What's new

Full Details: Disney's "Aladdin"! (1 Viewer)

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator

The most noticeable difference to me, was the scene where Belle sees the Beast for the first time. He's in the shadows - this is right before she asks him to step into the light so she can see him better.

Well, in the original version, the colours were much darker and the viewer was struggling, along with Belle, to make out what the Beast looked like. This was intentional, to create suspense. In the altered version, you can clearly see the Beast's features while he's still in the shadows. Completely destroys the suspense and impact of the scene.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I definately prefer to have unaltered versions of films available with their newer counterparts.

But like most people here, I will buy this DVD unless, of course, this forum initiated a boycott...which is very unlikely.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator

Categorize it however you want, Ernest. Looks to me like a colour change/inappropriate brightening of the scene. I don't think it's the natural result of a DVD transfer - Rather a conscious alteration. You did ask for an example of something "altered" in BATB, not specifically for an example of "newly created animation". I believe others have already provided proof of newly created animation anyway, so I didn't want to repeat them.

I've read that the animators put a lot of thought into choosing colours for Beauty & The Beast, to help create certain moods throughout the film. And it seems Disney disregarded these original intentions, when they made the Platinum DVD. There are other complaints of colour changes on message boards like Ultimate Disney, if you care to check it out. A scene that originally had a blue tone is now gold, etc.

Sorry I'm getting off-topic in this Aladdin thread, so that's all from me.

Except to say...I think Disney deserves to be boycotted for false advertising.

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
Uh...I want "Aladdin" on DVD. It's funny. Hope the cover art doesn't suck. You guys think the cover art will suck? I hope not.

I once heard they had tons of recordings of Williams for this movie, loads of gags they just didn't have time to animate. I hope that a special feature is these riffs.

James Reader

Screenwriter

I see you didn't answer my point. How would you be able to put together an accurate thesis on "Disney Animation" if Walt went back and "fixed" all the "rubber banding" on the early Mickey Mouse shorts... and then refused to release the original versions ever again? (Or worse, passed off his new versions as the originals?)

This is why we are against the changes being made to Aladdin. Plus, the changes to BatB were minimal - personally it's the soundtrack that bothers me more than the animation/drawing changes. The Lion King had more changes, and based on the early press release it appears Aladdin has more changes than The Lion King. Where will it end? I think it is a fight worth fighting.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
It's a fight that will be lost. I do think that you'll have to worry less and less about it, though, because as has been said, the main reason that we're getting this redone animation at all is because this film (as well as POCOHONTAS, LION KING, and BATB) were altered for an IMAX release. Once POCOHONTAS comes out, all of those films will have been released. Since it's REALLY expensive to go back and reanimate films and Disney has decided to forgo any further IMAX releases, I suspect that all of the other films will be released in their original versions. However, I seriously doubt we'll ever see the original versions of these films on DVD. Perhaps HD-DVD, but perhaps not, since I'm sure that Disney has created Hi-Def masters for the DVD releases and will most likely use them again for future releases.

Am I happy about the changes? Nope. I'm of the mind that the original versions of films should be available as well as any "enhanced" versions. Is there anything that we can do about it? Nope. Nobody but film buffs will care about the changes so why should Disney? Now if Roy suceeds in ousting Ei$ner and is able to find someone to lead Disney who actually has vision then all bets are off.

James Reader

Screenwriter

Evil Dead wasn't made unavailable when Evil Dead 2 was released. And I have no problem with "remakes" (or "reimaginings") - not that I count ED2 as either. Because then the creators are "moving on" and applying what they have learnt to make a new film. I also don't have a promblem with "director's cuts" as such. Especially if new footage is being added to flesh out the film (like the LOTR extended editions), but I do have a problem with releases like Superman: The Movie, where only the director's cut is available.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

Usually, it was the minimum required number of daily shows that broke the backs of many IMAX theaters. A good portion of IMAX screens are part of museums or other educational institutions, and couldn't devote 100% of their screen-time to a commercial Disney film for weeks at a time.

-Lyle J.P.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
In fact, Disney mandated, at least for Fantasia (and possibly Beauty & The Beast) that nothing else be shown on the screen, and that they get 100% of the ticket price. A place like the Boston Museum of Science (until recently the only IMAX screen in the Boston area), which doesn't sell concessions, wouldn't go for that. Heck, they had to build a temporary facility in Los Angeles to get one of those two movies shown.

I gather they've backed off that some - Treasure Planet was splitting a screen with Attack Of The Clones when I saw it in New York - but probably not enough for these reissues to be a good fit for many IMAX exhibitors.

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Disney have now issued the full press release for Aladdin. I've copy and pasted it below - not sure how it'll turn out because it's from a PDF document and not a Word document. Fingers crossed!

FIRST TIME EVER ON DISNEY DVD OCTOBER 5
ALADDIN
2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION
A WHOLE NEW WORLD OF PICTURE & SOUND:
Newly Restored, First Ever Digital Presentation
With 5.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix
A WHOLE NEW WORLD REVEALED
Features Deleted Song From Academy Award®
Winning Songwriters Howard Ashman and Alan Menken and MORE
A WHOLE NEW WORLD OF FUN & GAMES
Thrilling Virtual DVD Magic Carpet Ride, Hysterical Inside The Genie’s Lamp 3-D Tour,
All-New Games, and MORE
BURBANK, Calif., February 9, 2004 – The wait is over, your wish has been granted! For the first time ever,
Disney’s animated classic ALADDIN is available as a “Platinum Edition” 2-Disc SPECIAL EDITION DVD set
and special Collector’s DVD Gift Set from Walt Disney Home Entertainment on October 5. Unavailable in any
form for over ten years, this double Academy Award®* winning magic carpet ride is presented for the first in a
digital format in a magical 2-Disc set with a huge menu of bonus features. The ALADDIN SPECIAL EDITION
DVD includes the deleted song “Proud Of Your Boy” by Oscar®-winning** songwriters Howard Ashman and
Alan Menken; a wild virtual DVD carpet ride with all-new animation and stunning 5.1 Surround Sound; deleted
scenes, never-before-seen “Aladdin” movie secrets, a hilarious 3-D tour of the Genie’s lamp, games that extend the
movie experience, Genie musical postcards, sing along songs, all new music videos, and MUCH more (see
attached). Plus, the special Collector’s DVD Gift Set, available day and date, offers even more treasure for the
Aladdin fan who must have it all.
Designed specifically for the best possible home theater experience, the stunning ALADDIN SPECIAL EDITION
DVD features the very finest in audio quality with the all-new 5.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix. This is
absolutely the most exciting way to hear one of Disney’s most outstanding musical masterpieces.
Disney 2-Disc DVD: $29.99 (S.R.P.). VHS: $24.99 (S.R.P.). Collector’s DVD Gift Set: $49.99 (S.R.P.). Please
read on for details! Available for a limited time!
(more)
ALADDIN PLATINUM EDITION 2-DISC DVD/PAGE TWO
A WHOLE NEW WORLD OF PICTURE AND SOUND
The ALADDIN SPECIAL EDITION 2-DISC DVD is restored and remastered for this first-ever digital
presentation – giving the public a new and enhanced Aladdin experience with increased crispness and clarity. In
some instances characters were redrawn adding more facial detail to accommodate the sharper DVD image quality.
Background colors in many scenes were enhanced both for color and for detail - all under the supervision of Disney
Feature Animation and members of the original creative team.
Designed specifically for home theater systems, this sparkling DVD features the very finest in audio quality with
the all-new 5.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix. This is the absolute best way to see and hear this outstanding
masterpiece.
• All-new 5.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix. Engineered to create a more dynamic and spatially
enhanced audio-sensory experience and designed specifically for home theater systems.
♦ Dolby® Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
♦ THX Certified
♦ Widescreen (1.66:1) Enhanced for 16x9 televisions
A WHOLE NEW WORLD REVEALED
Experience the magic behind the masterpiece with never-before-seen movie secrets; making-of feature; the firstever
comprehensive look at the making of ALADDIN; rare deleted scenes and more. The Academy Award®
winning* music for ALADDIN is now joined on DVD by the deleted song “Proud Of Your Boy,” a gem from the
Disney vault by legendary Oscar®-winning** Disney songwriters Howard Ashman and Alan Menken.

“Proud Of Your Boy”
The deleted song “Proud Of Your Boy” was originally composed for Aladdin and is recovered from the Disney
vault. This song is one of the last collaborations by renowned composers Howard Ashman and Alan Menken.
♦ Rare deleted scenes
♦ 2 Audio Commentaries
♦ Featuring the filmmakers

The Making of ALADDIN
Includes never-before-seen movie secrets. A break thorough navigation system allows the viewer to watch the
“making of” in a linear fashion or to branch out and delve deeper into areas of interest. Whichever experience is
chosen, the viewer will be delighted.
♦ ALADDIN art review
♦ Listen as key artists give you insights into the magic of animating Aladdin
♦ New and original music videos
(more)
ALADDIN PLATINUM EDITION 2-DISC DVD/PAGE THREE
A WHOLE NEW WORLD OF FUN AND GAMES
ALADDIN SPECIAL EDITION 2-DISC DVD includes the gravity-defying virtual DVD carpet ride “Aladdin’s
Magic Carpet” with all-new animation; hilarious tours with the Genie; hysterical inside look at the Genie’s lamp,
games that extend the movie experience, sing along songs, all-new music videos, Fun Facts Pop-Up trivia track and
much more.
♦ Disney’s Virtual DVD Ride: Aladdin’s Magic Carpet
A thrilling, gravity-defying magic carpet ride that allows players to be transported to Agrabah with Aladdin on
a quest to save Jasmine – featuring all-new animation and stunning 5.1 Surround Sound.
♦ Inside The Genie’s Lamp
Take a hysterical 3-D tour and get a never-before-seen inside look at the Genie’s “pad.” Who would have
thought the Genie had a billiard table at home?
♦ Genie’s Magical Journey
Based on the film’s original end credit concept. Take a hilarious, action-packed trip around the world with the
Genie and see what happened after he was released from the lamp.
♦ The Bizarre Bazaar Game
A fun and challenging game in which you must guess the mystery ware that the street merchant places before
you.
♦ FUN FACTS POP UP Track
Watch ALADDIN in the special “Trivia Mode” to learn fun facts about the film.
♦ Disney Song Selection
Sing along to your favorite songs as the words pop up on screen. Including “Friend Like Me”, “A Whole New
World”, “Price Ali”
• Music Videos
All-New recording of “A Whole New World” by the Disney Channel Circle of Stars
♦ And Much More
ALADDIN SPECIAL EDITION
COLLECTOR’S DVD GIFT SET
This is the must-have collection that every fan will want. In addition to the 2-Disc DVD and its bonus materials,
the set includes:
♦ All-new sketches by the original animators
♦ Highly collectible, actual film frame from the movie
♦ DVD Companion Book
Experience the magic behind this animated masterpiece.
(more)
ALADDIN PLATINUM EDITION 2-DISC DVD/PAGE FOUR
ABOUT THE RESTORATION
The ALADDIN SPECIAL EDITION 2-DISC DVD offers the highest quality digital presentation with enhanced
picture available, with an All-New 5.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix – creating a more dynamic surround
sense experience. For the Special Edition, ALADDIN has been meticulously and painstakingly reformatted one
frame at a time, working from the film’s original digitally stored files.
Led by a filmmaking team from Disney’s famed Feature Animation division, a group of Disney’s top artists and
technicians launched a major effort to remove dust and dirt, add detail and provide the home viewer with a digital
picture and sound that is the finest possible.
THE MUSIC
The legendary Disney composer Alan Menken worked with both lyricists Howard Ashman and Tim Rice on
ALADDIN. Menken won the 1992 Academy Award for ALADDIN for Best Original Score. Menken and Rice
won the 1992 Best Music (Song) Oscar for ALADDIN’s inspiring song “A Whole New World.” The
outstanding musical contributions in the film include such beloved songs as the lively “Friend Like Me” and the
upbeat “Prince Ali.” Ashman and Menken also collaborated and won Oscars for their work on the Disney
classics “Beauty and the Beast” and “The Little Mermaid.” Alan Menken holds eight Oscars to date.
CAST AND FILMMAKERS
ALADDIN’s stellar cast includes Scott Weinger (“Mickey’s House of Villains”) as Aladdin, Linda Larkin (TV’s
“House of Mouse”) as Princess Jasmine, Jonathan Freeman (“The Ice Storm”) as the wicked vizier Jafar, and
comedian Gilbert Gottfried as Iago the Parrot. Lea Salonga (Broadway’s “Miss Saigon”) and Brad Kane provide
the stellar singing voices of Jasmine and Aladdin.
ALADDIN is produced and directed by John Musker and Ron Clements, the same team that produced/directed the
Disney classic “The Little Mermaid.” Musker and Clements also co-wrote the film with Ted Elliot & Terry Rossio,
writers of Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of The Black Pearl.”
(more)
ALADDIN PLATINUM EDITION 2-DISC DVD/PAGE FIVE
Street Date: October 5, 2004
Feature running time: Approximately 90 minutes
DVD aspect ratio: 1.66:1 (widescreen) Original Animated Aspect Ratio
Enhanced for 16x9 screens
Suggested retail price: $29.99 DVD. $24.99 VHS.
Collector’s Gift Set: $49.99 (DVD only).
Rated: “G” General Audiences
Bonus material: Not Rated. Bonus material subject to change.
Sound: All-new 5.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
THX certified
Direct Prebook: July 27
Distributor Prebook: August 10
ALADDIN is Disney’s spectacular version of the classic Arabian Nights fairy tale. Set in the mythical city of
Agrabah, the story follows a street-smart teen, Aladdin, and his mischievous pet monkey, Abu. Aladdin falls in
love with the free-spirited Princess Jasmine, despite a law that says she can only wed a royal suitor. His luck
changes with one rub of the magic lamp, releasing the shape-shifting, fun-loving, wish-giving Genie, who turns
Aladdin into a Prince. But the evil vizier, Jafar, and his wisecracking parrot, Iago, also crave the lamp’s power. If
Aladdin is to defeat them and win Jasmine’s heart, he must learn to be himself – with a little help from his big blue
buddy, the Genie.
Walt Disney Home Entertainment is distributed by Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc., a recognized industry
leader. Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc. is the marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney,
Touchstone, Miramax, Dimension and Buena Vista videocassettes and DVDs.
* ALADDIN ACADEMY AWARDS®
Best Music, Original Score 1992 Alan Menken
Best Music, Song “A Whole New World” 1992 Alan Menken and Tim

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Categorize it however you want, Ernest. Looks to me like a colour change/inappropriate brightening of the scene. I don't think it's the natural result of a DVD transfer - Rather a conscious alteration."

Curious. Have you seen the differences between the recent Alice in Wonderland Masterpiece Edition and the old Gold Collection transfer? The new "Masterpiece" Edition has won praise for bringing out details that had previously been obscured by a low contrast transfer.

Now, here is a criticism of Beauty and the Beast, in which a character previously obscured is now more visible due to a lighter contrast transfer.

In the fututre, if Disney wants to know where to set their brightness and contrast home video transfer settings on a title-to-title, scene-by-scene, moment-by-moment basis, they should just consult you. Clearly you know how they should be calibrated without altering the original theatrical intent.

Right?

"You did ask for an example of something "altered" in BATB, not specifically for an example of "newly created animation". I believe others have already provided proof of newly created animation anyway, so I didn't want to repeat them."

(rubs hand over forehead...)

(starts to speak...)

(raises hand in pointed objection...)

(pauses...)

So does anyone have a specific instance of something actually being altered in the "Original Theatrical Version" of Beauty and the Beast on the Platinum DVD? Other than a shot seeming brighter on home video than previosly seen?

I've read that the animators put a lot of thought into choosing colours for Beauty & The Beast, to help create certain moods throughout the film.

As opposed to, oh -- I don't know -- every other animated film ever made?

And it seems Disney disregarded these original intentions, when they made the Platinum DVD.

Hey - no TV image or home video image looks the way it does on a theater screen. Deal with it. Disney has always made differing versions of their titles based on medium, audience, and format. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs won raves from home video junkies and DVD web sites -- despite the fact that the colors had been severely amplified from the original watercolor-celluloid appearance. Frank Thomas and Ollie Johsnton were both invited to approve the restoration in 1993. "Nice Colors", Ollie Johnston said, "Not the colors we used in 1937, but nice colors."

Were is the massive outcry against Snow White? BURN DOWN THE DISNEYLAND CASTLE! A SHOT IN THE PLATINUM EDITION DVD OF BEAUTY AND THE BEAST DVD IS LIGHTER IN CONTRAST THAN A REMEMBERED VERSION!

"Except to say...I think Disney deserves to be boycotted for false advertising."

Disney deserves to catch hell for saying "original theatrical version" if no such version exists. No arguments there. Hang the Buena Vista bastards responsible from the yard arm.

Peace out.

--ER3

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Were is the massive outcry against Snow White?

There wasn't a big outcry but, to be fair, there were a number of people that were unhappy with that effort as well. There was one particular scene invloving the wicked Queen. Apparently the original scene had a fade to black with her eyes being the last to disappear. In the new transfer it just fades to black....no hold shot on the eyes. A lot of people were not happy about that.

I have to admit that I never really noticed the tampering with the color. I thought that faded watercolor look was more the result of aging than a deliberater choice of colors. Now that you have mentioned it, I wish the original version had been released along with the "cleaned up" version.

Just a minute......arghh, ughh...(breaks off branch).....I've got my torch. Can we start with Eisner's office and the boardroom first? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks