding epona, escaping with epona
ganon battle in ocarina of time

Playing Counterstrike at my first Lan Party, getting slaughered, being dead last, then spawning at a high point near a door, and looking down and seeing someone come in. Shooting that person and all the other people that were constantly coming in and out for the next five minutes straight giving me the highest kill count of the game and the only time I've ever managed that before someone found me and killed me because no one could figure out who it was. I didn't even know there was a word for what I did, or that it was bad, it was my first LAN party but I definitely found camping to be a lot more enjoyable than trying to play guys who could run around with an Arctic on full zoom and hit you in a split second when you couldn't even see them.

being horrible at Halo multiplayer and being very frustrated and complaining about and viciously cursing the controls until someone said I could set them to inverted. Suddenly I could fight back and actually play with a level of competence--that was unbelievably satisfying.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Infocom text game)
    Getting that @$#% babelfish out of the dispenser. I was frustrated as hell until I finally got it, then I couldn't stop laughing for the longest time.
  • Fallout
    When you finally finish the game and… …the very people you saved kick you out and make you an exile because you've been "corrupted" by the outside world.
    I was actually angry at the Overseer.
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    The big reveal halfway through the game when you discover… …that the big bad guy is really you.
  • World of Warcraft
    Downing my first 40-man raid boss.
  • Civilization 4 (vanilla version)
    The theme music that plays at the opening menu. I've never had music in a game just sweep me away like that.

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
Star Flight - my first real pc game. Finding out what your "fuel" really is. always play with a copy because if you lost the game.. you really lost the game.

Long games of Tecnobowl!!!!!!!!!

IDDQD IDKFA...

Getting hit with the chicken gun in Hexen.

Playing "The Dig".

Playing Wing Commander Prophesy after putting in a voodoo video card *drool*

Beating Diablo II with my best friend.

The cheatcodes in Age of X. Playing the pc to a complete stalemate in Age of Empires.

World of Warcraft has cool things every dang time I play it.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Ok, I'm disappointed in all the guys who posted games from the early-mid 80's. Why? How could any of you (and you call yourselves game players :D ) forget LucasFilm (now LucasArts) first video games: Rescue on Fractalus and Ballblazer?

Rescue on Fractalus - the monster popping up and beating on your cockpit window scaring the living **** out of you

Ballblazer - finally good music in a video game...the kind you can't get out of your head.

But I digress...way too many to list...well, one more...

Command and Conquer: "Nuclear weapon launched" and then wondering (in a multiplayer game) who was getting it.

MartEvans

Stunt Coordinator
I can't remember whether it was Quake or Dark Forces but hearing the "click" when my brand new 3DFX card kicked in :)

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator

Ha! I can still hum that song. It had the coolest bassline! I had the game on the old Atari 5200 of all things. Then one day it broke.

Speaking of game music, I remember getting Pitfall II for the Atari 2600 and hearing that music for the first time. That had to be the most sophisticated music track I'd ever heard for an Atari game, even when it got repetitious. But then it would change to a minor key when you died!

Jeff_A_G

Stunt Coordinator
I do agree with many of the previously ones mentioned, but here's one I saw nobody else mentioned: Getting the hadoken in Mega Man X and then firing it over and over again just to hear mega man say it!

DwightK

Second Unit
Meridian 59 - Minding my own business on the beach and somehow I survived the initial PK attack, turned and fought back and ended up killing my very first PKer. And he was infamous! I was cheered loudly when I went into town.

Ultima Online - Helping to plan and be involved in the pre-alpha pantless invasion. Being part of the same guild as Rainz when he killed Lord British in Beta. Meeting Richard Garriot at E3.

Everquest - Catching a glitch during early beta and ending up in a zone that was being used as a storage location for critters, objects, etc. It was way wierd and nothing was set to agro so I just wandered around until I got caught.

Wizardry 1 - Mapping dungeons! WERDNA!
Halo, and Halo 2 - Couch Coop
Lots of others

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Back around 1989 my parents were in the midst of divorce and all my brother and I really had were video games, and I was good, I mean really good. One day my brother Corey heard about this ultimate video game challenge so the two of us took off on a wild adventure to the west coast to compete. Of course, we had to avoid adults along the way who were trying to bring us back and sepearate us but in the end, I got to compete and wound up winning the whole thing.

Najib_H

Stunt Coordinator
Great thread!

So much to list:

Final Fantasy VII:
The whole game....leaving Midgar to start on your huge adventure....spending hours and hours raising chocobo's to get the legendary Knights of the Round Materia. It just destroyed Sepherioth....the charcters....Using Clouds Omnislash the first time.

MGS:
Unbelievable game play. What a gaming experience! From the in game movies to the deep story to the challenging boss fights, this game had it all!!

Resident Evil 2:
When the Alligator jumps out!

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night:
When you beat the game only find out there is one more castle.

God of War:
The first time you swing the blades....the combos....the blood....the graphics....one of the best on the PS2.

Resident Evil 4:
The last boss fight.

Devil May Cry:
Unlimted ammo....awesome combos....DMC3 kicked my ass!!!

Chrono Cross:
What a beautiful game....beautiful music...the switch in the middle...and multiple endings.

Gears of War:
The reason i bought the 360...from the moment your put in the action...

FFX:
Fighting Sin and the ending movie....

FFVIII:
The deep sea research center

Diablo 2:Lord of Destruction:
Hardcore mode.

Warcraft 3:
The last fight!

Too many to list.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks