What's new

drywall vs ceiling tile (1 Viewer)

William A

Auditioning
I would appreciate thoughts on using drywall or suspended ceiling tile on a basement HT project. I thinking ceiling tile will allow access to utilities, easy of running future wires, and the potential to install fiber optics. I do plan on a 8" riser for the second row of seats and believe the ceiling must be 4" down from the ceiling joist.
The ceiling height is 9' 2" from concrete to ceiling joist, with one beam across the room at a height of 8'.

My main concerns are what is the acoustic difference between the two, and will there be any visual obstruction for the second row of seats?

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I don't plan on doing conventional suspended ceiling in my Home Theater... mainly because I'm worried about the tiles vibrating.

However you can get tiled ceilings where the tiles screw into place. I'm either going that route or Drywall.

Patrick Webb

Auditioning
Brian,

I am interested to see more info on the ceiling tiles that can be screwed. Do you have any links?

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I've heard of some people filling up small sandwich bags with sand and placing them on top of their ceiling tiles to stop vibration.

I put in drywall.

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
Armstrong has acoustical ceiling panels that have fiberglass insulation on the back. They are more soundproof than regular tiles, and I can't imaging they would vibrate given the material (flexible with fiberglass backing).

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator
I've been trying to decide between ceiling tiles or drywall. I can go either way, but what provides the best acoustical properties for a home theater? Some have said that ceiling tiles will absorb too much of the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks