Fox and HDTV

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Doug Smith, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

I was just passing through the few HDTV channels available in the Vancouver area through Shaw. Anyways I come across Boston Public on one of them. Its definitely in widescreen but it doesn't have the same quality as the other HDTV stuff. Just wondering how they're broadcasting it? Do they do other shows as well?

2. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

Fox broadcasts their shows in what is technically called "standard definition". I believe the resolution of their SD presentations is 480p which is about on par with DVDs.

3. Andrew_Gordy

Andrew_Gordy Extra

Hey Doug, I'm in Vancouver too and I was wondering how's shaws HDTV service. Is it worth the $700 price tag for the box. How much are you paying a month afterwards and what channels are you getting. Thanks!

4. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Yeah, technally speaking, Fox doesn't do HDTV since they broadcast in only 480p. For it to be classified as "High Definition", it has to be greater than 480p. (720p, 1080i, etc.)

For their shows it's a crap shoot. I've seen their NFL games in 480p look damn good. Then, I've seen the next week of games look like crap. It really depends on the show, but Fox has never shown anything as good as CBS's 1080i, etc.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Fox calls it "High Resolution" and it's more like EDTV (Extended Definition", but as noted before, it's only DVD 480p quality, not HD quality. Isn't SDTV more like 480i (typical NTSC broadcast quality)?

6. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    SDTV used to be 480i or 480p, but they now classify 480p as EDTV (enhanced definition). True HDTV is 720p or 1080i.

While I'd love for Fox to start broadcasting in true HD, 480p looks damn fine, especially upconverted to 1080i. And they broadcast a bunch of shows in widescreen to boot.

7. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

To Andrew:
    I think I was one of the first to pick up Motorola's 5100 HD cable box in early January. I had bought a Toshiba 57"HDTV in December so I figured what the... The box is actually only 599.00 CAN as you get a hundred dollar programming credit. The box is a major improvement on their previous digital box - it has both an optical and a coaxe digital out. It has Dolby Digital output (in Vancouver thats channel 60 and up, and it upconverts the lower channels signals to digital so that you don't have to switch (when in the lower channels) to analog as in the old digital boxes. When I first bought the box there were 3 HD channels being delivered - channel 136 was a mish mash of PBS HDTV material (which I still think is the most superior picture quality in HD), and stuff from other networks that was coming in in HD, CBS's HDTV channel (138), and NBC's (139) - these channels are all free with purchase of the box. In the last week two more channels have been addes, and that special HDTV channel is now on 130. One of the new channels is apparently Fox's - as I have mentioned. If you have an HDTV widescreen and don't have a digital box, for sure get the 5100 over the old box - its worth the extra dough.

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

But isn't Fox just deinterlacing 480i to 480p?

9. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

The local Oakland and Sacramento FOX stations upconvert their Wide-screen 'High Resolution' programs to 720p. Not quite as good as HDTV but close.

10. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Don't give Fox one damn bit of credit. Their quality sucks (I could be talking about their shows too, but I won't get into that here-- although, even The Simpsons' creators agree with me and others; have you seen some of their latest rips on Fox??), and they have no intention of doing any better until they're dragged kicking and screaming into HDTV-land.

Rupert Murdoch is the antichrist of network TV (in Britain they probably call him the same for tabloid newspapers).

For the record, Fox Widescreen is 480i and the affiliates upconvert to 480p, however many of the shows originate on 35mm film or high definition video cameras.

Dan

11. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

If something is coming over the HDTV channels in 740p or 480p, will my motorola upconvert to 1080i (which I have set it for) or down convert it to 480i?

12. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

13. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

There have been some rumors that Fox might go high def in a couple of years. According to some posts on avsforum.com some Fox network people have been at some trade shows asking a lot of questions about 720p equipment for production. Apparently the story is that they'll hold on to 480p standard def as long as possible and go to 720p high def in a couple of years when the equipment is more reasonably priced.

My guess is that in two or three years Fox will go high def, act like they invented it and hype it so much that it seems almost as good as the second coming of Christ.

14. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson

15. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

16. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

17. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

18. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, I enjoy Alias and Dragnet, and others seem to still be enjoying NYPD Blue and The Practice (though both are getting long in the tooth).

20. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

It seems to me (being rather new to high def) that the networks could pick and choose their HD shows a little better. I mean whats the point of watching Everybody likes Raymond in Hd - its filmed on a stage. This is why the PBSW shows (like travelogues) and football games are so fun to watch - the camera is way back and the far off clarity really show off HDTV to its fullest. I guess this why these types of shows are playing in the audio/visual stores.