What's new

Godzilla 2014 teaser anticipation thread! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Michael Elliott said:
Man, I'm getting tired of these remakes.
I hope you meant "Remake of the 60's" one, as there was no '98 one. It never happened. You can't tell me it ever did, la-la-la, I'm not listening...
dpippel said:
New JAKKS Pacific giant Godzilla toy reveals the first really good look at Big G's new design.

**SPOILERS***

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1724222/exclusive-giant-godzilla-toy-reveals-first-clear-look-at-monster.jhtml
So, instead of the '98 one looking like Jay Leno, this one looks like Brian Dennehy? :P

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm just interested in the typical "I hate remakes" crowd falls into play. This series has obviously been done countless times over the year so why do another one? Where are the complaints saying we need original films and not reboots? Either way, yes, I'm going to be paying to see this even though Godzilla isn't one of my favorite monsters. With that said, I'm thinking about introducing my son to some of the movies as I re-watch them for this one.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
This series has obviously been done countless times over the year so why do another one?
What piques my interest about this is:

1. Seeing the Big G done with modern visual FX instead of the usual Toho "man in a rubber suit" approach. Same goes for the sound FX.

2. Having the dark, ominous tone of the original movie, not the "oh, look at the cutsie kiddie stuff" tone of the 60s movies. So far, it sounds like that's what we'll get.

3. Getting the look of Big G RIGHT, dammit. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with the 1998 version, but it sure as hell didn't look like Godzilla.

Those things are the "why" for me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Michael Elliott said:
I'm just interested in the typical "I hate remakes" crowd falls into play. This series has obviously been done countless times over the year so why do another one? Where are the complaints saying we need original films and not reboots? Either way, yes, I'm going to be paying to see this even though Godzilla isn't one of my favorite monsters. With that said, I'm thinking about introducing my son to some of the movies as I re-watch them for this one.
Trolling a Godzilla thread? We're still trying to get rid of the bad taste of the last remake. I think you need to take it to the Star Wars or Star Trek threads to get traction. ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Radioman970 said:
Jay Leno. lol ! I'm one of the few who liked '98. The TV station stuff was weak, but there's actually an okay movie in there. Some exciting moments.
Me too. Yes it's a bad film, with many poor choices , but I enjoy the effects and the overall scope of the film was impressive. They just didn't understand the Godzilla character. Guilty pleasure.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Nah not trolling. Just trying to figure out why a third or fourth remake is okay but a second remake to something isn't. A troll wouldn't watch the films in question. :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Tino said:
Me too. Yes it's a bad film, with many poor choices , but I enjoy the effects and the overall scope of the film was impressive. They just didn't understand the Godzilla character. Guilty pleasure.
Replace Maria Patillo (I think that's the name) and the move is 10 times better. She's got to be one of the worst casting choices ever. Despite that, I liked the movie better than most people did. I liked the Godzilla design too.

I am looking forward to the new one. I hope it's good.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
Nah not trolling. Just trying to figure out why a third or fourth remake is okay but a second remake to something isn't.
I think the biggest reason is because Godzilla is like James Bond where the series has gone on for so long and has had so many different actors or monsters that a new take is just kind of accepted at this point. Plus, it must help that this one actually looks good.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Yes but a lot of remakes are good but they're attacked for the fact that they are remakes. I don't want to take this thread too far off topic because I think everyone here is interested in the movie. With Bond they're mostly new movies. This here really is just a remake with modern effects to appeal to the masses who won't watch a B&W subtitled movie.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Nigel P said:
wxBsJTD.jpg

Look at the size of that thing!
I don't think Godzilla will be that big in the movie.
Tino said:
Really looking forward to this and hope its much better than the overrated Pacific Rim. And yes please make Godzilla the hero. That's one if the major things I hated about the '98 version. Everyone on screen cheering when Godzilla was killed and I'm like..how stupid.

And I loved Lost In Space. ;)
The first time I saw a movie at the LA Cinerama Dome it was Lost in Space. I enjoyed being at the Dome and the movie.

I liked the 98 version till they killed Godzilla. But, at the end one of the babies hatched and it was OK.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Michael Elliott said:
Nah not trolling. Just trying to figure out why a third or fourth remake is okay but a second remake to something isn't. A troll wouldn't watch the films in question. :)
A good troll would: intentionally stating things he doesn't believe to create conflict :)I realized a good movie is a good movie. I don't like bad remakes. But I'm happy with good ones.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Radioman970 said:
Jay Leno. lol ! I'm one of the few who liked '98. The TV station stuff was weak, but there's actually an okay movie in there. Some exciting moments.
It's guilty of the second greatest movie sin: merely being ok when you've got a giant lizard smashing hell out of a city.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
DaveF said:
It's guilty of the second greatest movie sin: merely being ok when you've got a giant lizard smashing hell out of a city.
Is anybody aware how much the Japanese are LAUGHING at the '98 movie's anal-retentive obsession with telling us the '98 Godzilla eats tuna?
(Yes, we know the line from Final Wars, and so do they, since they all thought they were clever in quoting it when they saw the trailer for this one.)

Let's get this cleared up once and for all: Godzilla does NOT EAT TUNA. He eats nuclear power. That's rather why he stomps through Tokyo, since they made the mistake of making power plants.
Whatever this tuna-eating thing was, it clearly wasn't Godzilla, because Godzilla doesn't run away from armies like a big 100-ft. wuss.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
All part of why the '98 version was wrong, wrong wrong. They foisted a literally feminized Godzilla on moviegoers.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
FoxyMulder said:
Godzilla isn't a he, Godzilla was female, at least in the later Japanese movies.
I thought he just found Minilla's egg?

(And later became a foster dad: )

Mothra, however, was clearly identified as female, since she laid eggs. (And acted like a "goddess" to the islanders.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks