What's new

Criterion Special to start at Barnes and Noble (1 Viewer)

scribe1964

Grip
Real Name
Ric
Hello, everyone. I just wanted to announce that starting July 7th, Barnes & Noble is going to have a special on Criterion DVDs - 30% off. It's only going to be certain Criterion titles and I believe they're going to change the titles every week. probably through the end of the month. That's all the details I have at the moment.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Ric:

GREAT news, but you may want to ask one of the mods to move it to the "Bargains and Deals" section of the forum...

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Only issue is sometimes they don't get in all the releases anyhow. Onyl two stores in the MPLS twin cities area got Last Year at Marienbad on BLURAY and when Seventh Seal was released on BLU only 1 store got the BD release.

They need to order in all new releases and decide to stock more once they sale out of most titles.

Very few stores seem to stock the Criterion titles at all esp since 98% of Borders stores don't sale these types of releases any longer. Best Buy doesn't stock Criterion hardly at all except for maybe Ben. Button.

Barnes and Noble could have the brick on mortar stores cornered by making sure these titles are stocked and on time.

vanourney

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Vanourney
Oh cool so 30% of the jacked up 300% increase that Barnes and Noble charges for DVDs should mean that with the discount, I can purchase a Criterion DVD at Barnes and Noble for around $50 when I could still purchase it on Amazon for $25.

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas
Originally Posted by scribe1964

document.writeln(''); document.writeln(''); document.writeln(''); document.writeln(''); document.writeln(''); document.writeln(''); Hello, everyone. I just wanted to announce that starting July 7th, Barnes & Noble is going to have a special on Criterion DVDs - 30% off. It's only going to be certain Criterion titles and I believe they're going to change the titles every week. probably through the end of the month. That's all the details I have at the moment.

Only certain Criterion? Either way thanks for that.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Most titles are probably the fuill $40, so that would take them down to $28 and if you have a B&N card, you would get another 10%. Not as great as some other deals that appear at times online, but not many stores carry those titles and less than $28 is not too bad for one of them.

scribe1964

Grip
Real Name
Ric
I spoke to my source (who is a music manager at my local Barnes & Noble) and I have a couple of corrections. He said the sale will actually start July 14th and ALL Criterion titles will be 50% off. I'm pretty sure it's DVD only and not BluRay.

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator
B & N has already posted a link to next week's newsletter or weekly offers and it mentions the 50% off Criterion sale. But it dosn't specially state all Criterion products or titles are included.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Cool. I'll probably pick up a couple titles w/ this deal.

Thanks.

EDIT: Hmmm... They don't seem to be including a couple recent BD releases in this sale, eg. Seventh Seal.

_Man_

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
And remember, if you're a B&N member, there are some coupon codes you can use.

Members Coupons - Requires an active B&N membership to use

Members
Pre-orders are not eligible with this coupon! To save an Extra 15% ONLINE, enter coupon code H7K9W4P at checkout. The 15% discount will be applied to the highest-priced item in your cart. This coupon is valid from July 9, 2009 to July 20, 2009 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/...?r=1&PID=28899

Members
Pre-orders are not eligible with this coupon! To save an Extra 15% ONLINE, enter coupon code D7W4P7N at checkout. The 15% discount will be applied to the highest-priced item in your cart. This coupon is valid from July 9, 2009 to July 20, 2009 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time.

http://cart2.barnesandnoble.com/shop...2&promoid=6382

Members
To save an Extra 15% ONLINE, enter coupon code M9T8K7U at checkout. The 15% discount will be applied to the highest-priced item in your cart. This coupon is valid from July 1, 2009 to August 1, 2009 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time.

http://cart2.barnesandnoble.com/shop...2&promoid=6367
I ordered Magnificent Obsession, Alexander Korda's Private Lives and Postwar Kurosawa (and picked up Quincy, M.E. S1 & 2 for $10.79 from their clearance sale as well.) Even with the sales tax, these were cheaper here than during the upcoming DD sale. And with the coupon, the Kurosawa came out cheaper than the Korda.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong
Hmmm... They don't seem to be including a couple recent BD releases in this sale, eg. Seventh Seal.

_Man_
You may have better luck at a B&M location. I went to one yesterday morning and picked up both For All Mankind and The Seventh Seal for 50% off, plus used the member coupons for each. Total for both came to $33.xx after tax.

Even better: Seventh Seal wasn't in stock, so they ordered it for me in-store and will have it shipped to my house for free. Don't know if that's a usual thing, but I came away very pleased with my shopping experience.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Amazon is currently selling many Criterion BDs for 19.99, perhaps in response to the B&N deal.
Unfortunately, Seventh Seal is not among them.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I usually avoid Barnes & Noble like the plague because of their absurdly high prices, but this offer ROCKS. Yesterday I ordered HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR and CHARADE (free shipping!), and today I ordered WAGES OF FEAR and LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD (both blu-rays). $19.99 bucks each, with free shipping.

I might just go back again a few more times before the sale ends.... :D

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Some titles were added online today which weren't there yesterday, including "The Seventh Seal" (DVD and BD).

If you're a AAA member, don't forget the discount link, plus there is a 15% off code (from the most expensive item) AAASUMMER9.

http://www.aaa.com/aaa/215/discounts/retail/partner/barnes_and_noble/index.htm

I'm going to order a few more tonight, plus the DD and DVD Planet sales are live, so I will be busy shopping!

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up these;

Seven Samurai
Sword of Doom
Yojimbo/Sanjuro 2-pack (used a coupon to get and extra 10% off this title)
The Third Man
The Last Emperor (4-disc version)

Very happy. Was going to get Seventh Seal blu-ray, but I don't want to get it and find out my player can't handle Region A discs. That's an expensive mistake if made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks