What's new

CONFIRMED: Alien films coming in 2010 to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Well we were talking about the different versions of the film that might come to HD so I think its completely appropriate for this thread. So until a moderator tells us that the conversation needs to be changed, I think its okay to talk about this.

Doug

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I have to finish in another post due to a bug in the PS3s keyboard interface.

Anyway, the tensipn and fear are relieved. End of story; however, Cameron just can't let it go. No he has to have his ooga booga moment and bring the thing back for yet another round: a battle royale that starts with a comedic one liner and becomes funnier and funnier, until it culminates in a hilarious climax involving a massive,armored, alien , Ripley's foot, and air escaping at hurricane velocity. It just became too gutbustingly funny.

I like ALIENS, but Cameron partly ruined the fil with his inability to just let it end quietly, with grace.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would just like to add that I hope this rumour turns out to be true; however, I won't hold my breath since it appears Gollum has been hired as the head of Fox's home video arm. I heard he made the jump to corporate mamagement due to a dearth of acting jobs for withered old green sneaks with a ring fetish. I would say he is fitting in quite nicely judging from the lack of output at FOX Home Video.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
1) It was his film to ruin, if that's what he did :)
2) I think general sentiment on Aliens is that it's a masterpiece of action and thrills. I know very few people who've seen it who don't like it quite a bit. I admit my own biases towards the film, but I've met precious few who have bad things to say about it.
3) I think it did end quietly, and with grace. Just after a sequence that involved Cameron's "mother vs. mother" theme.

Sorry Ed. This is an Alien thread. Barring a popular thread in Movies, it'll get discussed here.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

But wait! Ripley called the computer "Mother" a "bitch" in ALIEN at the end!!!!
Remember? When Mother wouldn't stop the self destruct. Ripley screams, "You...BITCH!!!!" and smashes the control panel.

I think calling a giant female egg laying ALIEN a bitch is actually more apt!!!

And yes, the films are in very different leagues. ALIENS as great as it is, INSTANTLY screams "80's" with the cheesy surfer marine dialog and Paul Reiser the future yuppie and his pseudo-mullet. ALIEN is timeless looking and sounding. Looks like it could have been made last year.

:)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

True but somehow the line reading seemed less trite in Alien. Again don't get me wrong the dialog in Aliens really doesn't bother me that much.

Doug

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

It actually bothers me just a tad. I mean, I LOVE Bill Paxton but I think he chews the scenery just a little too much in ALIENS.
But, I must say when I saw ALIENS at a packed screening at the Ziegfeld in NYC when Sigourney uttered that line the place went absolutely, freaking insane. Great writing? nah. But the absolute best and perfect line at that moment in that film.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Oh yeah exactly. In a theater with 1000 people who are all into the movie, its perfect. No doubt that it is a great roller coaster of a movie.

Doug

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yep. A similar moment was when people first saw Yoda flying around with his lightsaber vs. Christopher Lee at the end of SW:AOTC (also at the Ziegfeld) on opening day. The place went absolutely bonkers and considering that the film (while clearly better than TPM) was just okay, that one moment saved the film IMHO.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
About "Alien 3".. I´m sure that most of us were disappointed that Fincher didn´t participate in the last box set. It´s of course understandable since the guy hates the film and hated the production (eh, or should I say: "producers"), but the quote from Digitalbits-review has always puzzled me:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/alienquad06.html

"The documentary on Disc Six, now simply titled The Making of Alien³, was originally called Wreckage and Rape: The Making of Alien³. More than thirty minutes of material that was produced for this documentary was cut at the last minute. You might be wondering what difference thirty minutes could make in a three hour documentary. A big difference. Gone now is much of the honesty and truth about the hell director David Fincher went through on the production. Among the footage lost were actual moments with Fincher on the set, where you saw his frustration and anger. You saw his struggles with producers. You heard from Sigourney and the other cast and crew members talking about the problems, and what a raw deal Fincher got. You even heard from the film's producers and Fox executives talking about what went wrong. Simply put, this disc was about as good a behind-the-scenes look at the making of Alien³ as you could ever hope to get, short of Fincher returning to address the production himself (and he WAS asked to do so, but declined). Unfortunately, what you get now, while it still does contain some of the above (including material that you've never seen before), it sort of teases the stuff you really want to know, then glosses by it."

I´m sure that this is just daydreaming, but perhaps we could see the "uncut"-documentary on HD-release or something (IF "Alien 3" will be released on Blu-ray in the first place). Similar thing happened with "Titanic"; The "too revelatory" documentary was dropped in the last minute (it was already announced and everything).

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yep. Noticed that with Titanic. You could tell that there was a very lengthy and thorough new doc. produced that wound up getting chopped down into those "pods". Apparently some of Cameron's notorious "general" like behavior was highlighted.
I would have loved to see all of the Fincher stuff but Fox apparently didn't want to look like too much of the bad guy.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Thats interesting because the documentary on The Abyss is pretty unflinching when it comes both to Cameron and to the studio's lack of cooperation with the production.

Doug

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's why I think it's more likely that they held it back for a high def or another SD release or they felt it was redundant with the others features on the set and not because Cameron's feelings were hurt. :)

EDIT: It wouldn't really be news that Cameron was 'diffiicult' to work with. Plus, I'd imagine that Cameron had seen the documentary in some form over the course of 8 years so it's not like he was taken by surprise at the 11th hour by its depiction of him. And if Cameron considered some parts to be that bad, why not just have them edit those parts (same as Fox did with Alien 3's doc).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I don't think Cameron would cut something that painted him as a hardass dick. I think he accepts that. He may be an egotistical prick, but I don't think he's a vain, narrow-minded one.

I would love to see the original Titanic doc, but I'd love to see the Alien3 doc even more.

Alien3 is a very interesting film to me. It's well worth watching just for the sheet technical skill on display, and the conceptual realization of the story, compromised as it is.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Haha. I hadn't checked in a couple days, and then I saw that post right away. Indeed, I thought "didn't I post about that...was it at AVS?"

Thanks for reassuring me.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
What's needed is the Quadrilogy set with lossless. Nothing else will do, at least for me. Perhaps some fancy packaging ala WB Blade Runner, Harry Potter.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Since FOX handles these titles, why would you expect anything less than full lossless audio on every release?

:D

The *only* studios who don't provide lossless audio reliably on every hi-def title are:

Paramount, Universal, Warner.

I find a certain irony that BD-exclusive studios provide lossless as a rule and those that release on HD DVD do not.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Just as long as they don't duplicate the current packaging for the AVP megaset. I love special packaging, but that beast is WAY too cumbersome for my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks