What's new

Fox and HDTV (1 Viewer)

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I can't understand why NBC does Ed in HD (don't get me wrong, I like Ed and the fact that it is in HD), but they don't do Thw West Wing in HD, and that show has been in widescreen for years.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
While I don’t know the reason that The West Wing is not in HD, it might well be that the sets were designed with SD in mind. SD for years allowed set designers to get away with lower-cost sets (compared to movies) and to upgrade the sets so that a high-def picture would not reveal (for example) fake paneling or woodwork can, depending on the sets, be expensive.

More speculation, but The West Wing has a pretty big investment in sets like the Oval Office. It may be considered too expensive to upgrade them all.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I can't understand why NBC does Ed in HD (don't get me wrong, I like Ed and the fact that it is in HD), but they don't do The West Wing in HD, and that show has been in widescreen for years.
Warner Brothers wanted NBC to pay extra money if they wanted to get The West Wing in high def. (Greed is the only reason. TWW is filmed so there's no reason for extra cost.) Apparently this is not normal but the issue has been cleared up or very close to fixed. Next season of The West Wing should be in high def.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
By the way, if anyone has both cable HD and satellite HD maybe they can comment on whats the better picture? From the TV store its hard to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks