What's new

Bewitched Season 3 (1 Viewer)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
He says something about ABC's second season, so I'm not sure what he meant. The style of EM's hair plus the couch are from the third season.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

I have this in my collection. I think the reference to "ABC's second season" was because a couple years ago they were calling themselves "The New ABC". I saw it at the end of a Patty Duke Show I have with all the network and sponsor tags intact. The ABC tag read "The new ABC"

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
No -- here's what it is.

Back in those days, the new season began in September, and in January the flops were cancelled and some new shows started (and some shows changed time slots.) They would refer to January as being "the second season." It wasn't just ABC -- CBS and NBC did it, too.

And, indeed, it was in January of 1967 when "Bewitched" moved from 9:00 EST to 8:30. This promo was strictly to tell people about the new schedule for the "second season."

Nowadays, it seems the very concept of "seasons" is long gone, with shows coming and going all the time.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am sure you are correct Joe. Love On The Roof Top only lasted one season and since the show was already on the air per the promo, this is definitely
a January promo.

In the 60's ABC was known as the 13 week network as so many of their shows were cancelled after 13 weeks. In those days the minimum order for a new show was 13 weeks and the networks ran all the shows produced. There may have been a few exceptions to this but shows were allowed to run longer before being pulled off the air.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Yes, shows were given more of a chance back then. But I can tell you one, at least, that was pulled quicker than 13 weeks, and that was "The Tammy Grimes Show" in 1966 -- on ABC, of course.

What "gets me" about today is that a show will be hailed as a great success with a rating that back in 1966 wouldn't get it past 13 weeks.

Even a "Top 10" show today has a rating that would be considered mediocre back in network TV's prime.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Mark Simpson aka The Bewitched Collector recently discovered an awesome RARE promo from the Third Season concerning Liz hosting the Tournament of Roses Parade.

Take a look at it here: YouTube - 1967 ABC Tournament of Roses Parade RARE Promo

I think it's awesome how "new" promos or 'extras' always seem to pop up...too bad Sony never includes them*

*With the exception of EM's "Sisters at Heart" intro/closing.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
What a great promo. Thanks to Mark for posting it on youtube, and thanks David for calling it to our attention here! :emoji_thumbsup: I love seeing those things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks