What's new

Finally bought FIREFLY! (1 Viewer)

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I believe the opening narration was one of those things imposed by the network, because they felt people wouldn't understand the series unless someone explained the entire universe at the start of each episode.
I like that the DVDs leave them off, because I can imagine the Alliance covers several solar systems, instead of the improbable dozens of worlds in one system. Well, I could until the movie reintroduced the idea.
What does annoy me about the DVD is that the screen goes black to indicate act breaks. When the show aired on Fox, it'd fade to a brown leathery pattern before commericals and hold for several seconds. They did it because Fox used a computer program that would cut to commercial if they just went to a black screen, but it was also a neat effect.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Everything about Fox in all its forms, is always a little off...cropped network broadcasts, widescreen DVDs with great image quality.
Network introductions, DVDs with chopped-off recaps.
Cancelling shows left and right, releasing them on disc with the respect they should have received in the first place.
Fox, regardless of its form, is something I'm sure we all love and hate in equal measure.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
also, as i understand for one or two episodes of buffy, they actually delete the opening of an episode because the previously on merges right into the episode.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I did read mulitple places online that it was Joss himself who wanted to keep the backstory intros off of the dvds (how they're on the dvd is how he wanted them presented), not as a decree from FOX.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Ryan L. Bisasky said:
also, as i understand for one or two episodes of buffy, they actually delete the opening of an episode because the previously on merges right into the episode.
Several episodes of ANGEL, in various seasons, suffer from this as well.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
Count me as another addicted Firefly fan. Firefly was one of the first DVD's I rented when I joined Netflix two years ago and my son and I were completely hooked.

I bought the set and showed it to the rest of my family and they all were hooked. My family is rewatching it this week for the fifth time.

I'd say if you're not hooked by "Our Mrs. Reynolds", then perhaps the show is not your cup of tea...

david_hu

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the show on DVD and really didn't see what all the fuss was about. I dismissed it as a sort of Bonanza in space.The show is O.K-I suppose-but it's not the greatest peice of SCi-Fi ever as alot of Joss Whedon nutters would have you believe.

Having said that, i loved Buff & Angel and have the complete sets of those.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
FWIW, here's one fan who is not a Whedon nutter...Buffy and Angel never grabbed me. Firefly won me on its own merits.
In fact, in the fandom world, I've noticed the "Whedonite" Firefly fans are indeed a bit more "nutters" than folks who found Firefly on their own... ;)

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Robert Ringwald said:
Fox aired "The Train Job" in widescreen and because of the less than stellar ratings... chose to air the rest of the season full-frame (cause THAT was why ratings were bad... people were spreading the word to their friends about how widescreen the confusing "first" episode was...). The 2 hour "flashback episode" which was actually the original pilot "Serenity" got to air widescreen, probably because FOX had given up on the show and was merely burning the remaining episodes off. The show was composed 16:9 and filmed with the intention it would be seen that way.
Sci-Fi for one reason or another has chosen the 4:3 versions. The DVDs represent the show in the was it was designed to be seen.
Fox did air every episode 16:9 on their digital channel. I never watched the "standard" Fox channel back when Firefly was on, but I did see every episode in widescreen during it's brief run.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I bought/watched Firefly a couple of months ago when it finally started appearing in local stores. Let me tell you, after the first (long) episode, I thought: this is absolutely awful, makes Serenity (the movie, which I had previously watched twice) seem excellent in comparison.
Then the second episode!! So much better. Then the third. I was hooked, watched them all over 2-3 nights, and then Serenity again. Was really sad when Firefly ended, it just seemed so short and I was really into it. I am also one in the camp that Serenity seems much better and more comprehensible after having watched the series, the "background" did benefit me.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'll chime in too. Just bought Firefly as well after falling in love with the movie Serenity. So far, I just finished disc 2. LOVE IT. Some are weaker than others but still good. My favorite, besides the pilot, Serenity Part 1 & 2 is "Our Mrs. Reynolds"...that one had such clever lines and good stuff. Can't wait to finish the set this week.

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
I've just started watching the episodes that contain commentary tracks. They are very enjoyable. While I can't say that they are particularly informative, (there are a few interesting nuggets of info) they are fun to listen to. Some of them are interesting because they had not made the movie yet. I just finished "War Stories" with Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk. You definitely can tell that the cast and crew really enjoyed working on this show. I highly recommend the commentary tracks.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well, I just finished disc 3. I thought I had a favorite until this disc. Wow. All great ones on this round. So far I think the episode "Out Of Gas" might just be the best.
Dang, only have 3 episodes left! Kind of dread it now.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Quick question: Obviously I am a bit late to the Firefly scene but what's the secret to the crew speaking something Chinese when they get rattled or flustered? Doesn't bother me...it's kind of cool but was just curious what was, if any, the history behind it. Thanks. :)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
China and America are looking to become the two dominant world powers in the future... Joss's idea is "What if the east and west blended cultures..." That's why a lot of the clothing and sets have a strong asian influence, and why they occasionally swear in Chinese.
I suppose it's implied that those who speak Chinese on the show might swear in English... ;)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Cool Robert & Scott, & thanks. This show is really awesome and too bad it's no longer on air. I did this all backwards, probably not alone, but got my first taste of this Firefly world by watching the movie, Serenity...LOVING it, then just buying the complete series.
The cast has what might be the best chemistry I've ever seen. I love it and can't get enough. :)
Thanks again for the tidbit.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
big firefly fan.huge serenity fan.i've watched serenity at least once a week since it came out on dvd.a month or so ago i remember hearing the broadcaster keith olberman talk about the heads of the fox network that they were not the best people to run a network and i'm putting it nicely.he was referring to around 2002 when firefly was on.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Tim;

The lower class people speak Chinese in this universe. It is sort of the low class language. The main characters are from this level of society but have learned to speak more "affluent" because they have to fit in to all levels. They speak mostly english now, but when they get frustrated, they revert back to their native tongue so to speak.

I think Joss pulled this off really well. I always liked how he writes dialoge. The same with Buffy and Angle.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
wish this would come back in a live action format, but joss revealed the big secret in the movie..the actors certainly don't seem too busy :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks