What's new

Boogens? (1 Viewer)

kingtut13874

Auditioning
Real Name
jamie
Hey everyone - great forum - just joined it. Just wondering if anyone has heard any chatter on whether or not The Boogens may see an eventual release somewhere down the road. This is one of my favorite 80's monster flicks - hope it gets a mainstream release one day.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by kingtut13874

Hey everyone - great forum - just joined it. Just wondering if anyone has heard any chatter on whether or not The Boogens may see an eventual release somewhere down the road. This is one of my favorite 80's monster flicks - hope it gets a mainstream release one day.

I believe there was a lot of talk on the film on the SHOUT FACTORY Release thread. It has many pages, but if you go over the thread, you can find some information on this film. But as a short note, I think that it ended up there not any interest or problems in obtaining the rights.

kingtut13874

Auditioning
Real Name
jamie
It would suck not being released due to lackof interest - it really is a good film - much better than most films that came out of the 80's. Licensing also could be an issue like you said too. It just kills me that TCM showed a pristine LBX print that was gorgeous but may not see official release. Just gotta keep the ol' fingers crossed I guess :eek:)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by kingtut13874

It would suck not being released due to lackof interest - it really is a good film - much better than most films that came out of the 80's. Licensing also could be an issue like you said too. It just kills me that TCM showed a pristine LBX print that was gorgeous but may not see official release. Just gotta keep the ol' fingers crossed I guess :eek:)

Pick through the Shout thread. I am sure I am not telling the full story.

kingtut13874

Auditioning
Real Name
jamie
Hi Cliff - glad to hear there is at least a little interest in a release. Good luck with it and hope one day it can see a release! If Shout is involved that sounds great!

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Paramount owns the rights to THE BOOGENS, though since it was produced by Taft Broadcasting it might be tied up in the Republic Pictures library that they licensed to Lionsgate. I have heard that license is soon to expire again, and since Lionsgate did even less with those films on DVD than they did the first time, perhaps Paramount will consider new sublicensing deals for those movies, since they have fared much better with companies like Legend, Olive, and Criterion. Paramount has also dipped a toe into working with Shout by offering them classic Nickelodeon TV shows, so there is hope that Shout will get a chace at it.

(Speaking of which - Hey Cliff, any chance that Nickelodeon deal will finally free up Season 3 of 'ADVENTURES OF PETE AND PETE'? )

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Taft Broadcasting purchased Worldvision in 1979 the Sunn Classics in 1980 which set this formally TV station and amusement park company into the film business. While they releases some of their own titles themselves, they settled in with an independent company called Jensen Farley Pictures started by two former employees from Sunn Classics. THE BOOGENS was released to theatres through Jensen Farley. In 1987 all of this, including the broadcasting stations were rolled in Great American Communications then 1988 they sold the Worldvision division to Aaron Spelling which in turn in 1997 Spelling rolled Worldvision into Republic Pictures, which is now owned by Paramount, but library leased out to Lionsgate.

An interesting side note is that Worldvision was owned by ABC before it was sold in 1979 to Taft.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks