What's new

Criterion Special to start at Barnes and Noble (1 Viewer)

David Glen

Agent
Real Name
David Glen
Originally Posted by JohnTRU

Picked up these;

Seven Samurai
Sword of Doom
Yojimbo/Sanjuro 2-pack (used a coupon to get and extra 10% off this title)
The Third Man
The Last Emperor (4-disc version)

Very happy. Was going to get Seventh Seal blu-ray, but I don't want to get it and find out my player can't handle Region A discs. That's an expensive mistake if made.
Those are some of my favorite films :)

I picked up the Eclipse Postwar Kurosawa box for $34 shipped..

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
It's baaaaaaaaaack!

Barnes & Noble is having another 50% sale on all Criterion DVDs and Blu-rays during 10-23 November, both in stores and online.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
So I have some idiosyncrasies in the way I write out dates.

I just realized that this sale will most likely be running concurrently with Deep Discount's next sale.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The sad part is...I honestly had no idea what it meant, even though I figured others must have since he got two responses before mine--and they didn't ask.

Now that it's been explained to me...I don't know how I couldn't have figured it out.

Again...thanks, Tim (and David)!

BrianP

Supporting Actor
It has already started online a day early. However the best deals are in store with the printable $5 coupons for members. You can walk out with $40 list titles for only $13 plus tax.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by BrianP

It has already started online a day early. However the best deals are in store with the printable $5 coupons for members. You can walk out with $40 list titles for only $13 plus tax.
Cool! But what "printable $5 coupons" are you refering to? I was not aware of such.

Thanks.

_Man_

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
These store coupons (which expire 22 Nov 2009):

www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp

There is also an online code as well (R7A3A8T) which is stackable. If you order $50 or more, and one of the items is a DVD over $20, and one is a CD over $10, you'll get $15 off the order.

Of course, you need to be a B&N member to use them.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just picked up the Howards End BD today for $13.50+tax at a local B&N -- used 10% members discount + 25% members-only in-store coupon.

Would've gone for The Seventh Seal or The Third Man, if they had any of those at the store -- and that particular coupon was only good for in-store purchase this weekend only.

I'll probably still order The Seventh Seal online w/ some other coupon though -- maybe also Wings of Desire after I finally get around to watching the old DVD. The Third Man is OOP now, so that's probably not an option.

Oh! And thanks much, Tim, for that B&N coupon link (and the online code)!

_Man_

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
The coupons are based on pre-discount prices so they'll work at least they did for me in my local stores.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
There is a pricing quirk between online and in-store. Online, all $39.99 Criterion are being priced at $19.99, which just disqualifies them from the code's discount. However, in-store the price is discounted to $20. Go figure.

Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong ">[/url]

BTW, here's the 25%-off in-store coupon I used (for B&N members only though). It expires tomorrow (Sunday, 11/15).

[url=http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=32132]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=32132[/url]

_Man_ [/QUOTE]THANK YOU! I took all three coupons to B&N on Sunday and left with the John Cassavetes set and [i]Pigs, Pimps & Prostitutes: 3 Films by Shohei Imamura[/i] for about $68 plus tax.

And there is a second online code available as well ([b]T8X7V7N[/b]) which expires 25 Jan 2010. And here are the associated coupons:

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I received a 25% off one item coupon on the mail that can only be used in store:
http://email.bn.com/cgi-bin6/DM/y/mcqc0UWcGl0KjW0BX2k0Fq

It says it expires on November 22nd.

I'm in a different country so whoever wants to use it go for it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Simon Howson

I'm in a different country so whoever wants to use it go for it.
Thanks. I may use it to pick up Seventh Seal BD (that I reserved online for in-store pickup).

BTW, seems like these coupons are *not* uniquely id-ed and are not tied to specific B&N members, etc. although you generally can only use them once per member account (or per purchase). So anyone should be able to use that one once.

_Man_

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the 25% off coupons. I never could get the $5 DVD off to work since most of the discs were priced at 19.99. The computer wouldn't let it scan. The 25% off worked fine (and basically teh same amount), but I had to buy each disc on a separate receipt. I'm embarrassed to say I hit up several different stores in the area so the clerks didn't really balk -- partially it was also due to a supply of discs at any particular store being in stock.

The 25 % off really came in handy buying the Monterrey Pop box which is B&N priced at $70 so it ended up around 23.62 (plus tax), but I got several others for 13.50.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Besides the Seventh Seal BD (and the early purchase of Howards End BD), I also ordered Wings of Desire and Wages of Fear on BD (just in time for the sale deadline) along w/ Stop Making Sense BD and made use of the latest coupon code that offers $5 off $20 title (for SMS) and $5 off $50 total purchase.

Since I found out that I could get B&N GCs w/ my sizeable balance of Amex Optima rewards points, I did that also for a final cost of a little over $5 (after use of a $50 GC).

Also, since the Bing cashback didn't seem to work the last time I ordered from B&N (during the last Criterion sale), I hadn't expected it to work this time though I did use their cashback portal anyway just in case. And lo and behold, it worked this time, so I'm getting 12% back on the order to boot, which should easily cover the litte-over-$5 final cost.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks