What's new

Excuses you will use to get out of Work to see SWII (1 Viewer)

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I'm with David.

Excuses, we don't need no stinking excuses!

Most of the developers I work with are taking that day off. Now whether or not people get itchy that half the developement staff is gone on the same day is anyone's guess. But I'll be there at the Arrowhead Fountains watching in glorious DLP. I'm so glad I moved here a year ago, since reportedly one of the 19 DLP theaters in the country is here. I hope most of the Star Wars geeks in town don't realize it too.

Reni D

Stunt Coordinator
and of course ill have to see how I get a extended lunch a week before to go to the movie theater to get tickets. I only did a one hour line in 1999 so I suspect ill get ill do the same this year.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
No one likes to see the things they love made fun of; especially in ways that indicate the person who loves those things is silly or stupid or negatively odd. Fans are people just like mundanes are people; but oddly enough I never seen fans walking around making fun of mundanes the way I see mundanes making fun of fans pretty much all the time.

How much media coverage do you see of Star Wars that doesn't belittle fans as 'weird' or 'strange' or 'obsessed'? I work media for DragonCon in Atlanta every year, and there's *NEVER* a mundane media source (television and radio station reporters are ESPECIALLY bad about this) that covers the con without devoting part of the segment to how unusual and odd (and not in a fond way either) the fans at the con are. It always irks me, like a bunch of people getting together to have a good time with shared joy is an excuse for others to gawk at the freak show or something. My mother called such behavior rude when I was little, but it's par-for-the-course when you're a fan, to be laughed at by non-fans. Guess everyone else's mothers taught it a bit differently than mine did.

I'm not mad at Ron or Vicki, but I don't think Ron meant to be mean, nor do I think Vicki was overreacting. Just that sometimes, every now and again, fans get tired of the 'standard' mundane reaction of "damn you weird people!". I know I do from time to time.

That said I'm still happy and gonna be happier come 16May. The closest digital theater to Atlanta (according to the Wired.com list I saw last week) is Florida; can't go there, so I'll have to watch it the old fashioned way. Should still rock. Hopefully in 2005 when Episode III arrives there'll be a digital theater somewhere in Georgia.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I just put in a request. I work at home as a SAHD with a side job at Dominos Pizza. I'll be taking my main work with me in the afternoon on 5/16, and hopefully some buds from side work on the evening of 5/16.
;)
Don't worry, I'm not one of those that allows my children to run the aisles at the movies....I was at LOTR one evening and my littlest was being a brat, so I promptly took him outside and let him get over it. Then we went back in, saw the final battle, and caught some cool TTT footage!!! ;)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I work for myself, so I think it'll be easy to get the day off ;)
Ricardo: Self, can I have the day off?
Self: What for?
Ricardo: AOTC premiere
Self: I'm coming with you

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ok, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why do you have to take off work? Just go see it at night.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The real question is, who is bringing their lightsabers to the performance?
Sure you turn them off when the movie starts, but what's SW w/o duels in the aisles? :)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
It opens on Friday here, I have to see it on Saturday, can’t see it on Friday, real life more important! ;)

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Mike,
... you're suggesting I wake up on the 16th and go to work, and sit there all day, then see the film in the evening?
Okay, that's the bad place, and we're not going there. Strong am I, but not that strong.
:)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
My most abject and humble apologies to Ron and all
Thank you Vickie:) Very much appricaited. Hey, I learned I'd better cover my butt with a smilie next time.
David sumed things up pretty well. We all get laughed at for out fanaticisms. I get laughed at all the time by my friends for my love of Moulin Rouge. But hey, that's OK, I can handle it, no really I can, honestly:)
Yoda Out~:D

Guy_K

Second Unit
I'm not a big star wars fan, so I won't watch this until saturday in the early afternoon at least. Hopefully N'Sync won't have too big a part in the film.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I don't need an excuse. I just signed up for a full day of vacation on the 16th, and another half-day ont he 15th (just in case they do midnight showings). It's a no-questions asked scenario.
God, I love having lots of vacation time! :D

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
I already have the time booked. I have been working a string of 50+ hour weeks, and I told my boss he is paying for the tickets, the popcorn, and the drink. :D
Of course I said that with Monster.com up on the web browser... :)
Of course, this is the same company that signed off on a mod to my employment contract... Tickets to see Springsteen each time he toured and stopped in DC, Philly, and Jersey. He is just hoping that this contract is wrapped up before tickets for the next tour go on sale...
Now, to get tickets for the Uptown in DC.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
... you're suggesting I wake up on the 16th and go to work, and sit there all day, then see the film in the evening?
Check out this SW blasphemy: I'll probably end up waiting two or three weeks before I go see it.

I'm just allergic going to movies the first day they're out. The crowds, the lines *shudder*

I have my own silly "fanatic" interests, mainly involving music, but let's be real: you guys can't honestly not understand how people make fun of SE fanatics if they take off work and give up some vacation time to see a movie they could just as easily see later that night without sacrificing any time off- just to see it a few hours early. Yes, of course it's your right, but it just doesn't make sense rationally.

And that's what gets made fun of.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I will just say "Dad, I am going to go see Star Wars and will be back in a few hours.", unless we are too busy for me to leave.

I look at it like this, if I don't see SW(or even Spiderman) at one of the first showings than I probably will not see it for a month. At night SW will be a zoo, man that theater will be out of control.

Will the 11:00am showings be much diffrent to those who might know?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
but it just doesn't make sense rationally.
Neither does spending $100 to see the same film 10 times, but I wouldn't criticize anyone for doing it. I did once, but then I realized it was no different than someone criticizing me for my love of Star Wars. And understanding why they make fun doesn't make it right.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'll be getting someone to cover me when I go to the Midnight showing and since I usually only work nights i'll probably go a couple of times on Thursday as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks