Enough already Fox. Are we EVER going to see WKRP released?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dan*T, Oct 22, 2006.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    If they still exist, they are likely on 1" or even 3/4" tape.

2. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

All the WKRP bootlegs being sold are apparently from those syndicated reruns, with most of the music but 3 minutes cut from each episode. They were taped off TV, not taken from masters, though.

The older syndication version is no longer distributed; any station that wants to run the show gets the '90s package.

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well I don't know how long it's going to take, but I do have hope that someday, things will change around (laws, budgets, etc.) and that this will be released correctly. Until that day, I pray it sells as poorly as possible, because if they think they can make the profit they need by selling the crappy syndicated versions, then we'll NEVER get the real show.

4. Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz Stunt Coordinator

Matt Kozlowski

Are you sure? The American Life episodes appear much more "complete" although time compressed.

5. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    The complete and uncut versions were shown overseas in the late 80s, friend of mine taped them.

6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I hope the music/home video laws change too. It makes me sick that such a great show is in limbo because of the stupid music rights issue. Maybe Fox will release a UK, or German dvd some day(with all the great music included). Probably wasn't very popular in other countries though. This show is about as American as apple pie.

[​IMG]

7. Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight Second Unit

Stephen
    And it makes me sick that the UK and Germany have a better chance of getting an intact WKRP than we do.Are the laws that different over there?

8. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    the problem isn't just about laws. It's also about music rights holders who charge WAY too much for the use of their songs. That also has to change. But it probably won't.

9. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

The problem is that these studios think that they should be able to release these shows with the original music intact while, at the same, paying very little for the music rights.

There's also the problem that these studios misinform the public regarding these music rights and this ends up alienating fans of these television shows against the music artists and the rights' holders of that music.

If you want someone to blame, blame the original producers of these television shows that used so much music in the shows in the first place.

Everyone keeps forgetting that these music artists and the rights holders deserve to be fairly compensated for their work. Until these television studios agree on a compensation arrangement with the music industry, this will never change.

10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    Yes, but just what is "fair" compensation? I fully believe an artist *should* be compensated for their work. It's why I *purchase* music instead of just dl/ripping/etc. a CD in spite of the fact that *most* artists make their money from touring with the CD typically a loss leader/promotional item in their pocketbook. But often you'll see a multi-millionaire artist charging exhorbitant rates for one of "their" songs because they are "the greatest ever" in their eyes. Frequently it's the "back office" who is doing the negotiating and they are "looking out for the boys" (i.e. we've got to protect our phony balony jobs gentlemen). If "artists" would look at the inclusion of their work as a promotional effort (like the CD) and charge accordingly it could make everyone happy... the studio (less up front monies), the artist (could get a modest regular residual based on airings/sales, you know... like radio), and the consumer (gets the complete, original product without bastardization by greedy corporate "suits"). Of course, as you indicate, the studios also have to come to agreement and not expect to pay a pittance for licensing while charging a kings' ransom.

The long and short of it is that I blame them all.