What's new

First Look: Star Trek The Original Series - The Complete Season One (1 Viewer)

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Thanks Ron!

I suffered through the 40 disc set for years (got LOTS of them as xmas and birthday presents) and the space was MASSIVE. I ended up putting them all in a travel case and chucking the keep cases. When these sets were announced I was really annoyed. With the packages gone, there was no way I could sell these on ebay.

Thanks for letting me know I don't have to upgrade.
blush.gif

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Thanx for the screenshots Ron! I don't know why, but I was expecting the packaging to be a whole lot bigger. Maybe I'm suffering from Battlestar Galactica syndrom or something.
blush.gif

For me, the shelf space issues and the extras (The Okuda text commentaries are always fun - just wish more episodes had this feature.)are well worth the upgrade so I sold off all 40 discs on eBay and had more than enough $$ to purchase all 3 sets. These are gonna look sweet on my 110" screen.
thumbsup.gif

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
quote:It's much smaller than I thought it would be, which is good.

yeah, the impression i was getting before was that the pill box was going to be Cylon head sized.
i agree the interior looks cheap and tacky, but overall size here is a big +, imo.

now i'm regretting that i cancelled my pre-order with a nice STL discount.
frown.gif

money was looking tight, but now i think i might have been able to swing it after all.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thank god I'm going on vacation for two weeks. This 25-year-old has been waiting for these sets for a long, long time. It'll finally complete the best Trek has to offer (TNG and DS9 included).

Thanks bunches Ron!!

MattGentry

Second Unit
Now, a question. Should I wait until all three seasons are released as one massive set this winter? Or, is buying each set individually going to be the same?

Shannon B

Grip
quote:Now, a question. Should I wait until all three seasons are released as one massive set this winter? Or, is buying each set individually going to be the same?

That's a great question Matt. There's several of us that are wondering the same thing. As you may have noticed the series release in December for some countries include interesting extras and packaging design. No word yet on what the US release will be like for the series release though...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advanced look Ron. Glad to see definitive evidence of that package being the way it is. The hand is a nice reference for scale.

I've been working like a dog lately. I haven't treated myself to much in the last two years. And I want those extras.

As much as it hurts to repurchase and double dip in essentially the exact same transfers, I am leaning towards the buying side of the fence. I am weakening!

Ditto what Matt and Shannon said regarding a mondo release in December.

Nelson

PS: Regarding Ron's insights to the lengthy menu animations and FBI warnings and logos, I guess it's a double edged sword for us DVD collectors. It's either the bare bones of the original releases or the deluxe new ones. The extra efforts that these new DVD creators went through to enhance the experience of navigating through the new menus has a price obviously. There is a middle ground and I would have maybe done the case design differently, but without actually seeing these, the sense I get is that these sets were lavishly and lovingly assembled with the fan in mind.

Regarding the jitter on COTEOF, I looked very closely at the laserdisc copy and the first generation DVD of this episode. I couldn't see it on the LD at all. All I saw was some handsheld motion on the scenes when they arrive in the 1930's. The only time I saw vertical jitter was when Kirk and Spock cross the street and the car almost hits Spock. And later in a few scenes I could see it jitter. But its so minor on my screen, it's not a distraction. I had to really look hard for it, in other words, my eye was focused on the edge of the screen to compare stationary objects on the screen to the edge of the monitor bezel. You guys who are distracted by this must be watching on large screens beyond 32"!

DanFe

Second Unit
I canceled all my pre-orders for the 3 separate cases and went with the UK release. That will give me plenty of time to see if the US release comes in with something good and cancel the UK release from Amazon.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm still ploughing thru my DS9 Seasons and Tonight I screened 4 episodes from the 5th season and would'nt you know it one of which was "Trials and Tribblations". This was the first time I had seen the episode on DVD. It was obvious that in order to have the older footage match the New DS9 footage that paramount performed alot of Digital cleaning of the TOS Print.
Comparing the Footage from DS9 to my original DVD of the episode there is no comparison, the DS9 footage is pristine.

I think you all know where I'm going with this. I can imagine cleaning up the print was a very espensive proposition. I can imagine cleaning 79 such prints would be even more. But at $100 a pop I think Paramount could've swung it.

If the TOS Sets had transfers that looked like the footage in

"Trials" I would've gladly forked out my $300 clams.

Britton

Screenwriter
quote:You guys who are distracted by this must be watching on large screens beyond 32"!

Back in 2000 when I got the old "The City on the Edge of Forever" disc, my home theater system consisted entirely of a 550MHz Pentium III with a 17" monitor and I still noticed it. I'll probably give the disc a rent from Netflix and check it out before I commit either way. It is TOS after all!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I can't understand why Paramount would release "The Tholian Web" cut? Don't they know about this? Maybe they have fixed it.

Bill_Norton

Auditioning
Does anyone have any information on the City of The Edge of Forever Soundtrack problem? For the last several releases of this Episode Paramount had some sort of licensing issue with some incidental music that either was or sounded like "Good Night Sweetheart". To solve the problem in the past releases they dredged up some awful replacement music dub of a tune I guess called "Memories".

You can here the replacement track, if present, in the romantic scenes with Kirk and Edith Keeler.

Anyone know which tune plays? If it is Memories you will here the title in the Lyrics themselves.

If you have seen both the original and the altered version it does make a difference.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Are these episodes remastered?

I thought that these were simply repackagings of the existing DVDs. The authoring of the forty separate DVDs that had been released years ago is about as good as it can get, short of high-def

So, are these, in fact, new authorings?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
New authorings, yes. Seemingly the same transfers. New encodes of those transfers? Dunno. I'm sure someone will be comparing the file sizes of the episodes soon enough.

Bill_Norton

Auditioning
One last note on the incidental Music for City On the Edge Episode. The original DVD release states on the jacket that the music has indeed been altered. I held off from buying this episode based on this disclaimer. Now thanks to many emailings from informed DVD aficionados that purchased the set anyway, it seems that the disclaimer on the original issue was in error. The text was copied almost word for word from the earlier laserdisc release which was also copied from the original VHS release and was never revised when the music was restored for DVD.

You would think for what Paramount charges for these sets they would exercise more care in the prep and edit of them.

Thanks for the info everyone.

FYI: I already preordered the set myself amazon has it for around $84 plus free ship.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I wish Paramount would let people know about the Collection Set before I decide when to buy Season One.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Ditto! I'm salivating like a stoned Mugato (god I'm a geek) in anticipation of getting these sets, but I don't want to do anything until they tell us what the full December set will be! Argh!

Thanks for the initial look Ron! I'll be snapping this one up one way or another.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
quote:My copy's different - it doesn't have a giant hand growing out of it...
smile.gif

"I see a great hand, reaching out of the stars..."

Ooops! Wrong series.
wink.gif

Well, I'm glad Paramount has finally bowed to the invetiable (despite years of protesting that they would never do so) and that I'm finally going to be able to add TOS to my collection of TV on DVD. Because I flat-out refused to buy the original release and had plenty of other product being properly released in full-season sets to spend my money on in the meantime.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks