What's new

Deadwood: Cancelled (?) (1 Viewer)

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Here is another interesting post from the HBO forums by W. Earl Brown.

It has nothing to do with pregnancies. It has nothing to do with conservative watchdogs.

It has everything to do with money.

Chris Albrecht, HBO CEO, is in danger of losing his job. The network is bleeding red ink. His production side lost a ton of money. They sunk 120-million into ROME. They are committed contractually to another season, plus they have 120 invested already.

On DEADWOOD, they did not get foreign rights. Paramount had a deal with Milch to work for them. In exchange for them releasing him to HBO, they got foreign rights to our show. So for three years, HBO has not seen that money from around the world.

While we are the second biggest show on HBO, we are the 2nd most expensive to make (half of what ROME costs, mind you). Chris has shareholders to answer to and is panicked to cut the bottom line. Never mind the fact, that in 2004 he posted a 1-Billion dollar profit (the most for ANY network. Ever.) You might've won the Super Bowl last year, but if you go 0-16 this season, you're looking for another coaching job.

We had been given word of season four. They trumpeted the announcment of the season to the press in March. Chris, obviously having not been raised the way I was where a man's word is his bond, reneged on us. He offered Milch the opportunity to wrap up the series with either a 2 hour movie or an order of six episodes. David refused, feeling that to conclude with anything short of a full season (which we'd already been given word of) would demean all the work we'd done prior. I agree.

The shitty part of this is David's Paramount deal is over this year. Starting with season four, HBO would own the show outright. All world monies would be theirs. BUT... that doesn't help Chris with the shareholders today. He is cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Write HBO. Call HBO. Email HBO. It amounts to the bottom line. If the are overun by subscibers and the threatened cancellations are enough of an issue to seriously cut into their cash flow, they might change track.

Bottom line matters. CARNIVALE only had a weekly viewership of 2-3 million. SOPRANOS, on the opposite end, has 10-12. DEADWOOD drew 5-6. ROME has a comparable draw, although their viewership dwindled as the show went on. However (this is solely my opinion having constantly encountered fans on the street, in airports, etc. who are only now getting into the show via dvd of season 1) DEADWOOD is (was) still ascending.

We've been cut off at the knees.

Read this. Memorize this. I'm afraid some Monitor from Big Brother will soon delete it and I will never work for HBO again... at least while Albrecht is at the helm.

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
This really, really sucks. They should've given them one more season to finish things up....

:frowning:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
While I am upset about HBO's decision. I think Milch, for the fans, should at least take HBO's offer of 6 episodes. Especially since the show may end of some kind of cliffhanger. And I am sure 6 episodes is at least long enough to close some story gaps.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't disagree more. If he thinks he should have 12 episodes then he shouldn't just cut in half just to hurry to an ending. I'd rather see nothing than something compromised just so fans could have an ending.

I kinda doubt that there will be a big cliffhanger. Deadwood doesn't seem like a cliffhanger show. I'm sure there will be some unresolved elements and thread set up for next season but I doubt it'll be a life and death type of cliffhanger that never gets resolved like Twin Peaks (or even Carnivale).

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. I don't see how trying to close things off in six episodes could possibly be worse than just leaving it hanging after S3. I'd bet most creators of shows cancelled so abruptly would give their right leg for such an opportunity.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Why can't he take the 6 episodes, and *not* wrap things up, lol. Half of season 4 is better than none.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I'm okay with just one more season of Deadwood. It's a great show (especially the first season), but I didn't like the direction it went in season 2. Of course if season 3 is as good as season 1 was, my opinion might change.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Heres a automated response letter I got back from HBO when I wrote a letter about Deadwood being cancelled. BTW this is the first time Ive ever written a letter to a company, any company to complain about something....

"Thank you for writing HBO.

Despite recent articles on the future of our HBO Original series
"DEADWOOD", there has been no decision for the future of the series, and
conversations regarding a fourth season are ongoing. Since "DEADWOOD"
creator David Milch is working on another HBO Original series, we've
granted our beloved Deadwood cast the latitude to pursue other projects,
for the time being.

We appreciate your interest and hope that you will continue to find HBO
to be a source of quality entertainment."

Mary M S

Screenwriter
all of them strictly rational and businesslike, and not involving any emotion at all. Much less a desire to "screw" anybody. Deadwood isn't a person. Neither is HBO. Anthropromorphizing them does [not?] bring any clarity to the discussion.

"This isn't personal. This is strictly business."

oh but it is, (personal) for the viewership.
A premium subscription service, network, studio is banking on capturing viewers via their emotions, although I’m sure they also factor those they will upset equally dispassionately as part of a numbers game...but they should never be surprised by any virulence it creates when they cut the ‘connection’.

I can think of only two things, which I have followed on HBO: DEADWOOD and AIA, so I will be dropping HBO after it drops DEADWOOD.

They might be making a mistake on the #’s on this one. A western is hard to sell yet it felt like around the ‘water cooler’ it had just started to blink on the horizon in a sea of flotsam.

On the other hand, I personally know many who would never be able to watch it due to its language and violence, with children in residence, even past bedtime you don’t want those words flying around the house. And again ...it is a western. It did feel recognition or at least ‘talk’ (which leads to numbers) was headed up, and I thought it might slowly start garnering numbers from the Soprano’s type/like crowd.

I have always been ashamed that I loved Deadwood, So I guess I can thank HBO for settling my moral dilemma. My Husband been asking when does the season start. (hate to pass on this tidbit).

I feel like Calamity Jane:
I woke up on the ground in a f@*.... graveyard pondering: dusk or dawn?

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
Welp if this happens I just don't think I can justify HBO for Entourage alone. ROME was good as well but it looks like it will only survive one more season as well so after DW: S3 and ROME: S2 I guess it's good bye to HBO for a little while. I'll catch Entourage on DVD.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Personally, I hate that Deadwood may be cancelled, but the fact remains that HBO has the best shows. IMHO, their shows are far better than anything on network TV. So Deadwood's fate has no bearing on my HBO subscription. I'm sure another good show will be developed. And I also like most all of their documentaries and other one off shows.

BarbaraEH

Auditioning
Why did HBO end "Deadwood" before Milch was finished telling his story? Why are they dissing millions of rabid, adoring fans (like me)?

We fans of the show are beginning to organize in an attempt to force HBO to honor its commitments -- to us, to its programs, and to its long-held mission. We now have a website and are preparing an open letter to be published in "Variety."

But there's something else happening here. Many Americans have become fed up with the rapacious corporate greed that puts profits before customers in every area of our lives, even in the area of accessible art that gives life some of its finest moments and makes the rest of the day-to-day drek more bearable.

We have lost some of our sense that we can make a difference any more as citizens, but we still may have some power as consumers. And maybe a successful effort as a consortium of consumers will breed in us the confidence to take something back of our citizenship. In any event, I, too, will be among the thousands cancelling HBO after Season Three of "Deadwood" if there is no conclusion to Mr. Milch's masterpiece.

Help let "Deadwood" live ... for just as long as it takes its artist/creator to tell his story. Please visit the website at www.savedeadwood.net . It's important to our particular cause, and maybe even to a very much larger one as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks