What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Brian McP said:
Sad to think that both Mickey Rooney and Sid Caesar passed away within weeks of each other, but glad to know that Mickey was still in circulation until recently -- one can see pictures of him acting the goat with Bruce Willis and Don Rickles at the Vanity Fair Oscars party on March 2. That would have given him plenty of time to check out the Criterion set which hit the streets January 21 -- I'd bet he would have been very happy at what he saw and would have brought back many great memories.

Also -- both Mickey and Sid lived to their early 90s.....we should be so lucky! Making people laugh adds years to your life, so it seems.

Getting back to the movie's rating if it ever went back into theatres -- I think it would still keep it's G rating, but if it was ever converted to 3D (which would make a lot of sense and cents), it might get a PG rating for 'some scary scenes' or 'low impact violence' or 'reckless driving'.
Unlike in the early 70s when something like "Airport" with its mild language, mild violence and talk about illegitimate pregnancies still got a G rating, today I think the mild language and general nasty tone would alone give it a PG, apart from the scary scenes, reckless driving, and don't forget the smoking and drinking. It's actually hard to get a G today.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Rob_Ray said:
Unlike in the early 70s when something like "Airport" with its mild language, mild violence and talk about illegitimate pregnancies still got a G rating, today I think the mild language and general nasty tone would alone give it a PG, apart from the scary scenes, reckless driving, and don't forget the smoking and drinking. It's actually hard to get a G today.
That's because it's become ridiculously more limited in scope. Even a puff on a cigarette will do it. For instance, "The Artist" was to me clearly a G (it got the equivalent tag in some other countries), The affable tone of the movie was such that the mild bits of mayhem or whatever were hardly an issue to fret over. Even PG movies are deemed a tad too lightweight nowadays, so scads of dramas with little prompting get the ideal marketing ploy of PG13. Hey, at least we have RIO 2 with a G, definitely going against the trend!

:cool:

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to start any rumors, but it seems that this title is not in stock (anymore?) in Amazon.com? Is it quietly going OOP?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Ah, for some reason it doesn't give me the Amazon option first (only 3rd parties) and I have to go to the "buying choices" to find it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Jari K said:
Ah, for some reason it doesn't give me the Amazon option first (only 3rd parties) and I have to go to the "buying choices" to find it.
Amazon has been doing that for a few years now, giving Amazon-fulfilled 3rd party sellers the prime spot when they beat Amazon's price.

I ended up picking up a copy a Costco for only $20. It's not even a movie I particularly care for, but I just had to see the miraculous restoration for myself.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Amazon has been doing that for a few years now, giving Amazon-fulfilled 3rd party sellers the prime spot when they beat Amazon's price."Yes, this has been confusing me a few times now (probably also w Lawrence of Arabia set).

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Has anyone seen what MGM doing for it's 90th Anniversary with some of it's titles, here's Mad, kinda Criterionesque, but kinda gives away the ending too.

2014-06-06 15.14.40.jpg

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Moe Dickstein said:
It's not like it's something that's "ruined" by a revelation though.
Not at all.

What a breath of fresh air! Who in the hell made them come to their senses?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks