What's new

CONFIRMED: Alien films coming in 2010 to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
:) I would actually like to see both versions on the same release, but that is not likely to happen:frowning: .

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
While I agree they ought to provide both versions for collectors, I personally won't ever watch the "theatrical" Aliens release again: ever. The DC is vastly better in my eyes, and adds depth to Ripley and power to the mother-daughter connection (though I do feel that a few early scenes take away from the surprise-factor of what's happened. But then again... once you've seen the film at least once... that's gone anyway!).

Get away from her you BITCH! :D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

That's sort of the idea of that scene... the irony/disbelief that her daughter has lived and died as an old woman. If it felt that way for you, imagine what it might have really felt like for the "character" of Ripley. (p.s. her daughter wasn't 100 years old)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's easily the best scene in the SE (and I think they were crazy for cutting it from the theatrical cut in the first place). The pre-invasion colony sequence has some good stuff in it but I like the theatrical cut more because you and the characters are both in a place you've never seen before when they first get to the colony. The rest of the scenes don't really add to or detract from the movie for me.

Of course, in the end I'd rather see both versions available so I can choose.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Maybe Cameron will make a new cut available (no reason all can't be available via branching) that would omit the colony opening in Aliens from the Special Edition cut (there are enough T2 cuts). While it is cool to see the alien ship from the first film (would be nice if they could edit some of those shots back in somewhere else), I think it's too much too soon as well. It doesn't really give anything away if you've seen the first film, but as it's own film the suspense is better without it. Not to mention there's some some crappy acting.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
about a week ago I pulled this out to watch it, and for the first time since I got the LD with the DC in '91(?), I cued up the theatrical cut instead...and I just lost interest in it. It moves too fast for me in the first half now. I like the Colony stuff, and I like the scene with Newts family...It's paced well and the jump scare portion is still effective for me after all this time.
The only part of the DC I don't really like is...the Ripleys Daughter portion.
The thing about it that doesn't work for me, is the implication that she had a daughter that she would have regularly not seen since she was a 'truck driver in space' who was regularly being put into hypersleep for extended periods of time.
I also liked the idea that she seemed to be a comfortably single 'career woman' in Alien, but specific events later bring out the nurturing aspect implying that they were more or less, even in the far flung future, still genetically hardwired into her genders biology.
I understand why others like it, it just gave up other qualities about the character I liked more.

I wish these were coming sooner, like this Christmas. It's hard to work up much enthusiasm for something that far away. And hell, once we get to that point, they might just as well hold off another 12 months, and give us a 30th Anniversary edition of the first film. There isn't anything more I want as far as extras go that wasn't already on the Quad sets, but these studios never seem to miss a chance to slap an anniversary label on the packaging.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I have the Japansese Quad set which has all 4 films in DTS.
ALIENS in DTS is pretty dang good.
The PQ is also a tad better on ALIENS and ALIEN3 on the set.
The way they found room for the DTS track and slightly better PQ is JUST the DC, extended versions are on the Japanese set. No theatrical for these 2. Doesn't bother me as I prefer the longer cuts and the better PQ/AQ is worth it for me.
The "seamlessly branched" ALIEN disc does give my Oppo player hiccups though. I also like the reinstated cocoon scene and the scene where they "listen" to the distress signal in the longer version of ALIEN alot. Give me the wigguns...

;)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Shorter is usually better. I don't prefer any of Cameron's extended cuts to their theatrical cousins (yes, that includes The Abyss), and Aliens is no exception.

With the opening colony sequence omitted, you're right there in the same headspace as Ripley and the Marines when they land on the planet - with no idea what to expect. The tension is much higher. I appreciate the nostalgia factor those colony scenes elicits in some viewers, as they hearken back to Alien (the best horror movie ever), but think about it this way - would the first film's opening act have been as effective if it had been preceded by scenes of the derelict spacecraft crew being attacked by the aliens?

And as for the stuff about Ripley's daughter - that's an example of hitting a nail too squarely on the head: "Oh, so that's why she's drawn to Newt!" You didn't need to be a psychiatrist to see that Ripley's maternal instincts were kicking in with Newt when we were all watching the theatrical cut in the 80s. To me, it doesn't make the relationship any stronger. If anything, it weakens it. I prefer the idea of Ripley as a loner who discovers her nurturing qualities, as Paul_Scott outlined above.

Of course, it's a terrific film in any version (still Cameron's best; probably least flawed). As for the BD disc, I'll believe it (and immediately buy it) when I see it.

--Jefferson Morris

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Count me in amongst the minority (or so it would appear) that prefer the theatrical cut of Aliens. Of course, I would always welcome as many cuts of a film as possible on HDM, so bring 'em all on I say!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I agree. If the original version is available, I´ve no problem with dir cut/extended/unrated/etc versions.

Now, please Fox: We need you back!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Ironically that is a picture of Sigourney Weaver's own mother. No age makeup required.

Doug

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The ONLY part of the DC of Aliens I actually loathe is the introduction of the senturian machine guns. It slows down the pacing and ruins the taut suspense of the theatrical version when the aliens start coming en masse for them. Watch both versions -- with and without the auto guns -- and I think you'll agree. Cut those parts out and the DC is a winner.

Dan

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hope they release theatrical cut of this film. The DC sounds like it has all of the tension and surprise removed. It also sounds like the mother-daughter angle is more pronounced. Ughh! I always shut the film off after the colony blows. Everything that occurs after that point just makes me want to hurl.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Are you kidding? The end is classic. And I agree with Cameron that the longer, DC actually adds tension (the "50 miles of rough road" or whatever). Even the sentry guns. Once I'd seen the longer cut, there just seemed to be gaps in the theatrical cut as far as their strategy went. (It's like, "well, we sealed everything off...ope! They're here!!) The DC feels a lot more like a war, which was the idea.

If you've never seen the longer cut, you're missing a real treat. I haven't watched anything but the DC in years.

And the DC has more awesome Bill Paxton footage.:laugh: "Maybe we got 'em demoralized!" (that one may actually be in both cuts)

"Don 't worry, Ripley, me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! We've got guns, knives, sharp sticks!"

In addition to the comedy, his character had a bit more of an arc. From being so full of himself (but all talk), to scared shitness, to genuinely brave.

The very short, additional snippets with Hicks and Ripley went a long way too.

Has anyone seen the new DirecTV ad with Sigourney and the "Get away from her, you ...." scene? I don't know if they did some trickery to make her look younger or what. Pretty funny, but she doesn't do the line with enough authority.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks