What's new

Deep Space Nine announcement & Box Art from StarTrek.com! (1 Viewer)

I certainly don't like the commercials and the bar at the bottom... but not necessarily enough to drop $700 on the set. But then, that's probably partly my priorities also. As much as I liked TNG, I don't see myself getting nearly as much enjoyment out of the full set as I would out of $700 of other DVDs/sets (Farscape, Cowboy Bebop, even DS9). But the fact that the show is still on the air in some fashion (crappy as it may be) certainly drops TNG down my priority list. /shrug

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,
My 2 cents. Please take this as ideas and suggestions rather than any criticism on your current work in progress.
While I agree DS9 is about Bajor in the beginning, it's not about it enough to deserve such prominence. Maybe a smaller version of the emblem on the back cover.
I would rather not have any planetary pictures or any pictures from an episode.
Can you find a better angle picture of the station. That one does not show there are three pylons.
I don't care if there are noggins or not on the covers, but if there were I would like prefer group shots of the cast on the front with the main season supporting characters on the back.
I absolutely love Ric's continuing spine shot on the TNG series with the season number on the logo. It would be great to continue that with the wormhole, station and Defiant (with the ship on the last few spines since it was not in the first few seasons).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That's what I was thinking, but I didn't think of comping in the Defiant. I'll see what I can do. I fully plan to continue Rick's spine style that way it matches

As far as the shots go, I'm working from blueprints here and there's not much of a choice but I'll try

EDIT: Do people mind a horizontal logo on the spine? The image I'm using for the Spinescene does not have a log of headroom due to how tall the station is

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Looks like you have a nice start Jeff. I just tried to send you some DS9 pix I have been collecting... but the zip file was over 6 megs and it got returned.

Ric

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I have about a 10.8 MB zip file of DSP pics for you, Jeff. I still have the e-mail address we exchanged a year ago, when we talked about the Twin Peaks pilot DVD. I could send it to you (assuming you still use that address), but if Ric's 6 MB file is no-go, then I'm sure my twice-as-big file is not gonna fly, either! :)
The pic sizes are rather large; I *could* reduce them to a smaller size and see how big the compressed file is then?
There's one of the station, one of the Defiant, and the rest are the group shots I mentioned. The group shots are all publicity shots from when the show first took off. If you REALLY don't want 'em, just say so, and I'll just send you the other two. Here's one of the group shots, though, just so you'll know what you're missing:

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I’m a Star Trek “TV” virgin. I’m discovering the TNG episodes for the first time right now on DVD and I’m quite enjoying them. I’m currently on season 5.

My question is, how is DS9 really and compared to TNG? Is it good enough that I get them? I already know that I should stay away from the “Voyager!“ but don’t know much about DS9! I hear quite encouraging things about DS9. Are they true?!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Ric I PMd you my AOL IM ID, since Dave has it disabled no help there :) We can exchange over there, or maybe arrange IRC
Perhaps maybe someone can use the cast shots on the insert?

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Sam,
In my opinion, DS9 is well worth your time. It is much more character driven then TNG, and has frequent political plot-lines.

The characters are extremely well written, and have more dimension than the TNG characters... and many times more dimension than Voyager or Enterprise characters.

As others have mentioned, the series really picks up steam after the first couple of years, and the continuing Dominion War story arc in the last three seasons is tremendous (some of the best scifi TV I've seen).

I'm looking forward to this set more than TNG, myself. Others may (and will) disagree...

-Scott

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Sam,

As much as I love TNG, I think DS9 turned out to be the better show... especially it's last few seasons... It was much darker and had that sweeping war arc. TNG was a journey outward while DS9 was an inner journey. The characters grew and changed over the years. The characters of the Next Generation were all pretty much in the same place when there 7 year trip was over. That's not to say there wasn't a little growth, just not as much as DS9.

However nothing can match Patrick Stewarts acting and some of the TNG shows are the best ST you will ever see... ie: The Inner Light, The Best of Both Worlds.

Jeff,

I don't have AOL IM or an ICQ these days. That's probably why I had to send you a CD several months ago! Any chance you can get a bigger email account?

David,

Any chance you can email me those pix? I would love to have them in case I get in a tinkering mood.

Ric

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Ric, I've PMd you upload instructions for my friend's FTP. BTW: Would you mind making the spine numbers? I don't have the appropriate plugin I don't think, and what font and settings did you use for the credits?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeff & Ric, use the "Mail Me" link in my signature! Missed it, did ya?

Running out for a few hours, I'll be back!!!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Sam,

I'd say DS9's the best Trek has ever been, without reservations - it splits into several very distinct periods, but all have their charms. Between its regulars and recurring characters, it's also got the largest cast of any Trek show, and none of them are filler ("Hi! I'm Travis Mayweather, and I exist so that there's a black person in the cast!" "Hi, I'm Harry Kim, and I exist..."). Ira Behr took great pride in none of the characters being easily summed up in one sentence, and DS9 also was one of the few sci-fi shows to really hit the balance between macro- and micro-story so perfectly.

Blu

Screenwriter
Ok maybe I'm in the minority here but I like the look of the cases. I think it shows the technical feel of DS9, the TNG cases were more "homey".
What I meant to say is that DS9 isn't as elegant of a show as TNG is. It is more of a gritty show that went where the ST universe hadn't gone before. TNG was flashy and continued the exploration theme in ST. DS9 simply wasn't like that. I think the packaging reflects that. It isn't flashy, it is gritty and simple. I like it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Gritty and simple is good

The colors are horrific, and so is the unneeded logo replacement by something anyone can piece together in 5min in Photoshop

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks