What's new

Godzilla 2014 teaser anticipation thread! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Aaron Silverman said:
My understanding is that Goji-chan may battle several other kaiju in *this* film.
I really hope Godzilla is the hero and battles other monsters, what are the chances of this happening. ?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Really looking forward to this and hope its much better than the overrated Pacific Rim. And yes please make Godzilla the hero. That's one if the major things I hated about the '98 version. Everyone on screen cheering when Godzilla was killed and I'm like..how stupid. And I loved Lost In Space. ;)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tino said:
Really looking forward to this and hope its much better than the overrated Pacific Rim. And yes please make Godzilla the hero. That's one if the major things I hated about the '98 version. Everyone on screen cheering when Godzilla was killed and I'm like..how stupid.And I loved Lost In Space. ;)
I was the one cheering when Godzilla re-surfaced near the end of the 98' version.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm excited. It's a good trailer. I hope it gets the things right that Pacific Rim got right, and builds from there.

Also: Bryan Cranston!?!?! Didn't see that coming! I'm doubly intrigued.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Why you would need to do a HALO jump in a Godzilla movie escapes me? The use of the Stargate music from 2001:ASO in the trailer just seemed weird and oddly out of place. Oh well, (points up, gesticulating wildly) (poorly lip sync'd) GODZILLA!

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I was disappointed by Pacific Rim (and really didn't like the 98 Godzilla), but I love monster movies and I like what I have seen from this so far.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
wxBsJTD.jpg

Look at the size of that thing!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's scary now. About time! lol Really excited. I'll have to drive 3 hours for it but I'm gonna do it. Won't even bother with reviews and whatnot. Those will just ruin it for me. :)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I really hope Godzilla is the hero and battles other monsters, what are the chances of this happening. ?
I've a feeling that this movie is mainly about G and if it goes well, we see more G and more monsters. In any case, the trailer(s) is looking very good and atmospheric and "G vs Walter White"? I luv it. ;)

Bite me Roland Emmerich. Perhaps I can finally forget your "movie" about G? Maybe.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Godzilla movies were liked because they were cheesy. The bad dubbing turned them into unintentional comedies with a bad-ass rubber monster. Where is the cheese factor in this? That is why something like this is going to fail again and again, because the people who are making them are actually taking it seriously.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Edwin-S said:
Godzilla movies were liked because they were cheesy. The bad dubbing turned them into unintentional comedies with a bad-ass rubber monster. Where is the cheese factor in this? That is why something like this is going to fail again and again, because the people who are making them are actually taking it seriously.
And if you see them in the original Japanese WITHOUT the bad dubbing, they started becoming likably implausible B-action stories about jewel thieves or corrupt villains, in which a giant monster battle just happened to wander through the city and ruin their plans.
But played suspension-of-disbelief straight, without either the marketed audience-nudging goofiness of Dean Devlin, or the Hans-Zimmer ponderousness that's now become synonymous with Legendary Pictures.

(Classic Media interviewed some of the 60's foreign-dub actors on the original "vs. Mothra" DVD--
Since there was no industry for giant monster movies at the time, they were dubbed by the same 50's-60's studios that dubbed most foreign films, and the idea was that it would be easier to match Japanese mouth movements by giving the delivery a staccato "clip" that suggested a Japanese accent, without the incongruity of having Tokyo characters speak perfect English. One of the actors demonstrated, "Godzilla?...But...that's impossible!"
And as the commentary points out, yes, it's a rubber-suit actor on a miniature set, but look at the detail on those sets! What were we doing with our monsters back then, bad rear-projection screen?)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I just hope we actually get to see Godzilla. The editing in Pacific Rim was so fast and frenetic that I'm not sure I ever got a complete, steady, wide-angle shot of any of the creatures to really appreciate their size or design.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:

Edwin, have you seen the original Godzilla/Gorjira? Definitely NOT the same as the Son of Godzilla unintentional comedies. As much as people don't seem to like the US edit of the original (with Raymond Burr) it's still a different "monster" than the later movies...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I saw the full trailer last night, before Veronica Mars. I'm super excited!I have no deep attachment to old Godzilla movies, beyond the fond nostalgia of the goofy dubs, watched in reruns on a fuzzy VHF channel on a lazy weekend.But they aren't canonical to me. I'm ok if someone makes an actually good Godzilla movie. Pacific Rim was loads of fun, and gave me most of what I wanted. Most importantly, it showed how to make an awesome giant monster. If Godzilla can build on that, even skew serious, I'll eat it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks