What's new

Energy RC-70's and Marantz SR7005 (1 Viewer)

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
Can anyone tell me if they have this setup? Currently running a Denon 988 and the sound is awefully bright. I have the manual EQ almost completely bottomed out and it is still bright. When I turn the EQ off it sounds like it's playing through a drink can. HORRIBLE! The energies have only been hooked up a couple of weeks so a break in period is in question. I think I have bigger problems because I had polk monitor 70's and they sounded terribly bright also. Im thinking there may be something wrong with the denon?? HELP PLEASE!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Do you have anything else that has a volume control that you can use in place of the Denon?
Not ideal, but your Ipod or computer headphone output can be ran straight to the amp...then use the volume control there.
That would determine if it really is the Denon.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
I AM ALSO RUNNING A DENON DCM-270 CD PLAYER VIA ANALOG INPUT BUT IT STILL SOUNDS THE SAME. WHEN IT IS PLAYING AT LOW VOLUME IT IS NOT AS BAD. I JUST FIGURED SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH THE AMP SECTION OF THE DENON.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
I HAVE THE NAD T955 HOOKED UP BUT IT KEEPS THROWING MY BREAKER AND NOW I AM GOING TO HAVE SOME WIRING DONE. I COULDNT LISTEN TO IT LONG ENOUGH TO TELL MUCH. I AM JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF ITS MY DENON OR THE ENERGIES. I CAN STILL RETURN THE ENERGIES IF THEY DONT WORK OUT.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
I AM JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT'S GOING ON SO I CAN TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM. WHETHER IT BE THE DENON OR THE ENERGIES.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How much stuff, at once, are you plugging into this circuit?
That NAD(if I see the pic correctly) pulls 6.6 by itself. The Denon, I'm going to guess, pulls somewhere along 5. That is already close to 80% of a circuit.
Try plugging in just the NAD, the Denon and "some source"...
The Denon, as a pre-amp, should only be chewing on at most an amp.
The entire problem could be the wiring you have to have done. If you are only getting 10amp...there is the whole problem.
Essentially the RC70(and this is dependent on whether you are trying to go deaf) can make an amp/receiver, easily reach "full bore".

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
YES I HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY CONFUSED. BEFORE I BOUGHT THE ENERGIES I DID MY HOMEWORK ON LOTS OF SPEAKERS. THE ENERGIES WERE THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK FOR 399 EACH AT VANNS. I READ SOME MANY REVIEWS WERE THEY WERE NEUTRAL TO SLIGHTLY WARM SOUNDING. YET I HAVE THIS PROBLEM. UGH!

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP SAM I HAVE BEEN REALLY FRUSTRATED. SOUNDS LIKE YOU KNOW ALOT ABOUT ALL OF THIS. I THINK I NEED TO HAVE AN ELECTRICIAN FIX MY WIRING ISSUES AND GO FROM THERE. I AM ALSO WONDERING IF THE POWER ISSUE HAS DAMAGED MY DENON? I HOPE NOT. IF SO I WILL JUST GO FOR THE MARANTZ SR7005 WHICH IS SUPPOSE TO BE BETTER FOR MUSIC ANYWAY. HOOKING UP A POWER AMP ONLY CHANGES THE SONIC CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SOUND. SO IF THE DENON IS SLIGHTLY BRIGHT THEN THAT WONT CHANGE. OF COURSE IF THE ENERGIES ARE WANTING MORE POWER THEN THAT COULD BE COMPRIMISING THINGS AS WELL.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Most reviews I keep reading say these things need 100hrs of break-in.
Has it been 100hrs yet?
No speaker will sound very good in the first 20 hours. By 50 you'll notice an improvement.
Let these play on a constant loop with Itunes or a cd for 3 days straight.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
I have the Nadt955 but thinking about selling and purchasing 2 Nad 275bee's. That would be 150 watts into 4 channels versus only 100 into 5 with the T955. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks