What's new

Big Lots Sale (1 Viewer)

myjupitermx

Auditioning
Real Name
Jupiter
anyone has information related to oldest television movies like a TIme Trax, Airwolf, etc.
thas was on 90's
w.png

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
*Still* no "new" titles at the BL here. We went in for the sale but purchased mostly grocery and household products. I looked at the DVD section but it was the same old unsold titles they've had since last October. I've heard a couple of rumors that there have been several new lots of closeout material and BL purchased some but if that's the case they seem to be sitting on the stock.

Tooncy

Second Unit
I think it's inevitable that they will eventually get some new stuff, but I haven't bothered going in a while. The selection was really small and pretty crappy last time I checked.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I forgot to stop by. Last time I went in I just picked up a bag of something called Asian Snack Mix (I think it was called that). Has little rice crackers, sesame sticks, etc, covered in something like soy sauce. Well... approximation more like it. Also, these peas covered in this very hot white stuff that may be my least favorite thing I've ever tasted. Just awful. The rest was edible but I'll never buy it again. Hard to find a good bag of snacks to munch on lately. If weed is ever legalized here in Georgia, I think that would fix my snack problem as a side effect.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
I forgot to stop by. Last time I went in I just picked up a bag of something called Asian Snack Mix (I think it was called that). Has little rice crackers, sesame sticks, etc, covered in something like soy sauce. Well... approximation more like it. Also, these peas covered in this very hot white stuff that may be my least favorite thing I've ever tasted. Just awful. The rest was edible but I'll never buy it again. Hard to find a good bag of snacks to munch on lately. If weed is ever legalized here in Georgia, I think that would fix my snack problem as a side effect.
That "white stuff" is wasabi powder/paste on the peas. I love most hot stuff but *hate* the taste of wasabi. Fortunately I'd tried wasabi before those bags of the peas and the mix showed up or I'd be stuck with some myself!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm reading about new titles showing up. I'm planning a trip this afternoon and hopfully some of these will be here:

$3 - DVD30 Days of Night: Dark DaysAddams Family ValuesAge Of Innocence, ThsArabesque (slim case)Boys TownBroken EmbracesCape Fear (Gregory Peck)Command Decision (slashed UPC)DefendorElvis 2-pack: Spinout/Double TroubleFort Apache (John Wayne)Gilda ("regular cover")Hit List, The (Cuba Gooding)Hudsucker Proxy, TheIn Old ArizonaIt Could Happen to YouMillion Dollar BabyMirage (SlimCase)Mrs MiniverMy Young Auntie (Dragon Dynasty)National VelvetPalm Beach Story, ThePride and PrejudicePrince of Tides, The (slim case)Quo VadisRio Bravo (John Wayne)Sabrina 2 disc Centennial CollectionStranger wore a Gun, TheStranger, TheTequila SunriseTexas Cyclone (John Wayne)To Have and Have NotTreasure of Sierra Madre 2 disc SEUrban Legends: Bloody MaryVegas VacationWay We Were, TheWitches of OzWitches, The$5 - DVDA Clockwork OrangeCasablanca 1 disc anniversaryChampaign, TheDark Knight Rises, TheDark Knight, TheDefendorGirl InteruptedGoodfellasHeatHot Fuzz (Three-Disc Collector's Edition) (2007)Hudsuker ProxyMonty Python and the Holy Grail (Collectors Edition)ParanormanPoltergeistStarmanSuperbad (2 disc Extended)Superman ISuperman IISuperman II the Richard Donner CutSuperman IIISuperman IVThing, TheWizard of Oz, The (75th anniversary)TVonDVD - $5American Dreams S1Event, The (complete series)Galactica 1980Gimme A Break S1Jeremiah S1Josie and the Pussycats (Complete Series)Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm (Complete Series)Seaquest DSV S2Trauma S1V S1Wacky Races (complete series)$5 - BREagle, The (BestBuy exclusive)Final Destination 5Gettysburg (Director's Cut Digi-book)Gettysburg (Director's Cut, regular blue case)Hangover Part II SteelbookHell Ride (Directed by Larry Bishop)House of Wax (remake)J EdgarTaking of Pelham 1 2 3 (Travolta)Up in the AirZack and Miri

Some is restock and some "new" to BL. I just do *not* understand the logic in pricing the Superman films at $5 each since all but Superman II The Richard Donner Cut has been at BL before for $3 each.

**EDIT**

And of course there was *nothing* new here... Oh well... at least I saved a few $$ to spend on some older wish list stuff from Amazon that finally hit the "right" price! :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mine had
DVD
Jesus Christ Superstar. (heard the blu ray is way better so returning)

Blu rays
Lord of the Rings Return of the King extended Blu ray. 2 disc (will probably return this in favor is the trilogy set, if they'd had them all for $5 a different story)
Jonah Hex (bad reviews, regretfully returning)

TV DVD
Forever Knight Trilogy Part 1 (keeping, looks great)

Also picked up Last house on the left blu for $5. It's the remake and includes 2 versions of the film.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I went in last night and found about half of the titles in the list I posted were here. There were several not listed but other than Pride of the Yankees I really don't recall any titles. I put back several to go back later and pick up - I'd have gotten them last night but have some titles I need to exchange and may only have to pay for 1 of what I "hid" with the others being exchanges. I'm pretty sure a couple are not on that list above but I'd have to have them in hand to know for sure...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Aaron Silverman said:
Don't you guys have smartphones so you can research stuff in the store instead of having to constantly return discs? The customer service people must shudder in fear when they see you walk in! :)
Nope. I truly have no need for one. I have a Razr that my work provides and it's sufficient for my needs (which is to make occasional calls). Even then a "smartphone" wouldn't help unless I had my entire movie database available - since it's a Windows application that's not going to happen. Don't even ask about putting it "in the cloud" - I've seen too many of those services go under to trust any of them and I don't need internet access to use that local app unless I use the IMDB import function.

*All* my returns are because I picked up a duplicate somewhere along the line - either a single I already had but forgot *or* purchased a multi-pack *after* the BL purchase that contains one or more singles I picked up at BL. In my case I know all the CS and management people on a first name basis (my wife and I are *very* regular customers) and all I have to do is walk in with a few discs and tell them I'd like to do an exchange. As long as the returns are unopened and still have the price sticker it's no problem. I go get what I want, they check to see that the price and number of exchanges match and off I go. If I'm unsure of a title I research it *before* making the purchase so I don't take back stuff I decided I really don't want after all. If there's only one copy on their shelves they'll hold it for me if I ask because they know I'll either call in a couple of hours to let them know I don't want it *or* come back within a couple of days and pick it up. It doesn't hurt that the store is just under a mile from my house so even a extra trip isn't really a bother and a round trip costs about a quarter for gas.

So... in the case I mentioned above the purchases were left *not* to research the titles/prices but to get the exchanges I neglected to put in the car first and to check a couple I thought I'd previously purchased so I didn't have more accidental dups. When you have over a thousand titles it's hard to remember them all - especially blind buy titles where you think "Hey I've heard of that one... For that price I'll purchase a copy."

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Aaron Silverman said:
Don't you guys have smartphones so you can research stuff in the store instead of having to constantly return discs? The customer service people must shudder in fear when they see you walk in! :)
Not constantly.... ! :p But I keep those great men and women in their jobs. If it wasn't for me they wouldn't be needed there, they would be on the street selling drugs or even worse working in McDonalds!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I finally took my exchanges in and picked up:

V - The Complete First Season (this is the new version of the series and a blind buy)
Paris When it Sizzles
Enter the Dragon
The Butterfly Effect Collection (1 & 2 on a DS disc)

Of course those are the ones I couldn't remember from my discovery trip. I've read The Butterfly Effect is pretty good and #2 is a waste of film so getting both for $3 (actually a trade for one I'd picked up at $2.40) is a better way to find out.

I believe Enter the Dragon is a restock but don't know for sure. The 3-4 copies they got here went *fast* so I'm glad I had one hidden. The copy I got of Paris When it Sizzles was the only one I saw. Most of the tiles that showed up had only 2-3 copies with many having only 1 (that I saw). By the time I went back in to do my exchanges the new stuff had been very picked over.

I've read where some stores have the DVD/BR titles on a percentage off sale depending on sticker color. That's not yet happened here, but it's OK for me as there's really nothing left on the racks I would purchase.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My store seems to be trying to clear out the existing old stock of movies. Many of them are 30-90% off, based on the color coding on the price tag.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
There's a *new* waterfall display of TVonDVD titles hitting BL stores. Each season is $8.

Here's the list:

Chuck seasons 1-5Friends seasons 1-10Fringe seasons 1-5Gilmore Girls seasons 1-7Gossip Girl seasons 1-5Nip/Tuck seasons 1-6The O.C. seasons 1-4One Tree Hill seasons 1-6Southland seasons 1-5Two and a Half Men seasons 1-10

It actually showed up here today! There were at least 2 copies of every season of every show listed with a few having up to 4 copies. These also have unique UPC's on the BL price stickers and ring up with the series/season name in the description. *WARNING* The Barcodes are slashed on these!

I purchased Gilmore Girls S6 & S7, Fringe S2-S5, and Two and a Half Men S4-S7. When it rang up I got a additional $10 off the purchase. I don't know if this is some sale on these titles or something tied to my Rewards Card but I'm not complaining! The discount only appeared on the TVonDVD titles I purchased and nothing else. $7/Season is OK by me! :)

*EDIT* - I read on another forum that these are ringing up at $7 each. I thought it may have been tied to the amount as I actually purchased 11 titles and only 10 got the discount. What I've been reading is from people purchasing fewer than 10 titles so it doesn't appear to be tied to the number purchased. In case you're interested, that 11th title I purchased that did *not* get the discount was Two and a Half Men S8 but it's going back as I already own a copy (I knew I had a random season in what I already had but didn't recall exactly which so I picked up copies of everything past S3 just in case).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Another update on the discount. It appears that the $7/season price takes effect when these titles are purchased in multiples of *2*. The discount does not apply to the 3rd unless you also purchase a 4th, etc.

And of course in my excitement upon actually having these appear at the store here I totally failed to notice that *ON THE DISPLAY* in *LARGE* letters is the statement "2 for $14". :lol:

In this case it's literal. Unlike in the past when you only needed purchase "2" and all the rest were the sale price you *must* purchase in pairs to get the $7/season price.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Don't worry Bob, I forgot about the way it worked. Didn't even bother looking at the sign. I picked up Fringe 3, 4, 5 and nothing else. Oops! Still, very good deals. Glad to have that one finished. I've got 2 more seasons of X-File then I'll start watching Fringe.

Thanks for the heads up. I usually rush in there for popcorn and low salt chips.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I know there's Elvis fans here. Walmart had a few Elvis things. Including Elvis On Tour. That's about $17 at amazon, it rang up as $4 at walmart. I totally forgot what else they had.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^ wanted to mention the Elvis On Tour was in a special display in the back of Walmart in front of the TVs... Elvis stuff, John Wayne... Dad's day display!

My BL is having a clearance sale on some DVDs and blu rays. Not sure if it's just my store.....?

Some prices as low as 10 cents. (Well, 1 thing I saw and bought...)

Examples from what I got:

The Animation Show Vol 1 and 2. $1 (marked down from $10) very happy to get this (had a loose dvd, plus a dark speck on the disc I couldn't remove...surface checked good but that doesn't mean... )
Get Smart blu. $4 (down from $8)
Dirty Sanchez. 10 cents. (I know I'll have to edit my Top 10 Favorites list after watching this...lol)
Revenge of Frankenstein. 30 cents (nice back up)
Comedy Central Roast Denis Leary. 75 cents (glad I didn't cave when it was $5...hope it's as good as Shatner's Roast)
Patton Oswald No Reason to Complain. $1.25
Half a Sixpence. $1.25
House Calls (Matthau) $2.50
Jiminy Glick in Lalawood. 30 cents
Milk. 30 cents
The Marc Pease Experience. 30 cents
Gilda (Hayworth). 50 cents

A lot appeared to be cleared out when I got to it.

Some blus are $3.44. Spin City season 1 $3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks