What's new

First Look: Star Trek The Original Series - The Complete Season One (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
When this set is reviewed I want to know how the picture quality compares with the original DVD releases. It really had better be superior if I am going to double-dip.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jack,

I am almost 100% certain it is the same exact
transfers as the original.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the transfers -- according to what I am seeing posted here -- are the same, but, apparently, the discs have been reauthored. At least according to some of the posts here. If so, and if there clearly is an improvement over the first releases (hard to imagine, given how good they are), I will double-dip.

Moe*A

Stunt Coordinator
My wife just placed an order for my birthday for this set, I cannot wait till this arrives as it has been many many years since I have had the pleasure of watching this great show. No more whiny kids or diplomatic Captains just a shoot first and make love to the ladies attitude. Just need to get through Buffy S6 and S7 before this arrives.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Am I the only one to have this reaction? On my first look at the packaging, I thought, "its a phaser!"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:I'm salivating like a stoned Mugato (god I'm a geek)

Yeah, but are you geeky enough to know it's really called a Gumato and the story behind the name change?

Reggie K.

Agent
quote:Yeah, but are you geeky enough to know it's really called a Gumato and the story behind the name change?

Easy:

In William Shatner's book: Star Trek Memories. He has a picture of the mugato. Underneath the picture is says something like: "The Mugatu, originally called the Gumatu, but changed because DeForest Kelly kept flubbing his lines

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
Not specific to the season 1 dvd, but someone on another message board posted this link with a promo trailer for the Region 1 release.

Kickass trailer. I'm not planning on buying the dvd until the prices come down, but I know I'll be thinking of that promo when I start seeing the dvds show up at Costco and be very tempted.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Jack,

I don't own the original DVD releases... I've seen some of them, but don't own them. My impression, without a direct A/B comparison, is the same as Ron's - the picture quality is likely identical to the previous releases.

I've made it about a third of the way through the bonus features... had some trouble with one of the docs due to a blemish on disc 8 (couldn't watch about 3 minutes). I'll have the review up on Friday.

This is one happy Trekkie.

(Speaking of which, I'll have a review of Trekkies 2 up by the end of the weekend).

-Scott

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that first season trailer has been around for a while now. Funny how they inserted a second season Tribble shot into it.

Thanks for the sneak peek, Ron. And Scott I'm looking forward to your full review!

The jury is still out on whether I am double dipping.

BTW, does the spacing between paragraphs look a little odd lately?

Ric

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'm sure all of the transfers for both releases are taken from the full-length digital masters produced when The Sci-Fi Channel ran the series uncut in 90 minute time slots a few years ago. Those were so recent that I doubt Paramount felt it necessary (or cost-effective) to create new ones for either of the DVD releases.

Regards,

Joe

P.S.

Yeah. The paragraph spacing is way off.
wink.gif

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I still don't understand why "The Tholian Web" episode was cut on the first dvd? I hope they at least fix it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I noticed the paragraph spacing too. One theory, are you a Mac user? I am, and I fix it by going back to Quick Edit to remove the spaces.

Regarding an earlier comment that the new yellow box looks like a phaser, I didn't make that connection, it kinda sorta does look like a Type One hand phaser, if you squint real hard. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm not a Mac user and it happens to me. It's something to do with the HTML encoding, and it's happening all over the site.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've been noticing the space-between-hard-returns thing in this thread, too. Weird.

Scott, thanks for the info. If ever you get a chance to look at one of the earlier first-season releases in those ugly orange-colored keepcases, please do a comparo. Well, anybody here.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I've just stumbled across something quite amazing. Seems there is an Enterprising group - pun intended - of Star Trek fans who have banded together to continue the original 5 year missions of the Enterprise.

The cast and crew are based in LA and many work within the entertainment industry - New Voyages.

Given that it is a labour of love situation, the writing and acting levels do not match professional levels. OTOH the level of detail given to sets, costumes, and SFX are stunningly well done. Classic poses and shots are captured in the end and title credits and the same music is used throughout the show.

They have one episode complete which you can find here: In Harm's Way.

At the home site there is also a trailer available of the next episode!

I have to geekily admit that I actually got goosebumps watching this!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the new set Scott!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Lou there's afew groups doing original eps, there's also Exeter studios their stuff is pretty neat. And there's a group doing original TNG era eps that leant toward the gay lifestyle...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks