What's new

Full Details: Disney's "Aladdin"! (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I've got to put myself in the camp that doesn't like that Disney uses such false advertising when it is obvious to those that really know what's going on that the Original Theatrical versions are not included.

I really don't think Disney cares though, because they know that the average mom and kids aren't going to notice that this is different from that VHS tape they watched previously, and you know what they're right, I wonder how many people really notice this. Disney will make its money, which is kind of unfortunate because I really don't like that they just get away with this practice.

Since I've been reading HTF, I've learned more about replacement frames in animated movies, or a better way of putting it stuff being redone, than I ever thought was possible before hand. I guess that's just one of the purposes of HTF, making us aware of stuff we hadn't noticed or given too much thought to in our favorite movies/TV shows or what have you.

James Reader

Screenwriter
In Beauty and the Beast the soundtrack is different (the sounds of the beast smashing the castle when he lets Belle leave are on both versions. This was only added for the Special Edition to "explain" why the castle backgrounds went back to being trashed again).

Also the effects on the rose at the beginning of the film (and possibly throughout) are different.

And Ernest, the poll was for their "favourite" animated feature, not "best" - there is a difference! Ultimate Disney has a younger demographic, and it's only natural that the results would skew towards the later films. After all, these are the film's the majority of the members have grown up with.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Ernest,

One animated change that I can think of is on Beast's wounds after he saves Belle from the wolves. In the original animation, he's just got some open wounds visible. For the Imax release, some flowing blood was added to make his state appear worse. The blood pumping out is what we see on the dvd, even in the "original theatrical release", even though that retouch was added for the special edition.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, just like this DVD will include the original masterpiece feature on DVD for the first time ever!

:thumbsdown:

More than half of the creative team has severed ties with the Mouse House. I wouldnt put it past them.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Well,

I've seen the LD at least a zillion times so if there's anything truly stand-out offensive in the new "touched up" DVD version I'll hopefully pick it up.

But if I can get through the entire movie on DVD... having had such a history of watching the "original" version multiple times...and not notice anything "changed" during an intense-viewing session where I'm aware of potential alterations...I think I won't lose sleep over it.

We'll just have to wait and see...

James Reader

Screenwriter

This is actually in the original, I believe. Sort of anyway. The original has the bood, but it is coloured very dark, perhaps even black. In the special edition it is more noticable because the colour is increased.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
To me, and I'd say most of those who object, the real issue is about keeping the original film available.

It's not about which crocs you like better, or whether a specific scene is supposed to be light or dark, or even whether the original animators are involved.

It is simply about choice. I don't think anybody here cares if directors keep monkeying with their work as long as the original is available.

As pointed out elsewhere, we just want the same choice that Spielberg, Coppola, Cameron, Scott, Jackson, and other noted directors give us with their DVDs; the ability to watch the film that we saw in the theater.

Nobody has presented any compelling reason against such choice, and I doubt anybody ever will.

Heck, I prefer the revised 'Abyss' to the original version. But I still think the original should be available. Fortunately, Cameron and Fox have made sure that it is.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I wish the promotions art dept at Disney would put down their airbrushes, pick up an animation model sheet and depict the characters the way the appear in the films. Practically no Disney movie poster or video cover has had an accurate depiction of an animated character in 20 years.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
The Gold Collection cover for Pocahontas was pretty good, especially the dour, unhappy expression on ol' Pokie's face...I had the same expression on my face during most of the movie.

I keeed! I keeed!

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
By the way Robin Williams didn't sing the original Arabian Nights song either. I'm lucky enough to have the original soundtrack with original lyrics intact and the singer is listed as being Bruce Adler. I thought the voice was Williams the first time I heard it too. IMDB lists the merchant as being voiced by Adler so I don't think Williams did the merchant's speaking voice either.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Maybe its just me, but the drawing of Jasmine & Aladdin on the magic carpet on the cover art supplied above by Tom Tsai put me in mind of those various knock-offs that pop up where, I think, the companies try to fool people into thinking they are buying the Disney version of a children's tale.

They don't look ANYTHING like they do in the film.

That's pathetic.

Much like the CGI Tinkerbelle that flies around at the beginning of all the Disney DVD efforts. But at least they didn't put that CGI Tink on the cover of the Pinocchio DVD.

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
Aladdin is one of my favorite Disney movies, so I'm excited to see it come October.

And it'll be interesting to see what's been added (er... enhanced.)

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I saw on E.T. that Clay Aiken will be singing and making a video for the song "Proud of Your Boy".

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I'm spoiling my eventual review of this title, but lately, my memories of the premiere of the film and it's presentation for weeks after at the El Capitan are coming back.

The El Capitan had been re-opened only a short while before I moved to LA. When Aladdin opened - a few days before it premiered in the rest of the country - you can bet I was there. It was the first film I had ever seen at the El Capitan, and to this day, I have the opening "curtain music" and the memory of the cool blue lights shining off the screen of silver strips stuck in my head forever. Of course there was a pre-show, and this was fun, but the movie itself was the real joy.

My goodness - there are few things American culture gets right, things that speak to multiple people, multiple age groups, multiple races...I cannot express to people how special it is to see a Disney film in a packed house. Remember the Star Wars: SE reissues? That is the kind of electricity you'll find in a Hollywood theater on the night of a Disney premiere or Disney re-issue. I saw the same thing at the re-release of Snow White and the special Sinemascope screening of Lady and the Tramp. I saw the same thing when Tron was restored, when Mary Poppins was shown on the big screen again, when 20,000 Leagues was revived. You can't put your damn finger on it, but but there is an excitement and a joy and something else so fundamental and decent and sincere, no one word could ever describe it...whatever that is, that existed in those screenings. Same thing with the SW:SE screenings. If you've seen those films in Hollywood, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Disney films were made to be seen with an audience. Aladdin was especially made to be seen with an audience. When the Genie finishes "Friend Like Me", an applause sign lights up over his head, that's a cue to the mass audience to let rip and applaud. On video, he flashe that sign and....what, are you supposed to applaud wildly after you've seen it? No, Aladdin was like the other Disney classics - it was meant to be seen in a crowd, a foot-stomping, hand-clapping, rowdy mainstream crowd. I remember the thunderous applause after "Friend Like Me". I remember the shouts of joy after the opening sequence of "The Lion King". I remember the tears for Snow White, the laughter at the spaghetti sequence in Lady and the Tramp, the foot-stomping during "Step in Time" in Mary Poppins, the roar at the end of 20,000 Leagues...

That's the one thing I think is missing the most from Disney films in this home video revolution...the communal element. It is - was - whatever...a real ingredient to Disney's work. His films spoke to a mass audience, and being part of a mass audience while viewing his film is something really special. If at all possible, if you've never seen Aladiin, or haven't seen it many years, make a night of it. Invite friends over, or the friends of your kids over. Turn up the sound, watch the film with people you want to laugh with or have fun with. That's the ay the film was meant to be seen.

You don't watch Rocky Horror Picture Show alone, unless you are one sad college student destined for the retail counter. Neither should the Disney films be watched alone. Especially not Aladdin.

They'll probably alter the "good teenagers take off your clothes" line the fans heard since the movie was released on vhs. Like what they did with the sex in the clouds scene in TLK they had to alter for the IMAX release. Can't wait for this dvd btw still have my copy on vhs since 93 and that was back in 4th grade.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Like what they did with the sex in the clouds scene in TLK they had to alter for the IMAX release."

:rolleyes:

S F X...the name of the company who did that animation. Disney farmed out some f/x animation to other houses, one of which was S F X, who did the dust cloud scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks