Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
After procrastinating for moths, I finally received Firefly
this afternoon.
I wanted to watch this series because I just bought a HD-DVD
player and I understand Serenity is an absolute must-see!
I figured my overall appreciation of Serenity would be
that much higher if I watched the series the film spawned from.
It will take me a while to watch FIREFLY as I have a new TV
coming in a week. Fortunately, with only 13 one-hour episodes
I'll be able to cram it all in before next week, or get to it soon
after I get my new set hooked up.
Anyhow, you guys on this forum did manage to twist my arm
on this show some time back so I wanted to let you know I am
about to dive into it.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Ron, make sure you give it a few episodes before forming your opinion. It takes a couple of episodes to really understand the "firefly universe". You will definitely like Serenity more if you watch the series first. Good Call.

I envy you getting to watch it all for the first time. I bet you'll love it.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I also finally gave in and picked it up at the last DDD sale.

It's unfortunate we'll never see the series in HD as the FX have only been done in SD. Oh well...

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I picked it up cheap a few weeks ago and just finished it. Even though I watched it when it was originally on watching it IN ORDER (unlike the original air date) adds alot to it.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I just finished it for the first time a few weeks back. Like others, I didn't warm up to it at first. It was enjoyable, but nothing special. After finishing the whole series and watching the movie, I can't wait to watch it for a second time.

Or you could be like my wife. She was hooked from the first episode.

Either way, I look forward to hearing your reactions to the show.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Great show. Bought the series blind when it came out. Wish the show had lived.
Ron...how about Farscape after you finish Firefly?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Ha! Ron I was actually thinking 'bout you last night when I put Serenity (HD) in for a few chapters last night. Watching the first twenty minutes or so, I had forgotten how unobtrusively Whedon establishes everything for a viewer with no reference to the series- I was almost going to go back into one of the HD threads and tell you to pick it up after all- otherwise I didn't think you'd get around to the series for a while, and that would be a shame as then you'd be postponing experiencing one of the greatest HD DVDs out there.

I don't know if its so much that the a/v is so steller (tho it is) or more the fact that all that a/v goodness is in the service of presenting such a witty, literate, and vivacious romp for a change and not just some vapid, money shot Hero posing, fireball outrunning, nonsense .

Echoing what others have experienced, it took me a while to click with the particular bio rhythm of that show, and even at the end, despite some absolutely killer single eps, I can't say I was a foaming-at-the-mouth rabid fan of it. But the more times I dip into the film on HD (which can't be helped at this point since my collection of HD DVDs totals all of 5 movies), the more I'm looking forward to revisiting the series.

I still have a few gripes with it, but its always at least an entertaining time waster.

enjoy!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I loved it from the first episode on. By the last episode, I was in love with it (and heartbroken).

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I watched it for the first time on DVD (never saw it on TV), and watched in DVD order. My kids and I loved the 1st episode, but thought the 2nd was weak. I silently went uh-oh - rapid drop off ... But the rest were great.
The worst part - especially from the kids - is being sad it ended after one season. (I really would have liked them to delve into the Ron Glass charater; which I'm sure they would have if given time.)
Forgot what I meant to post in the first place - I also bought this as a blind buy based on the forum comments. Thanks Firefly devotees!

Matthias Wolf

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthias Wolf
Al.Anderson said:
I watched it for the first time on DVD (never saw it on TV), and watched in DVD order. My kids and I loved the 1st episode, but thought the 2nd was weak.
The second episode on the DVDs (Train Job) is actually the replacement pilot the Fox execs demanded after seeing the real pilot (Serenity). Fox wanted more action and fun, so Whedon and Minear sat down on a weekend and wrote a new pilot.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Enjoy, Ron!
It took me a couple of episodes to really get into it. My favorite: "Our Mrs. Reynolds".
Definitely wise to watch the series before the film.
-Scott

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Congratulations! You are in for a good time.

My sister is a card-carrying Whedon fan but I could never get into the WB looking Buffy or Angel. When Serenity was released, I asked her if she had Firefly. We borrowed it and watched the whole series in a week. That weelend, we all saw Serenity on the big screen.

Thatw as a good week.

Derek K.

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ron

Whats your Ebay ID? I'll check to see when you put it up for sale.

I did enjoy Ron Glass on 'Barney Miller', though.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Finally, a Firefly / Serenity thread that doesn't bring up the ratings/box office crap, as if that makes any difference now...It's refreshing.
I ended up buying the boxed set twice - I had to sell the first one due to financial needs, and picked it up again just prior to the film's release. Both times I ended up paying the original $50+ price tag, which would have been only $20+ if I knew to wait a few days.
It was still worth it, though.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have two boxed sets of the Firefly TV series. HEH!!! And there are actually 15 episodes, 16 episodes if you couont the douoble length pilot episode. Remember, the set has three unaired episodes on it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Are the unaired episodes really worth watching?
BTW, great replies in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks