What's new

Fantasy Football 2003 (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The reports on Holmes still indicate that he's supposed to be ready for the start of the season. However, until he actually plays in a game, I would reserve any judgement.

I have started to put together my draft strategy, picking last (12th) in the first round and first (13th overall) in the second. I figure the following players will definitely be gone: Tomlinson, R. Williams, Faulk, Portis, Holmes, Shaun Alexander, McAlister, Marvin Harrison and Donovan McNab. Ahman Green and Travis Henry will probably be the other two players gone.

The above scenario would leave me with the following pool of players to consider: Edgerrin James, Corey Dillon, Stephen Davis, Fred Taylor, Jamal Lewis, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Rich Gannon, and Michael Vick.

I really want to wait on taking a QB, so I would probably grab James and Owens. If Owens is gone, I would take one of the other RB's that fell by Owens going earlier. The only QB I would consider here would be McNab. I won the league last year with a combo of Pennington, Maddox and Brad Johnson at QB, and that type of QB should be available in rounds 5 - 8.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Given you have back to back picks, grab either Vick or James and then the Bucs D. I realize it is probably much to early to be thinking D but they will definately be gone by the time you pick again. Your top defenses will be the Bucs, Eagles, Dolphins, and Panthers. Grab the Bucs as word here is they should be better than they were last year. A great D combined with a great QB or RB should help give you a formidable team and double digit points week in and week out.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Does anyone remember the Holmes injury? It looked eerily similar to Bo Jackson's hip injury. If I get the #1 in my league I may go with Portis.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I have the first pick in my local keeper league. It's a combo scoring league and every team has one keeper each year. I have Portis as my keeper and am looking for another stud RB to pair up with him. Because of our keeper rules, Faulk and Tomlinson will be available this year. I'm currently leaning toward Tomlinson because of Faulk's recent injury history but there's still doubt in my mind. A QB is out of the question because QBs get 3 points per TD, making RBs more valuable. We haven't declared keepers yet, but most likely Williams and Holmes will be keepers and not available. Would you guys take Tomlinson or Faulk and why?

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Here my cuurent roster for my fantasy football league:

Brett Favre
Ricky Williams
Garrison Hearst
Joe Horn
Isaac Bruce
Marty Booker
Ashley Lelie
Tim Brown
Johnie Morton
Anaquan Boldin ®
Jimmy Smith
Morten Anderson
Carolina D
Kansas City D

I'm 2-0 so far.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, this thread's been quiet for awhile.

I'm currently 3-1 and playing the top team in my division for first place this weekend. I have a couple of starting dilemmas:

1. Edgerrin James vs. Tampa or Anthony Thomas vs. Oakland. I currently have Thomas in the lineup going against the Raiders #30 rush defense, but it's now being reported that Edge may be healthy enough to play Monday night. He plays against a tough Tampa defense, though, so I'm still leaning towards Thomas, who is supposed to get more carries after his 100+ yard performance last week. Since I have no one else on my roster that plays on Monday night, I have to decide this Sunday morning.

2. Trent Green vs. Denver or Jay Fiedler vs. Giants. Green's been my starter, but has been below average so far. The Giants pass defense is not that good, so I'm leaning towards Fiedler.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Not much action in this thread. Let's see if we can get some discussion going again.

I have one starting spot to fill this weekend. My lineup so far, in a 12 team league:

QB: Trent Green (Fiedler on bench, Kitna on bye)
RB: Ahman Green, Anthony Thomas (Edge on bench w/ injury)
WR: Donald Driver, Ike Hilliard, undecided 3rd WR
TE: Dallas Clark (Dilger on bench)
K: Janikowski

For my last receiver slot, I have a choice of Jerry Rice (vs. Cleveland) or Tai Streets (vs. Seattle). Right now I have Rice in, but do not feel good about it, since he's only had one decent game this year. I also have McCariens, but am not really considering him. Any opinions?

I'm not falling for the "Jay Fiedler is a solid start vs. a weak pass defense" two weeks in a row. I started him last week vs. the Giants, and Green outscored him by 11 points. Fortunately, I still beat my formerly undefeated opponent and snuck into first place at 4-1.

Bill Mc

Grip
I also have The Edge in two of my fantasy teams. Kinda sucks about the back injury. Hopefully he will be ready to go after the Indy bye week. I think that Tai Streets is a good start against Seattle. It just seems that the Raiders offense is not clicking on all cylinders to start Rice.

Bill

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
In one league here's how my team fills out:

QB: MBulger, KCollins, (Vick)
WR: TOwens, EMoulds, LColes, AToomer, ABoldin, MBooker
RB: RWilliams, JLewis, SDavis, CGarner
TE: RMcMichael
K:: JWilkins
DE: Tampa Bay

I had Maddox up until last week. That last straw almost lost me that week's matchup. It's looking like Moulds won't be able to go due to that groin strain so I'm guessing I'll go with Coles (QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, WR/RB, K, DEF) along with Owens and Toomer. I'm almost tempted to throw in Booker against the Saints. My RBs are strong and hopefully I won't have a problem with injury there (now I know something will happen).

In another league I'm in 1st as well but it's not as strong of a team. Here goes (1 qb, 3 wr, 2 rb, 1 te, 1 k, 1 def):

QB: MBulger, PRamsey
WR: HWard, KRobinson, DStallworth, IHilliard
RB: RWilliams, TBarber, GHearst, MWilliams, CDillon
TE: CFauria
K:: JElam
DEF: Carolina

I don't figure TB's D will be too pleasant so I'll go with Bulger. Ward's suffering because of Maddox's inconsistency but he's my #1 so I gotta keep him in. Stallworth or Hilliard? My RBs are strong here as well; I'd like to trade one for a good WR but it doesn't look like anyone in the league is willing to trade at all.

And of course in the HTF league, well that's a mess. I'm just playing spoiler now. :D

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Stallworth or Hilliard?
Ty Law will be covering Toomer, so Hilliard and Shockey (and Tiki) may see more passes their way. Stallworth hasn't shown that he's a reliable receiver this season, but the Bears pass defense isn't exactly scary this season either. When the matchups and the history don't clearly indicate who to start, take the guy playing at home - which is Stallworth.

Brad

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I usually don't get any assistance in the first league due to all the studs I have. Like, "Gee whiz, Coles or Toomer? Gee, I dunno, I've got so many stud players to choose from" :D Believe me, it's not nearly as good as it looks; there's only 6 teams in the league and each one of 'em is stacked up pretty good. ;)

Didn't Brooks actually look decent last week? Perhaps he's finally getting the cobwebs out of his system..not sure though. Stallworth's the #2/#3 whereas Hilliard is definitely the #2. I hate these decisions! Maybe just do as you said and flip a coin on it.

Read somewhere that Stallworth was being pushed out by Pathon..might just go with Hilliard.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Well, after 5 weeks, I'm 5-0.

I'm having trouble deciding who to start as my fifth WR.

My choices are:

Anquan Bolden
Ashley Lelie
Tim Brown.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Did anyone start Jimmy Smith last week?

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
So, what's up with Edgerrin? I got screwed last week because they listed him as probable and then decided not to play him. Now he's practicing again and they say he's gonna play but I don't want to take a 0 again. Because of bye weeks, I pretty much have to start Edge or Ricky Williams (on Indy). I hate these "game time decisions".

Dave George

Stunt Coordinator
I also have to make a decision on Edge. Unfortuantely, for me it's him or Anthony Thomas. Thomas has had good games the past two weeks, but if James is playing I'll obviously take him. Any suggestions?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Right now, I'm leaving Edge on the bench unless I hear he's definitely starting. If he's a definite start, then he will replace Rice or Streets in my lineup (whichever one I decide on). I'm leaving Anthony Thomas in my lineup regardless of the decision on Edge -- he's getting the ball, has two straight 100 yard games, and is playing against a poor New Orleans defense.

I hate "game time decisions". I have another one this week, but it's not a critical position -- DL, where NY Jet John Abraham is a game time decision whether the Jets will leave him inactive as punishment for his recent DUI arrest. This one's not worth worrying about -- I just picked someone off the waiver wire and put him in my lineup.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I also have to make a decision on Edge.
For what it's worth, there's a guy on another forum who allegedly knows somebody on the Colts staff. For the past two weeks, this guy has posted on Friday that Edge would not be playing in the upcoming game. He has been correct both times. He posted this very afternoon that Edge will not be playing this Sunday. Make what you will of that information. At the very least you should pursue another viable option at running back if any are available to you.

I have to decide whether to start William Green or Lamar Gordon in place of Edge. Both the Raiders and the Falcons have given up tons of yards on the ground this season. I'm leaning towards Green because I know he will get the carries. Gordon's injured wrist and Martz's play-calling history have me pessimistic about his fantasy production.

Brad

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have to decide whether to start William Green or Lamar Gordon in place of Edge.
I would go with Green, too, Brad. The Raiders are terrible against the run, and you never know about Gordon's wrist injury -- it could mean a fumble or two. Actually, I hope he does fumble a couple of times, since my opponent this weekend is starting Gordon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks