What's new

Big Lots Sale (2 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Those are some pretty good markdowns! The store here has a clearance sale going on but nothing that cheap... yet... And the selection is pretty picked over at this point. Absolutely *nothing* I want on sale or otherwise, except for possibly Chuck. I've never seen that one but it has fairly good reviews and sounds like something I might like. No one I know has seen this one which leaves me totally on the fence and have been for about a week. Last I looked (2 days ago) they still had all 5 seasons in stock.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That was my problem with those show seasons.... vaguely familiar.... I do want to get Friends but it can sure wait for a complete series set for about 50 bucks like Seinfeld does every now and then.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Quick review: Patton Oswalt No Reason to Complain. I won't! It gave me fits of tearful laughter and my dry eyes got free eye drops! Needed that... This was hystericals! and it didn't stop after the 42 minutes... there are deleted scenes, I'm sure some were removed for time but maybe they should be in the main feature for this disc. And how about a surprise?!! 2 other features included, each about 22 minutes. So if I'd done the $5, I would have been happy. I have no doubt I'll watch this disc every now and then. Must be this standup guy in top form.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well.. my completist gene kicked in and I had to go back and purchase Two and a Half Men seasons 9 & 10. I didn't care for a few of the episodes of the show I saw after Sheen had left but at $7 each...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Just a "heads up"... I was told this coming weekend (July 12/13) is a 20% off weekend. Saturday the 12th you get 20% off automatically by using your Buzz Club card. Sunday the 13th requires a coupon that should be available at checkouts sometime this week. If they hold true to form there'll also be a web copy you can print but I've not gotten that email yet.

**UPDATE**
Here's the image about the sale. It starts earlier than in the past (2pm instead of 4pm). Still no online/printable coupon.
071214-pdp.jpg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was in there yesterday for some very special cookies nobody else seems to have. Long, crusty things...like apple pie crust. dip those in some puddin! um!

Anyway, I saw nothing I wanted to get. :(

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My wife found and purchased a tiltable floor fan (9" blade) a week or so ago that she *really* likes (she sleeps under a fan - hot flashes). At the very least I'll be purchasing a couple more of those so there's one in each bedroom. I'm *still* toying with picking up Chuck and at 20% off it's less of a risk. They did a restock of those $8 (2/$14) TV sets here a week or so back so they have *plenty*. I'm just a bit miffed that the sets I picked up when they first hit the store are no longer returnable (purchased about 10 days too early) or I'd "repurchase" them to get the discount. :(

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Because of the 2/$14 and the additional 20% off I went ahead and picked up Chuck. After the double discount they were $5.60/season. I finally found reviews by people I trust and think I may have done good as it sounds like something I'd like... :)

Even though the display was still marked 2/$14 they did *not* ring up that way. Luckily I'd been alerted this might occur and checked the receipt as soon as it came off the register. I brought the discrepancy to the attention of the checker who took a quick look over her shoulder at the display, did a "Hmmm.... I wonder why those didn't ring up right?", immediately took the receipt to credit them back and do a price adjustment. Saved me about $5.50 with tax figured in. It makes me wonder if they were disallowing discount stacking - BUT if that's the case that price on the display should have been removed or covered. No matter... it was a no questions refund so I'm happy. :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Picked up ...

Lord of the Rings animated. $3. A shame they didn't have all 3. I especially remember adoring The Hobbit from (i think) Rankin/Bass.
Best of Show. $3. Nearly bought this used at the Salvation Army Store for the same price! Those crooks!!
Final Destination 5. Blu. $5.

My store still has plenty of Friends seasons, and others. If I wasn't trying to save a little....

I noticed a few other new movies, dvd and blu, I don't remember seeing. I was in a rush and didn't write a darn thing down.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I went in today to use another $5 off $20 coupon before it expired and found a "new" stock of $3 DVDs selling for 2/$5 on a Labor Day sale. I picked up for $2.50 each:

The Lord of the Rings Bakshi - even though I'm not a fan of his work and recall not caring for these when they came out. ...and I just saw it's FS - hmmm... it might go back...
The Green Hornet - Again, not much of a fan of this film *but* it's a favorite character so for the price I'll bite.
Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay - Even though I thought Go to Whitecastle was "just OK" I figured for $2.50 it's worth a viewing...
John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars - Another "midlin" film - picked it up because I like Carpenter's work, it was the only $3 ($2.50 on sale) copy (the others were $5), and I couldn't recall if I already own it. Aaaannnddd... I do own it - a $5 copy I picked up some time back from BL. :( Oh well... it'll go back.

