What's new

Enough already Fox. Are we EVER going to see WKRP released? (1 Viewer)

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I would love to know why Fox couldn't get a single song for WKRP's release, yet Universal was able to clear ALL of the songs for ALL of the Miami Vice seasons, WITHOUT jacking up the price.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Different songs, different studio, different show. Unlike Fox and 'KRP, Universal actually produced Miami Vice so they know that the music is a huge part of the show.

Maybe some of the publishers or artists were offended with the way the songs were used (i.e. Johnny Fever calling Olivia Newton-John "Olivia Neutron Bomb", or was that an overdub to cover up a lapsed license?).

Keep in mind that the whole music industry is built on theft, plagiarism, and cheating.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Not to add more to the flames here. I just saw the episode where Johnny is left a baby at the station's front door.

Every song and every bit of dialogue that is baby song themed or related is cut and or replaced. They even cut when Les and Mr. Carlsen say a few lyrics from baby themed songs. They tried to replace them with similar baby themed generic music, but the overall integrety of that show suffers the most from this.

Teach Your Children Well, Return to Sender, Your Smiling Face, and the song that gets stuck; Hold On, all replaced. I think Bob Marley is saved.

It's a pity. Of the shows I've seen in the set, and I am watching in order, this one is the worst. Of course after; The Contest That Nobody Could Win.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

As much as this probably will doom any future releases of ``WKRP'' (at least the way we really want the show on DVD), these posts continually reinforce why I just won't ever buy this set inasmuch as the music substitution really wouldn't make a difference to me since I don't remember 99 percent of the songs from the show (my hearing is and pretty much always has been kaput ergo so I'm not a real music buff), but it's the principle at stake here. Fox should be punished for putting out dreck, and yet, we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. If we hold out for an intact set, we may be forced to pay $5K (I realize I exaggerate, or perhaps I may be understating the potential price if all the music is licensed) for a single season, or poor sales of this feeble excuse of a season set may forever imperil any future releases. *Sigh*

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
It's like this thread never existed. It's not going to happen folks. It's simply cost prohibitive to get the music. Be insulted if you want, but if my choice is never having it - and rarely seeing it on TV for that matter - and having this - I'll take this as I did and still enjoy them as flawed as they may be.

Why did and do people tape shows from TV despite the garbage on the screen, commercials, disrupted credits and other annoying things (including cut episodes)? So they can watch the shows in some fashion as opposed to not at all.

We get it - it sucks. But it's not going to change.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Hey Albert, hungry for some delicious filet mignon? Well, I've got some spam I'll sell you. Hey, it's better than nothing, right? :)

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

FIANLLY!
Someone who get's my point.
The episodes I taped on TV many years ago were all butchered up anyway. So to me, spending the $30 on this set is worth it, if anything then to have the episodes cleaned up at bit. I think it cost me more than $30 in the '80's just to buy blank VHS tapes top put WKRP on. And now they are barely watchable.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'm sure there are plenty of people who get your point.

but a place like HTF isnt going to be as agreeing to this point.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I get both sides of this. But what I don't understand is why so many people demand the studio absorb whatever cost it takes to release the DVDs in their original broadcast state, but tolerate the broadcasters continuing to butcher the episodes to fit in more commercials, which clearly is NOT their original broadcast state. The consesus seems to be, "Well, they have to do that for economic reasons," so it's accepted. But that's riduculous. That's the same argument they reject from the studios. Why demand "no alterations no matter what the cost" of the studio, but tolerate it of the broadcaster? They begrudge one their extra profit, but allow the other one the exact same profit by altering the original episodes. AND more people will see the altered episodes in one airing on a broadcast than will ever buy all the DVDs put together. Doesn't that make it MORE incumbent on the broadcasters to reflect the episode makers' original work?

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

If you are trying to make an analogy, one that is logical might be attempted as the one above makes no sense on many levels.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Actually Albert, it makes much sense on many levels.

What's so hard to understand about the analogy? Cutting out significant scenes, and replacing original music with crappy replacements, is like taking a filet mignon and replacing it with a piece of spam. Pretty simple and logical.

You may think your spam tastes as good as the filet mignon, and is better than nothing, but that doesn't make it so, nor does it invalidate the analogy.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I think what needs to happen is that;

1. This topic needs to be closed,
2. HTF owners should direct the execs at FOX to read this topic from beginning to end,
3. Fox needs to participate in this topic and get with fans on how they should handle the future releases since they aren't likely to repress the first season with corrected disks ...

The reason I say closed is that messages seem to convey the same message over and over again and the topic isn't going anyway constructively.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
About the analogy, filet mignon and hamburger would be a better comparison. They both come from the same material, but are made differently.

It would be like if HTF was a food site. Filet Mignons would be the expectation. But, if someone starts to talk about the hamburgers at McDonalds, even though millions eat them every day, you can expect it to not be well received here.

I'll second that.

It keeps going around in circles. We know why those who refuse to buy it feel that way. We know why Fox cut it the way they did. Nothing anyone says here is going to change that.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I agree that this thread is played out. But even if FOX execs were to read this what difference would it make ? Studios do not care about "fanatics" who know a show inside out. They only care about selling to Billy Bob Lawnmower who won't notice if it's a faulty product.

Trying to make us happy is simply too difficult and too costly.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

You're probably right that nothing anyone says here will change Fox's actions for now or the future.

However, what was said here DID change my decision (& probably many others too).

I had pre-ordered the set, but when I learned about this, I cancelled my purchase before it shipped.

While the "circle" may continue, the thing will be for sale for a long, long time.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
No it’s simply a bad analogy. It’s not logical. One can purchase whatever meat they choose. However, reagarding WKRP, the criteria that makes the music cost prohibitive to consumers has no “meat” correlation. Additionally stating that I think that they “taste” the same in this bad analogy, is incorrect. I have made it abundantly clear regarding the differences and my desire for the original episodes. I, however, can see the reality that original episode sets is a fantasy.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'll stay out of this disagreement.:)

I did want to add this, while I posted earlier reactions to the discs due to the music changes as I have been watching them, one thing I have not said. The last two shows I saw, "Who is Gordon Sims", and "I do....I do", still retain a power and energy to them that goes beyond the music issue.

Getting right down to the heart of the show, the acting performances in Gordon Sims is as powerful as it was originally. And the comedy and heartfelt story of "I do... I do" still ring true. The later half of the first season is as strong as it was new. Good bye Johnny, Johnny Comes Back, Never Leave Me Lucille, I want to Keep My Baby, A Commercial Break (Ferryman!) and the above two shows are really good episodes and the actors are gelling and working well together to make this show what I remember as so great as I saw them in 1979. I look forward to the next 3 shows as the season concludes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks