What's new

Frank Miller's 300 (merged) (1 Viewer)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Ohh.... This trailer is a little different then the first one I saw.... It shows a little more action in it..... So far it still looks promising...IMHO

R~

Paul Case

Supporting Actor

Herodotus is a little dry, but he certainly serves better than Pressfield.

Pressfield is a hack. He has made quite a little niche market for himself by churning out cliche-ridden and clumsy fictionalized accounts of classic history. He does so on a regular and reliable basis with increasingly diminished returns. He may look ok when compared to some of the lowest grade mass market paperback writers, but that's certainly no mark of distinction.

By the way, just because Pressfield's book is the only popular modern novel of Thermopylae doesn't mean that it is a good book. When culture offers kitsch as the only option, it does not automatically render it a good option.

To get back on topic, Pressfield's hackery would have certainly served as better source material for a film than Miller's buffoonish cartoonery. The trailer speaks volumes in that regard. Michael Mann would likely have done wonders with Gates of Fire and transcended the source, but here it looks as if we are left with nothing but one hack compounding another.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
looks good... but i reserver judgement until the final product arrives.

we've been burned 2many times.

re: hamming it up, we haven't seen a decent action-flick in a while. perhaps this will fill the void. i hate newer movies striving SO hard to be so serious. we need more movies that "ham it up" more =).

Paul Case

Supporting Actor

Well, I'll allow the dictionary to describe Pressfield for me (from Merriam-Webster):

Hack : a person who works solely for mercenary reasons : HIRELING
b : a writer who works on order; also : a writer who aims solely for
commercial success

cliche: 1 : a trite phrase or expression; also : the idea expressed by it
2 : a hackneyed theme, characterization, or situation
3 : something (as a menu item) that has become overly familiar or
commonplace

clumsy: 1 a : lacking dexterity, nimbleness, or grace
b : lacking tact or subtlety
2 : awkward or inefficient in use or construction

kitsch: 1 : something that appeals to popular or lowbrow taste and is often
of poor quality
2 : a tacky or lowbrow quality or condition

Also, to further clarify kitsch:

"Because the word was brought into use as a response to a large amount of art in the 19th century where the aesthetic of art was confused with a sense of exaggerated sentimentality or melodrama, kitsch is most closely associated with art that is sentimental, mawkish, or maudlin; however, it can be used to refer to any type of art that is deficient for similar reasons—whether it tries to appear sentimental, glamorous, theatrical, or creative, kitsch is said to be a gesture imitative of the superficial appearances of art. It is often said that kitsch relies on merely repeating convention and formula, lacking the sense of creativity and originality displayed in genuine art."

That works for me! ;)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
To call my favorite book kitsch is to call me lowbrow. No worries. I can't speak for Pressfield's later works, just Gates of Fire. And it moved me immensely, for it was written by someone who understands the mind of a career soldier, and looked at the greatest military stand of all time. C'est la vie. Many critics seem to agree with my opinion, which means as little to me as Paul disagreeing with it ;) I love the book deeply.

Back to 300...the video quality makes a huge difference. I think the musical choice works very well for the trailer. I am glad it has a release date. I can't wait to see it. I'd love to see the trailer on the big screen. Perhaps at The Fountain :)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
if you watched the making of/behind the scenes they've been doing... most of hte background/landscapes are CG =). it's incredible where CG can take us. hopefully the writing/dialogue is on par with the quality of the fx.

i already love the ham the main char. guy in the trailer is espousing. love the ham!!! but no cheese please. i bet there'll be more sandwich jokes from hereon =).

John Doran

Screenwriter
see above.

that having been said, i am a child of the postmodern age and its use of "kitsch" as roughly synonymous with "camp". which again fails accurately to describe pressfield's book.

but i suspect that, at bottom, we have enormously inconsonant ideas concerning art and the philosophy of art. and this isn't the place to go into either...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Saw the trailer for this before The Departed. It rocked. I had never heard of this, but I am now stoked to see it. A perfect appetizer for The Departed, BTW.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
The bootleg trailer that was out before the official trailer is a FAR superior trailer. I was partly in shock when I saw this trailer in front of THE DEPARTED. If I hadn't seen the original bootleg trailer, I don't think I'd be as psyched. Do yourself a favor and seek out the bootleg.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

I didn't see this feature, but it was obvious from the trailer. I felt this was an oppressive trailer, in its trying to be cool and "hard." (please don't look up the dictionary on me for that one! :) ) Still might check it out, but the trailer for Sin City was a lot more appealing to me.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Also saw this attached to the Departed. Funny because Friday night I couldn't get it to load at work and I forgot to look at it at home.

Awesome-gave me the chills. That is one of my all time favorite NIN songs, so to hear it with those visuals was quite cool.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
Looks way overdone, like a Tony Scott movie. Gerard Butler is box office poison too. Good luck to this film.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yeah, kinda looked that way to me, too. It gives off a "I'M TOUGH AND I'M SCREAMING AND I'M THE BIGGEST BADASS IN THE WHOLE WORLD" vibe to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks