What's new

CONFIRMED: Alien films coming in 2010 to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The latest DVD release had BOTH the theatrical and extended cuts of Alien and Aliens, imagine that.

There's absolutely no reason why these studio's can't do the same on these HD formats, aside from greed and/or lazyness.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
So I am watching TV last evening and what should pop on; a new DirecTv commercial, one in the series that they have produced that uses segments from films intercut with refilmed images with the lead talking about DirecTv, and up pops Sigourney Weaver strapped into the loader saying 'Get away from her, you ..." Found a bit funny.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Sorry guys. I don't know how I missed your post, Grant, but I did. I am so embarrassed
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Nope, I'm not. I hate the power loader sequence and I especially hate the line that everyone likes to quote. I busted a gut when I first heard it. From that point on, Cameron. went from making a Sci-Fi actioner to making a comedy. The hanger airlock sequence was hilarious: not only for its impossibility, but also for the classic comedy routine involving Ripley's foot and a certain nasty alien. No, this one gets turned off right after colony destruction.

One day I might check the DC out of curiosity, but I'm sure I'll always prefer the original cut minus the cornball ending. On BD I'll be satisfied with the theatrical cut. I'll take both as long as it doesn't cost extra. A DC only edition is a no sale.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I must say that I am also not a fan of the famous line that everyone seems to love so much. It's pretty cheesy. I don't dislike the ending of the movie though.

Doug

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
At that time in the film, the line works perfectly IMHO. Ripley had just had SO much at that point.
What else could she say, "Get away from her you xenomorph!"...?

;)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Wow. Never heard this one before. I absolutely love the "sentry guns"-scene. It really tells how menacing the Aliens actually are.

I also love the ending. It´s true that in many films, the weak ending can do a lot of harm to a good movie, but it´s achievement that Cameron could create so original and adrenaline-filled ending after all that has happened before it.

But I guess this thread shows how differently people feel about this film and films generally. Then again, that's the beauty of movies.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I too like the sentry gun scene. IMHO it builds suspense and shows how determined the Aliens are in going after them. And when they're at the door and you hear the sound of them on the other side, eeesh!

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Me too, because I thought to myself: Jeez, and they're still coming after all that?! DANG!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The sentry guns sequence is probably my favorite of the new scenes in the DC.
I greatly appreciate how much tension Cameron builds within it, without ever once showing the creatures. And then after its over theres that extra little added sense of just how further backed into the corner they are.
Love it.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I think the problem that I have with some of the dialog in this film is that it very "Cameron" dialog and doesn't seem to match too well with the first film. The first film felt very real and didn't have one liners. A line like "get away from her you *****! wouldn't have even been said in the first film. There would probably have been no dialog at all in that scene.

Don't get me wrong I love the film, but some of the lines make me cringe a little.

Doug

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Interesting observation.
I never thought about it like that and agree a line like that would have been way out of place in Scotts film (and one reason I still love it so much).- But the reason I never noticed that before could probably be due to the sequel having fully carved out its own niche with the characters and premise by that point in the movie.
Making a sequel to an old house style horror film into a action /war movie already substantially changed the tone enough that bravado one-liners weren't that out of place (for me). Thankfully, that was one of the few in the film of that style.
If she said something like that several times during every act, then it would have been way too over the top for me (and there were plenty of action movies in the 80s that did just that- I remember seeing the trailer to Stallones Cobra and thinking "ok, this has to be a gag...this must be an ad for another Airplane style parody, no way they can be serious")

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
On BD, with it's gazillion terabytes, I better get both cuts. I absolutely prefer the theatrical cut, simply for it's brilliant pacing and tension-ratcheting. But I'd like to have the DC scenes available, in sequence with the film.

I have to vehemently disagree with Edwin on the famous line. It's written for the audience, and considering how the audience is in Cameron's hands, the line is gangbusters. No, it doesn't reflect reality, but it absolutely reflects action films. It's hardly out of place...Ripley is probably terrified, and is screwing up her courage. Again, Cameron might not write the best dialogue, but precious few writers are as good as audience control as Cameron.

Considering Fox can't get out their C-list stuff, I don't hold out hope for one of their crown jewels this early. But considering how much space is on a BD, I better get all of the LD extras, plus both cuts, plus every audio choice ever :) That goes for all of the films, though I only care about the first three.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I agree with you that it is a very different movie from Alien. Alien was a haunted house movie, Aliens is a war movie. I really didn't mind the "Cameron" dialog coming from the Marines, it seemed to fit them, it just seemed kind of odd coming from Ripley. Cameron's writing always seemed to me like he was trying to write clever dialog, but he never quite had the talent of a Robert Towne or a William Goldman. But the movie is so good in every other respect that I'm willing to over look the dialog.

Doug

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hey, the folks here at HTF are nice enough to have a "Movie" Forum.
Whatever you don't like about this title can be posted there.
This thread is about the software release (in HD no less!!!).
So take the: I like this line, I don't like this line; out of here!
Please.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Interesting observations. I'm sure that any audience member that liked the ending would also like the line. For the record, I would have liked the line if I would have liked the ending. I didn't like the ending; therefore, I didn't care for the line. People complain about too many endings on ROTK, but at least the endings served to tie up loose ends. For me, the natural ending of ALIENS occurred when the colony blew. The tension in the film ratcheted up continually until the colony and the BEMs were destroyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks