What's new

Full Details: Disney's "Aladdin"! (1 Viewer)

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, sorry to steer this thread in a completely different direction, but I've been wondering this for years and hope there's going to be something on the DVD regarding this. Like pencil tests if it even got that far.

I remember hearing years ago a box set of Disney music with The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin. However, the Aladdin songs were quite different, and were refered to in the book that came with the set as unused songs from a different version of Aladdin. "Friend Like Me" was the only song I remember being common between the two, but the version in this set was much slower, with more swing.

Time seems to have stolen most of my memories of this, as the only other thing i remember is it came in a red box and the front sorta looked like sheet music.

Anyone have any details on this?

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Looking at it right now. It's called "The Music Behind The Magic" The Musical Artistry of Alan Menken, Howard Ashman and Tim Rice.

It's a 4 cd set with a very nice booklet that includes many songs and demos from Little Mermaid, Beauty and The Beast and Aladdin.

Disc 3 & 4 are dedicated to Aladdin with disc 4 all demo tracks for the score.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor

My thoughts exactly. It's this kind of thing that really angers me with some companies. I really don't care if they want to go and muck about with their films, but at the same time let me have the version of the film which I saw in the theater. That's the version I know and love, and that's the version I want to pay to see.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Sadly, in the interest of political correctness, the original version will likely never see the light of day again.:frowning:

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I agree Ernest on seeing it with a crowd. And, in a larger light, that's why no home theater, no matter how sophisticated the sound or great the picture, will ever replace the moive-going experience for me. That communal element is just missing in the house.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Ashman died long before ALADDIN was completed. The songs that he and Menken wrote were done for an earlier, much different, version of the story. That's why many of them didn't survive in the final film and Tim Rice had to be brought in as lyricist. At least one of the songs, "Proud of Your Boy" is being included on the dvd, although not in the film proper. It was originally to be sung to Aladdin's mother who, as we all know, isn't in the final film.

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
We now have our full, detailed review of the October 4th UK release of Aladdin: Platinum Edition here, the set looks to be virtually identical to the US release content-wise.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"...ironically with an anarchic film that is often as far from the Disney style as you could imagine."

This is not accurate -- the history of Disney animation is full of moments of wild abandon, surrealism, and yes, even outright anarchy. The *stereotype* is that Disney's work was laid-back and safe, but the *experience* and *actual history* of Disney's work is quite the oppposite. The character animation of the Genie leans heavily on the work of Tex Avery, of that there is no denying, but the hellzapoppin visual energy of his scenes can be traced all the way back to Ward Kimball's work in long-unappreciated The Three Caballeros. In fact, there is even an homage to The Three Caballeros in the genie's first scene, when he turns into three sombrero-wearing mini-genies.

I suppose I could make a list of the wildest moments in Disney animation, and demonstrate why Aladdin was merely a return to that side of the Disney tradition -- Bumble Boogie, After You've Gone, the Mad Tea Party, Pink Elephants on Parade, Blame it on the Samba, Mars and Beyond, scores upons scores of Goofy and Donald cartoons, Ward Kimball's "Adventures in Music" series -- you watch all these and you realzie that Aladdin is not as unique as it seemed. After 20 years of films like Robin Hood, The Fox and the Hound, and The Great Mouse Detective and Oliver and Co., I can see how it was a breath of fresh air -- but in comparison to the Walt-era work and Ward Kimball's work in particular -- it really isn't that "out there" and in fact, compared to some of these, it is really quite safe.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Aladdin originally had a different ending. Is that anywhere to be found on the dvds? (It originally was a reprise of the song "Arabian Nights".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks