What's new

Good Powered Speakers for 2 or 2.1 System (1 Viewer)

ndmuscutt

Auditioning
Real Name
Noel
I am trying to put together a very budget home theatre system. This system is going to be used mostly for teaching videos for a church youth group in our home (with occasional movie watching for my family.) They're kids and they're not picky, so it doesn't need to be super hi-fi and it doesn't need to be surround.

I bought a BenQ MW516 projector yesterday, I have a DVD player that I will be using for video (maybe eventually upgrade to BluRay). What I need now are some speakers, but I don't want to spend more than $200 for all of the audio equipment.

Can you guys give me a recommendation for a 2 speaker or 2.1 system? I was thinking of the Klipsch 2.1 Promedia speaker system for use with PCs, but I don't know if this is a wise call. They are powered and have plenty of power for a 11'x20' room and for our purposes.

If I have to get into a receiver with speakers on top of that, I think I'm definitely getting past $200.

I know some of you guys are always up for a good challenge, so this might be fun for some of you. Thanks so much.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Assuming you actually want a real system your best bet is to go with either the Onkyo HT-S3500 or the Onkyo HT-S5400. The 5400 has a powered sub, so you could replace it later if you so chose, The 3500 has a passive amp; that means the receiver drives the sub. That's not a problem except for when something breaks or you want to upgrade.

If you want a real system but cheaper, then go used or refurbished. There's a boatload of fine equipment out there that's fine but not state-of-the-art, and people upgrade and dump what they have.

Most powered speakers like the Klipsch have a 1/8th plug, which you'll have difficultly hooking to most DVD/BR players. Those speakers will work fine if you use a PC as the center of your system though. (I love the Promedias by the way.)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why is a 1/8th connection a problem? Have you never seen a RCA-1/8th cable?They've only existed 50+ years. You can buy them online for $1.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Well, go on and complete the configuration. It sounds like you want the OP to buy a receiver with preouts, some powered computer speakers, and an adaptor. If I've guessed correctly I can't see how that would be much cheaper than just getting the 3500. Of he ould get a receiver without preouts and doubly amp the signal, I've never thought that was a good idea for sound quality, but I've also never tried it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

ndmuscutt

Auditioning
Real Name
Noel
schan1269: What is the advantage of the AudioEngine A2s over the ProMedia? Since it is mostly for teaching and occasional movie watching, and never for music, wouldn't the bass that the Klipsch provides prove richer for movies?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I had the A2 confused with the A5. I still think the A2 beats the Promedia above 80hz(the A5 is darn near universally heralded as the best self-powered speaker there is).Another solution...BIC DV62 with any T-amp of your choice. That would provide better bass, better overall sound...and you could afford up to a 45wpc T-amp. And still be under $150.

ndmuscutt

Auditioning
Real Name
Noel
Thanks for the input guys. After Al had mentioned the HT-S3500, I began to think a bit more about a surround system with a BluRay player. Turns out I found an HTIB system for right around $200 dollars, the LG BH6720S. Honestly, I don't like the thoughts of something going wrong with one part of an HTIB system, because then the whole system is down, but for near $200, I couldn't really argue with this. There seem to be enough decent reviews on it.

Again, I appreciate the advice.

ndmuscutt

Auditioning
Real Name
Noel
Well, here's the thing. If I was in the States, I could find the ST-S3500 for $279 at the lowest (which is over what I have specified above). On top of that, I'm in Canada and, for some reason, I can't find it for under $400 here (which is twice what I have specified on spending). So, my hands were a bit tied. The HTIB will have to do, and it seems that most people who have it were happy with it. Given that I am not hosting Cannes, I think that it should do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks