Enough already Fox. Are we EVER going to see WKRP released?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dan*T, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa

Are they on Flippers too adding insult to injury.

2. Tony S

Tony S Stunt Coordinator

www.DeepDiscount.com is running their semi-annual 20% off sale on all dvd's (excluding pre-orders). I just picked up WKRP Season 1 for $20.71 with free shipping. Just enter the code: DVDTALK at checkout.

3. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff

Ah, but just imagine you could have used that $20 on a 1/4-tank of gas [​IMG]

And Dave, the discs are miraculously single-sided. My guess is Fox is probably using a defective batch of flippers that only have 1 side [​IMG]

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

So Joe, if you really, really wanted A Hard Day's Night, and it wasn't available at all, except in a version in which all of the Beatles dialogue and music was dubbed by the women on The View, you'd buy it cause at least you'd have something that way?

5. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff

(SHUDDER)...didn't expect to see my dinner again so soon.

6. TVFan

TVFan Agent

Good New Good News American Life Will Be Airing This Shom In July And They Do Not Edit Their Shows So It Might Be A Good Chance WE Will See The Music Back Where They Belong Again. I Am Going To Get My DVD-R Ready Just In Case It Aires The Music Better Than Nick@Nite A Few Years Back.

7. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff

Thank You Very Much For The Update!

8. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I highly doubt there will be any difference. They lost the music rights for broadcast as well. Funny, they could have always renegotiated for broadcast and included video in the deal.

9. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

So much of the show is intact. Yes it is horrible they the episodes were cut at all, but I am still thoroughly enjoying watching these episodes. I realize that some people have impossible expectations... and it's unfortunate because again, there is enjoyment to be had here of a classic and for a cheap price.

10. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Although does anyone even have American Life? That is the Rev. Sung Myung Moon owned channel, isn't it? It used to be the Nostalgia Channel? I remember once seeing a cable system in Florida that carried it (back before it changed names) but haven't seen it since. They supposedly have a lot of good reruns on it.

And I would think it would be the same syndicated cuts.

11. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    My local cable company carries American Life. Contrary to what a poster said above, they do air syndicated cuts of their series.

Currently they run a lot of Warner programming (Maverick, Kung FU, Sunset Strip, Man from UNCLE, FBI, etc.). They recently made a deal with Fox to air some of their shows. So, we'll be seeing WKRP, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, etc. soon.

12. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    It would be very unusual for any network, especially a small one, to air full-length episodes. They air what's made available to them. In the case of WKRP, at least we will not be paying for the edited eps and can instead see them for free.

Hopefully AmericanLife TV will soon be added to DirecTV as they seem to be adding more and more new channels. But I'm not holding my breath.

13. TVFan

TVFan Agent

DID Nick@NITE Aired This Show with alot of the music because I know some songs were edited out. Do You think they took more songs out since then?

14. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

I read an interview with their programming VP and he said the shows will be uncut because he hates edited programming as much as viewers do.

15. TVFan

TVFan Agent

so do you think it a good chance we see more of the music if it is unedited or the same as nick@nite airings.?

16. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

They're getting this from Fox (along with other MTM productions) so I suspect it'll be the same package Fox sent out to Nick at Nite, the Comedy Network etc. -- with music changes. Fox may not even have the original music versions, and they're certainly not interested in clearing the music for broadcast.

However, if it is the N@N/Comedy Network version, it will include some music and dialogue that was cut on the DVDs like the Pink Floyd sequence and Jennifer's doorbell.

17. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Thanks for the update. That would be a change in policy for them and a welcome one. The flipside is that the episodes will likely be timesped. They gotta run those commercials! Do you have a link to this interview?

I still have a sneaky suspicion that shows like WKRP will still be syndicated cuts. In this day of DVD recorders and digital cable/satellite it is not likely Fox is going to provide full length masters for broadcast that will be more appealing than the DVDs on the marketplace.

18. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

Yes.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/

Scroll down to Wednesday's blog. I can't say for sure that he was speaking of WKRP; just of the sitcoms they run in general. Having never seen Am Life TV, however, I don't know if he was telling the truth.

19. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to. Impossible expectations vs. amazingly low standards.

20. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Why would I want to order it from DDDVD? WKRP sucks and so does Fox with the release of this series ...