What's new

Big Lots Sale (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I did a blind buy on Fringe myself. After my son highly recommended the series I picked up S1 used from Hastings for ~$2 several months back but never made time for a viewing. When those hit BL I went ahead and picked up the rest. I just started watching S1 a couple of weeks ago and so far I'm enjoying it.

The store here has received a restock on the original waterfall displays along with entirely new waterfalls of the same titles. So far they've gotten that display 3 times! From the looks of things most of the shoppers here have purchased what they want as that last refill doesn't appear to have been touched.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I don't got to BL very often, takes me an hour to get there, but I usually find a good deal on at least one DVD. Fringe was at a damn good price, so I jumped on it. If I don't like season 1, I can always return the others.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
There's another Friends and Family Days this weekend:
100114-pdp.jpg

Here's the link to the coupon should you *really* need one..

The store here had them by the register last time and if you didn't have one handy they'd just grab one and scan it. I expect the same this time out.

There are Halloween and Christmas DVDs arriving at some stores - the one here has none of them yet but I *did* find a copy of the previously mentioned Looney Tunes Super Stars: Bugs Bunny Hare Extraordinaire for $5 and scooped up a copy. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^They've been out here for at least 3 weeks. My grandson (age 11) was somewhat shocked when I pointed that out to him after he commented about Thanksgiving stuff already being out and it wasn't even Halloween yet! I said "I guess you didn't see all the Christmas stuff at the front of the store when we came in, eh?" His reply: "That's just not right!" Good kid! :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I suppose if you have or deal with kids, the early jump on Christmas by retailers will allow you to start the, "You'd better be extra good if you want Santa to bring you nice gifts" mantra early, as well. Might give you an extra month or two of leverage.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Went to BL today and picked up Punch-Drunk Love (2 disc SE) DVD for $3, hope it's good. Didn't see anything else new and they still had lots of the TV series sets. I'm half way through season 2 of Fringe and I'm enjoying it, glad I bought the sets.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Not much of a Sandler fan, I like Happy Gilmore, Click and Billy Madison but that's about it. I've heard good things about Punch and always wanted to check it out. I liked it, it's not the type of movie I normally watch but In I would watch it again.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm kind of the same. I like his SNL stuff, and the odd movie. But I thought Punch was fantastic. I hated Eight Crazy Nights. A depressing pile of poop, that one. :p

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I pretty much gave up on Sandler after seeing That's My Boy in the theatres with my brother and a friend, they laughed all the way through. I laughed a few time but thought it was pretty much awful. I'm sure I will like Punch more on repeat viewings but, hey, it was worth the price I paid. :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I stopped in today on the way home from Church to find they've apparently done *another* restock of the WB TV series! The *two* double-sided waterfall displays are packed to overflowing with several seasons/sets on some of the other waterfall displays they have up. I *did* find a smattering of new titles. All were $7 - one BR title and the rest are DVD.

Blu-Ray:
The Office - S6 on BR (they had over a dozen of these and this was the only season in stock)

DVD:
Bonnie and Clyde - 2 disc SE with a hardcover photo book and more.
Sex and the City: The Movie - The Wedding Collection Ultimate Collector's Edition
The Wizard of Oz - 2 disc SE remaster edition
Classic Christmas Favorites - This is the thicker boxed version. It's a 4 disc set that contains: Dr Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the newer "Deluxe Edition" disc), The Leprechauns' Christmas Gold, Pinocchio's Christmas, The Stingiest Man in Town, The Year Without a Santa Claus: Deluxe Edition, Rudolph's Shiny New Year, Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey, Frosty's Winter Wonderland, 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July.

IMHO the real winner here is that "Classic Christmas Favorites" set, for no reason other than the "Deluxe Edition" version of the animated How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The disc in that set is identical to the disc in the single release. At $7 it's a steal as that disc alone has never been below $7.99 at Amazon and I don't think I've ever seen it lower than ~$10 locally. There were 2 of those sets at the store here - I almost puchased one as a gift for my son's kids who don't have a copy (my daughter has a copy I gave them last year and I own a copy). The only thing that stopped me is my son's family is somewhat *decluttering* to get a bit of space as they are a 4 person/1 inside dog family in a smaller "starter" home. Unfortunately I'll have to call first to see if they have room.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Went to BL today, they had some new blu-rays at $2.88 ea. and all those TV sets still. I grabbed Superman/Shazam! The Return of Black Adam, couldn't pass it up at that price! I almost bought the animated Lord of the Rings movie and Eastwood's The Changeling, haven't seen it, but decided to wait, with Black Friday next week.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My wife broke a lamp in the living room so a trip to BL was in order. *Still* no "new" DVDs, although my granddaughter spotted Grandma Got Run Over by a Raindeer and I'm enough of a sucker to purchase it for her (well... a exchange really so it was less as I'd purchased the exchange disc sometime back for far less than the $5 cover). I *did* find some Christmas DVDs and CDs in Electronics but there was nothing they've not had before. The BF ad is also not very compelling - for BL or anyone else! Looks like my shopping will be all online this year... again. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Spotted a new title:

The Office - S3, S4, and S5

These were $8 each and there were 6-10 copies of each season. Nothing else new... I guess that's a good thing as I've picked up *way* too many newly released full series thanks to Shout! Factory.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
There were a *few* new TVonDVD sets yesterday. All $8 each or 2/$14 (marking is still on display case but I didn't purchase anything to verify):

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman - S3 & S4 - S4 is the repackaged version in a wide case rather than fold-out digipak. Both slashed UPC. I've read people are also finding S2 but there were none here.

House - S2 & S3

Nikita (the new one) - S2 (reports of people finding S1 & S3)

La Femme Nikita - S4 (reports of people finding S3 & S5)

They *still* have 4 waterfall displays full of the previous titles and worked in the few new ones in the cracks. I saw only 3-4 copies of each of those I mentioned. If they have more in the back I feel for them as these are just not moving here.

The manager saw me and came over to tell me they're having a "Friends and Family 20% off weekend" starting this Saturday (1/24/15) with a Buzz Club card and Sunday with the coupon. They weren't handing out coupons yet and I've not yet seen one in email.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I forgot about whooshing in and out of there just before christmas doing the shopping. I picked up House 2 and 3 to add to the one I'd bought previously. Still haven't started watching those. Heard good things though...

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I'm kicking myself for not buying the Tom Hanks/John Candy movie Volunteers when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't sure if I had it or how good it is but when I went back yesterday, it was gone. If I see another copy next time, i'll grab it. Didn't buy anything. I did see those TV shows plus they added some Disney blus like The Muppets and Sorcerer's Apprentice but they want $10 each.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I saw the Disney stuff too. I just bought Muppets from amazon for similar price. Still in plastic but I'll watch it this week sometime. Can't wait!

Volunteers is fun 1980s stuff. It also has that Asian fella from Sixteen Candles.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Went in today and only purchased "The Essential Bugs Bunny" for $4 after discount. I have to look up to see if there's anything there I don't already own. I *think* this is the one outside of the Golden/Platinum collections that actually has "new to DVD" material.

*EDIT*

OK... it has *one* short that's "kind of" new as it's a remastered version of one that's only been released unremastered on the GC sets and was issued previously on the "Academy Awards Animation Collection" set in remastered form. Disc 2 is compiled of TV Specials, *recent* shorts, a movie excerpt, and a featurette. I can live without it so it's going back unless I decide to give it to the grand kids.

I *did* see S2 of Lois and Clark (it's in the new non-digipak box) as well as S5 & S2 of La Femme Nikita. I already own L&C and would have purchased La Femme had they had S1 as it would be a blind buy so I don't want to start "in the middle."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks