cheap and easy IR remote extender?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by craig_curtis, Jan 25, 2009.

1. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    I have a small wall mounted LCD in my kitchen and want to install the cable box in a closet, around the corner since the cable box is HUGE. The cable box has an IR port on the back which is something i assume that is used for this type of installation. Is there a way to just buy an extender cable that will allow me to just move the position of my IR receiver? I don't need one of the big through the wall wireless systems - since the cable box is a whopping 3 feet from the tv (total extension needed is maybe 6 feet, if that.

I saw a system online that is like $150. There has to be a way to do this cheaply, since it is just for a 20 inch tv in the kitchen!

Thanks

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Maybe not. I had a DirecTV receiver that had an IR port but it was an output port. It would control a VCR to start recording. Post the make/model of your cable box and we will try to find some more information. Otherwise anything we say is just a guess.

-Robert

3. craig_curtis

Craig
    it is a motorola QIP6200-2 HD box from Verizon for my FIOS service. It is not the DVR box but just the basic box. Thanks for you help

4. craig_curtis

Craig
    I found the user manual for the motorola and it is indeed a IR output to control a vcr. Soooooo is there a cheap way to just extend the signal or do I have to get one of the crazy expensive setups? or should I just keep the utility closet open every time I want to change the channel?!

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    My in-laws use a wireless IR extender with very few issues. It misses a button press every now and then but for $25 what can you expect. I picked it up for them on E-bay. Parts Express and Smarthome were selling the same thing for $60+.

-Robert

6. Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart Second Unit

Kevin Stewart
  7. mythtvuser

mythtvuser Auditioning

You can use this $13 IR Extender If you can get verizon to give you the QIP71XX or QIP72XX boxes.