What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Med

Stunt Coordinator
Fantastic news! The Third Man, Walkabout & Man Who Fell To Earth will be instant buys for me. I'll no doubt pick up 400 Blows & Gimme Shelter soon after release too.

So many titles in the Criterion catalogue that I'd re-buy in 1080p, but I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for Brazil.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
For me, the HUGE news here is El Norte, one of my all-time favorites. I'd given up hope of ever getting an R1 DVD, and I didn't dare hope for a Criterion, and a Criterion Blu-Ray is beyond my wildest dreams. I'm over the moon about this.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
went right past me, but with the mention of Brazil, maybe Criterion will soon release Time Bandits on Blu-ray.

Med

Stunt Coordinator
Just to add I hope Criterion will release their Blu-Ray titles all region for those of us who wish to import to the UK (or elsewhere of course).

Film Syncs

Agent
Real Name
Phil M. Syncs
Marc Colella said:
Outstanding.
400 Blows, Wages of Fear and Contempt should do nicely. Actually, I can imagine how amazing Contempt would look - the DVD looks fantastic.
Can't wait for some Bergman and Fellini.
Agreed. Like others, I'm glad I didn't double dip on The Third Man.
Contempt looked great in SD with great colors so that could be a real winner in HD.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
If only other studios had half the sense that Criterion does when it comes to releasing titles such as these.
Unlike Fox or New Line, where we won't likely see Star Wars or Lord of the Rings for some time to come, Criterion goes and offers some of its most celebrated titles to its initial wave. I hope they keep the supplemental content the same as the SD predecessors. Most of these are some of the finest DVDs available right now as far as content and overall product quality.
Count on Criterion to deliver and not disappoint.
My first post in over a year. Yay! :D

mike caronia

Second Unit
htf_imgcache_29643.gif
woohoo!
Criterion Bottle Rocket !
Looks like I have to get a Blu player...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Why would you have to re-consider just because it's on BD? The issue of cropping that bothered so many in that thread will probably still remain the same with this release except it's in high definition. Maybe, some are purists only in SD and not in HD.:)
Well, the old R1 release was sooo bad...and the film's images are so strikingly beautiful...that the cleaned-up SD release was very tempting on its own.
And, basically, I guess I just feel that having those beautiful images now released in HD--yet likely still cropped--just ratchet-up that temptation to a new level.
============================
It sure will be interesting to see what Criterion's MSRP is going to be on their BDs.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Wow, GREAT news! :)
There are zillion Criterion-titles that I don´t have and I´ve held of buying those DVDs during the format war.
"The Third Man" and "400 Blows" are a must, and I must now also reconsider "Last Emperor" (the cropping does bother me in some degree).. We´ll see.
Anyway, thank you Criterion! About time! :)

Eric F

Screenwriter
JohnS said:
went right past me, but with the mention of Brazil, maybe Criterion will soon release Time Bandits on Blu-ray.
I thought Time Bandits was an Anchor Bay title?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Eric F said:
I thought Time Bandits was an Anchor Bay title?
It is.
But Criterion released their version also
And if I remember correctly, Criterion had great extras on it versus the Anchor Bay version.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
This is great news!! I am especially pleased to hear them say that the prices will be the same as the standard def versions (though I won't totally believe it until I actually see it).

On a side note, I wonder if the Criterion Blu-rays will have their own spine numbering system?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
This is very exciting news indeed. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't seen even one of these films before. So, while I have decided to reign in my blind-buying on this format until prices come down, I have very much looking forward to renting them for the time being and using the responses in this thread to help choose the order in which I will do so. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks