1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bi-Amp vs Bi-Wire my Speakers - Help!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by WendellW, Aug 6, 2006.

1. WendellW

WendellW Member

Hi all:

I just installed my all-Klipsch 5.1 system (RB-81-Mains, RC-62-Center, RW-10d-SW, and 5650-S-Surrounds) and was reviewing my receiver (Denon 2807) manual and saw that I can take my unused Surround Back amp and "Bi-Amp" my front main speakers, if I chose to. The manual says this would provide "dynamic sound with a range wider than that of full range systems" if I did this.

The Denon is rated at 110x7 watts. So this would take an additional 110w and send them to the Klipsch Mains, WHICH are set up for "bi-WIRING" (and I note the difference between "bi-amp" and "bi-wire").

So my questions are: 1) Can I bi-amp these speakers (rated at 150w/RMS - 600 Peak), and 2) Will i gain any perceptible benefif from this?

Help me please!
    Thanks/Wendell

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Well-Known Member

It should provide you with you with better dynamics provided they are getting twice the power. In my experiance Bi-amping is good while bi-wiring seems to have no effect. More power better, same power and weird connection just not seeing it.

Seth=L

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Well-Known Member

John
    Biwiring serves no purpose.

Bi amping generally requires separate amps for maximum benefit. By biamping from a receiver, you are still using the same power supply so the benefit is not as big as having separate amps.

4. EvanW

EvanW Well-Known Member

bi wiring doesnt do anything at all, bi amping does, but like john i really dont think bi amping from ur receiver is gonna do much, but go get another power amp and u might hear a difference i dont know, that also depends on ur ears, u could always run ur midbass drivers off ur solid state receiver and get a valvestate for ur mids and ur tweeters and i think ull hear a difference then, i dunno if id do it in revese because most tube amps dont do low freq as well as high but that also depends on the amp.