I also caved and purchased these at 90% off:
Sweet Liberty ($.30) - with Alan Alda. I don't recall caring for it much but I've not seen it since it came out. If not, for thirty cents it's worth it for the case to swap for one that's broken.
One More Time ($.50) - Sammy Davis, Jr. and Peter Lawford in the sequel to Salt & Pepper. I don't think I've ever seen it but it's worth a chance for a half dollar. And... I already purchased *that* one from BL too! :( So... I may keep it for the case or just dump it in my duplicate pile for giving away/selling at some point.

There was a single copy of Best of Show but I picked that one up for about the same amout some time back. There were a few other "new" to BL titles but nothing really stood out.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I might return my Bakshi as well. There's a set out now with all 3 films. I'll wait for that to be cheap.

I remembered the 2-dvd set of Rear Window was at my store. $5 I think... tempting, but holding off to get a huge blu set of Hitchcock.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Remember that my store has several of the Looney Tunes Super stars, Roadrunner, Sylvester, and at least one more I can't remember. $5 each.

I have the full 6 volume collection of the big Golden collections. I've been confused about these super stars. Wondering if they are worth getting?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
Remember that my store has several of the Looney Tunes Super stars, Roadrunner, Sylvester, and at least one more I can't remember. $5 each.

I have the full 6 volume collection of the big Golden collections. I've been confused about these super stars. Wondering if they are worth getting?
I can't speak to the validity of the info but looking at Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes_Super_Stars ), all but two of the discs contain cartoons that weren't in the Golden Collections.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:

I own several of those...

I'm currently missing the 2 with *zero* new toons (Tweety & Sylvester: Feline Fwenzy) and (Bugs Bunny: Wascally Wabbit), Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote: Supergenius Hijinks (not a RR fan - there's enough for me in the GC sets), the Bugs Bunny: Hare Extraordinaire set (because of the presentation - but I *would* pick up a copy for ~$5), and Sylvester and Hippety Hopper: Marsupial Mayhem (price hasn't been "right" yet). Since you already own the GC sets I'd not waste money on either "Feline Fwenzy" or "Wascally Wabbit" - you already own all the included shorts. If that Sylvester set you've seen is the one with Hippety Hopper I'd jump on it! I've never seen it priced lower than ~$10. :)

So... of the others - I'd recommend them - especially at $5/each! My biggest gripe is they didn't include *all* the "missing" Foghorn Leghorn toons on his set and filled it out with other misc. stuff - at least it's all previously unreleased (except for 1 Foghorn Leghorn toon - a slap considering only 15 remain and that the entire set should have been nothing *but* Foghorn Leghorn) and the Daffy Duck: Frustrated Fowl messes up like that first Bugs set with many of the toons in WS rather then FS with no choice in viewing format - but there are still some good shorts in spite of the poor presentation. That was corrected on the Foghorn set as you get a choice so you can watch in uncropped FS or adulterated WS if you're of the "don't like them black bars" crowd.

The only one I've seen here is the Daffy Duck set. I'd love to stumble across the Sylvester & Hippety Hopper set for $5!

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
My store is way behind, these just showed up recently. None of them were there the last time I there, about 3 weeks ago. I picked up all 5 seasons of Fringe. I hope they are good, never seen it but always wanted to.
BobO'Link said:
There's a *new* waterfall display of TVonDVD titles hitting BL stores. Each season is $8.

Here's the list:

Chuck seasons 1-5Friends seasons 1-10Fringe seasons 1-5Gilmore Girls seasons 1-7Gossip Girl seasons 1-5Nip/Tuck seasons 1-6The O.C. seasons 1-4One Tree Hill seasons 1-6Southland seasons 1-5Two and a Half Men seasons 1-10

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks