1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

cheap and easy IR remote extender?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by craig_curtis, Jan 25, 2009.

1. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    I have a small wall mounted LCD in my kitchen and want to install the cable box in a closet, around the corner since the cable box is HUGE. The cable box has an IR port on the back which is something i assume that is used for this type of installation. Is there a way to just buy an extender cable that will allow me to just move the position of my IR receiver? I don't need one of the big through the wall wireless systems - since the cable box is a whopping 3 feet from the tv (total extension needed is maybe 6 feet, if that.

I saw a system online that is like $150. There has to be a way to do this cheaply, since it is just for a 20 inch tv in the kitchen!

Thanks

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Maybe not. I had a DirecTV receiver that had an IR port but it was an output port. It would control a VCR to start recording. Post the make/model of your cable box and we will try to find some more information. Otherwise anything we say is just a guess.

-Robert

3. craig_curtis

Craig
    it is a motorola QIP6200-2 HD box from Verizon for my FIOS service. It is not the DVR box but just the basic box. Thanks for you help

4. craig_curtis

Craig
    I found the user manual for the motorola and it is indeed a IR output to control a vcr. Soooooo is there a cheap way to just extend the signal or do I have to get one of the crazy expensive setups? or should I just keep the utility closet open every time I want to change the channel?!

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    My in-laws use a wireless IR extender with very few issues. It misses a button press every now and then but for $25 what can you expect. I picked it up for them on E-bay. Parts Express and Smarthome were selling the same thing for $60+.

-Robert

6. Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart Second Unit

Kevin Stewart
  7. mythtvuser

mythtvuser Auditioning

You can use this $13 IR Extender If you can get verizon to give you the QIP71XX or QIP72XX boxes.