What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (2 Viewers)

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Bill Huelbig said:
I was 5 years old in 1960, and wasn't allowed to see the movie, and I knew about the shower scene. Everybody was talking about it.
I was ten and my mother said I'd be punished if I saw it. But I read about the film in "Famous Monsters of Filmland" magazine and wanted to see it. My mother saw it and actually got sick. I saw it and thought it was no big deal. I obviously didn't understand all the psychological aspects, but I didn't find it scary.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
zoetmb said:
I was ten and my mother said I'd be punished if I saw it. But I read about the film in "Famous Monsters of Filmland" magazine and wanted to see it. My mother saw it and actually got sick. I saw it and thought it was no big deal. I obviously didn't understand all the psychological aspects, but I didn't find it scary.
You're mother got sick seeing Jim Backus in the shower in IAMMMMW? I didn't find it that scary.

Oh, you're talking about Psycho... Never mind.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Mike Frezon said:
Speak for yourself. I'll never be the same...

:biggrin:

There's a famous story--probably apocryphal--about two little boys watching JAWS (in 1975) and one is wondering why all the adults were screaming. Replies his friend, "You know grown-ups. They can't take this kind of stuff."

Mike S.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Great story. Here's the relevant part.

"FLEMING: This one’s about the late movie superagent Marty Baum, narrated by ICM agent Jack Gilardi. “So this was at General Artists Corporation, after GAC bought Marty Baum and Abe Newborn’s company, Baum-Newborn. I was in the nightclub division, covering Vegas, and I was asked to go into the motion picture department because the kids I repped started getting hot, like Frankie Avalon and Bobby Darin. Marty Baum comes into the 8:30 meeting and says, ‘I read the greatest script last night. Who covers comedy?’ I say, ‘Me, but you could say good morning first.’ He says, ‘OK smart ass, good morning. I got a script here called It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Stanley Kramer is directing and producing and it’s one of the greatest scripts I’ve ever read.’ So Marty does one helluva job, putting Mickey Rooney, Ethel Merman, Edie Adams and Buddy Hackett and others in the picture. I’m sitting in Marty’s office one day and the phone rings. Marty, his assistant Jack Gross and me are there and it’s Stanley Kramer, who by now had cast most of the picture. Marty had one of the very first speaker phones, so we are all listening. Kramer says, ‘Marty, you did such a great job, but I got one more role open. It’s the sheriff. Can you help me?’ Marty says, ‘Ed Brophy.’ I’m thinking, who the hell is Ed Brophy? I never heard of him. Stanley says, ‘Who?’ Marty says, ‘Oh, he did this, he did that, he has done Broadway, he’s great.’ Stanley says, ‘OK, if you believe in him, let’s get him in the picture.’ Marty says, ‘Well…he’s not cheap, you know, and I’ve got to get some money for him.’ Stanley says, ‘I’ll give him 1200 a week, six weeks guaranteed. I can’t give him any more than that.’

Its_a_Mad_Mad_World1-560x368Marty hangs up and tells Jack Gross, ‘Go get me Ed Brophy on the phone.’ Jack says, ‘Who is Ed Brophy?’ Marty says, ‘Don’t worry, he’s a great actor.’ About five minutes later, Jack comes in and says, ‘Mrs. Brophy is on the phone.’ Marty says, ‘I don’t want to talk to Mrs. Brophy, I want to talk to Ed.’ ‘Well, she’s on the phone.’ Marty picks up and says, ‘Hi, Mrs. Brophy, Marty Baum here, head of Motion Pictures for General Artists Corporation. There’s a picture that Stanley Kramer is going to make, and I have great news for you. I got a major part in it for Ed Brophy.’

She says, ‘Ed is gone.’ Marty says, ‘I know. But this is going to bring him back. Spencer Tracy is the star!’ She says, ‘You don’t understand, Mr. Baum. Ed’s gone.’ This went on for about two minutes until she finally said, ‘Mr. Baum, Ed died six weeks ago.’ Marty, who was a nice man as well as a good agent, says, “Oh, my God Mrs. Brophy, I am so sorry.’ I am falling on the floor by now.

Stanley KramerThen, Marty gets Stanley Kramer on the phone and says, ‘Look Stanley, I can’t deliver Ed Brophy.’ ‘Waddaya mean?’ ‘Well, he wants more money.’ ‘More money? I never heard of him.’ Well, he wants $2500 a week, and that’s a lot of money and I understand this won’t work out.’ Stanley says, ‘Marty, you’ve been so right on the picture that I’m going to give him the $2500.’ Marty says, ‘Yeah, but what about the billing?’ Stanley says, ‘What billing? I don’t even know him…alright, I’ll give him co-star billing and he’ll be among Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett and the others.’ Marty says, ‘I still can’t do it.’ Stanley says, ‘C’mon Marty. Let’s get this thing done.’ Finally, Marty says, ‘Stanley, Ed Brophy is dead.’ There’s a pause and Stanley says, ‘You sold me a dead actor?’ Marty says, ‘Yeah. But you bought him!’ True story. I was there."

Real Name
Clark
I see that "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World" will be shown in theaters nationwide the week of April 10.

Typically, the theaters that participate in these "Classic Film Series" events schedule three showings of each film --:usually a Sunday afternoon showing, plus a Wednesday afternoon and Wednesday evening exhibition.

The ads I have seen (for the Century Theaters chain) indicate the version they are showing is 2 hours and 55 minutes long.

It'll be great to see this one on the big screen!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I see that "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World" will be shown in theaters nationwide the week of April 10.

Typically, the theaters that participate in these "Classic Film Series" events schedule three showings of each film --:usually a Sunday afternoon showing, plus a Wednesday afternoon and Wednesday evening exhibition.

The ads I have seen (for the Century Theaters chain) indicate the version they are showing is 2 hours and 55 minutes long.

It'll be great to see this one on the big screen!
Link please?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm sure the reported running time is incorrect. It will be the general release version I suspect.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sorry, don't think that link works. Here's a screenshot.

07c0dac9dafa281623d45516239646fa.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Unless they're running the Criterion Blu-ray edition of the longer version( unlikely), it'll be the 163 minute "General Release" version.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Check out this video about a Kickstarter campaign to finance a book containing lots of Mad World memorabilia:

Video contains a color still of what appears to be Eve Bruce, probably in costume for the poolside scene with Ding and Benjy that was not included in the released film.

Campaign created by Disney animator Dave Woodman, avid collector of Mad World memorabilia, including letters from William Rose to Stanley Kramer. Mr. Woodman also interviewed Tania Rose in 2010.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dave-woodman-55974a43

Funding unsuccessful:
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1044631930/its-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-book/

Cast list video guide:

Dick Cavett meets Stan Laurel - brief mention of Mad World:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/the-fine-mess-maker-at-home/?_r=0

Barrie Chase talks about discussing IAMMMMW with Steve McQueen, and getting inspiration for her stoned look as Mrs. Haliburton:

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The MSRP seems to have been reduced to $39.99 from $49.99. Still a 2 disc set. I saw the $39.99 price at both Barnes and Noble and Amazon which is currently selling it for $22.99.

Oh now I noticed the version being sold now is missing the DVD version. Blu ray only.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The MSRP seems to have been reduced to $39.99 from $49.99. Still a 2 disc set. I saw the $39.99 price at both Barnes and Noble and Amazon which is currently selling it for $22.99.

Oh now I noticed the version being sold now is missing the DVD version. Blu ray only.
Criteriion is doing away with it's dual-format releases ... as the stock runs out they are (re-)releasing then as separate bluray or DVD sets. (They did do a special deal with Wal*Mart with a DVD only release of It's A Hard Day's Night ...A bluray only version of that film was included in a set they created for Costco and later sold on their site)

Old sticker (cover)
91-KYuH3x6L._SL1500_.jpg

New Sticker (same basic cover)
3687181.jpg

The sticker is part of the shrink wrap ...

I suspect that's why they had a number of Criterion titles on sale at deepdiscount.com to eliminate some of the dual version inventory ...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So a local Theater near me, the historic Lafayette Theater movie palace in Suffern NY presented the Criterion version of Its A
Mad Mad Mad World today.

After polling it’s audience on which version to show, a DCP Of the general release version or the Blu Ray Of The Criterion Edition, the Criterion won out.

I voted for the 4K DCP Of The general release version ( my favorite) because I had my doubts about how the extended Blu Ray Criterion version would loook on the big screen.

The presentation was much better than I thought it would be and the nearly sold out crowd didn’t seem to mind.

What made the event really special was the surprise guest. Paul Scrabo. Who is one of the three film historians on the commentary track. He was gracious enough to bring a small leaflet of what to expect from this transfer and best of all....an actual film frame from a 70 mm print of IAMMMMW for the first 100 guests.

I was fortunate to sit right in front of Mr Scrabo and his friend who was the person who actually had in his possession the police calls heard during the intermission. We talked a lot before hand and every once in a while during the film he would tap me on my shoulder and offer another nugget of information about the film. Awesome. Thanks Mr Scrabo.

A true treat today for this huge IAMMMMW fan!:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks